2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2011 model year F-150

Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 AM
jonmacs22
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone needs to keep in mind that the EB has already been in production in multiple other FOMOCO vehicles. This is not a brand new engine being used for the first time.

Also, remember that the powertrain has a 5yr/60k miles warranty. So unless you drive 20k miles per year, you are covered. On top of that, if you are really worried, buying an extended powertrain warranty from Ford at time of purchase to say 7yrs/90k miles will cost less than a $1k. So then you have a huge warranty which is an added bonus if you decide to sell the truck after say 4 years.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 AM
curtw48
Senior User
Everyone needs to keep in mind that the EB has already been in production in multiple

The Eb has been used in passenger cars, not trucks towing 10,000 ponuds.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 AM
postman524
Junior User
Originally Posted by curtw48
Exactly!! Running a turbo boosted engine in a car or van is a totally different world than running it in a truck that is pulling heavy loads under a consistent basis. Time will tell, but I am personally much more comfortable with a normally aspirated larger 8 in my truck. I'm very disappointed with Ford's decision to offer the max tow package only on the 3.5L EcoBoost and the 6.2L Lariat trim 2011 F-150's. It totally took a way one of my choices for my new truck. It's now a SD F-250 or a Ram 1500. The new F-150 XLT with a 5.0L engine and max tow package would have been the perfect truck for me. I think Ford is trying to box in buyers to up their overall mileage figures.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 AM
jonmacs22
Junior User

I recognize that and the key is that it is in the tight confines of a passenger car engine bay where space is non-existent thus causing cooling to be one of the biggest potential issues. Put the motor into the cavernous F-150 engine compartment and these issues are materially reduced.

I don't get why people are so worried. A number is a number. Do you think that a V-8 produced horsepower or pound-foot of torque is somehow GREATER than that produced by a V-6? Obviously not, or so I hope.

So what is your concern? Longevity? Get a warranty. Power? The motors are certified by the same methods. Please do tell.... Look at the results of the diesel 6-cylinder motor; you know the Cummins one. It has competed incredibly well for years and years against the V-8 offerings of the competitors. It was not until model year 2011 did it finally fall behind and we can all accept that said result is due to bankruptcy (lack of funds available for investment). I never heard of anyone complain about or fear that the Cummins would not be as good as the Powerstroke or Duramax purely because it had two less pistons.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 AM
curtw48
Senior User
Jonmac,

I have nothing against v6s. I hope this engine turns out to be a wonderful engine. I just don't want to be the guine pig. There is more at issue here than heat build up. Turbo charging an engine creates a great amount of pressure on all the parts of the engine. Diesels are built heavier to withstand all that extra pressure. I just want to see this engine proven in a towing capacity before I spend my hard earned money on it. Sure, maybe a warranty will repair it if need be, but what about down time, and headaches that go along with repair. I don't want or need that. The 6.2 is being proven in the super duty now in a real world situation.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 AM
jonmacs22
Junior User
Trust me, I have respect for your position, but I think it is also useful to discuss misconceptions.

In the end, so many of us will be swayed by what the magazines write anyway. So from that vantage point, I hope they start test driving these things asap.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 AM
hsfbfan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jonmac,

I have nothing against v6s. I hope this engine turns out to be a wonderful engine. I just don't want to be the guine pig. There is more at issue here than heat build up. Turbo charging an engine creates a great amount of pressure on all the parts of the engine. Diesels are built heavier to withstand all that extra pressure. I just want to see this engine proven in a towing capacity before I spend my hard earned money on it. Sure, maybe a warranty will repair it if need be, but what about down time, and headaches that go along with repair. I don't want or need that. The 6.2 is being proven in the super duty now in a real world situation.
If you do some research these engines have been designed with diesel technology to handle the increased pressure of the turbo charging. These engines were purpose built to be workhorses.

The 5.0 has not been proven in a truck either.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 AM
postman524
Junior User
Fact: smaller engines have to work that much harder to put out similar HP and torque as the big boys. Read more heat buildup, probable higher rpm's and compression numbers and more wear and tear, which results in greater probability of durability problems down the road. Again, it's a personal decision, the old adage "don't send a boy to do a man's work" applies here.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:38 PM
jonmacs22
Junior User
Originally Posted by postman524
Fact: smaller engines have to work that much harder to put out similar HP and torque as the big boys. Read more heat buildup, probable higher rpm's and compression numbers and more wear and tear, which results in greater probability of durability problems down the road. Again, it's a personal decision, the old adage "don't send a boy to do a man's work" applies here.
Your facts are completely incorrect when forced induction is involved.

Additionally, take a look at the RPM level at which the 6.2L motor hits its peak torque in the Super Duty trucks: 4500rpms. Now let's examine when the Ecoboost motor hits its peak torque in the Lincoln MKT 3500rpm. So please, tell me which motor is working harder to achieve maximum output rate???
Not convinced yet, ok, let's take a look at the torque curve for the Ecoboost motor in the Taurus SHO. There isn't a curve; its flat. The Ecoboost in this application makes peak torque of 350 from 1500-5250 RPMs.
I'm willing to concede that the output curve for the F-150 application may be slightly different, but I'm unwilling to concede that it will be materially different. You speak of needing to turn higher RPMs to achieve maximum output to make up for lack of displacement and it is simply not correct.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:54 PM
akalogan
Senior User
I for one am willing to applaud Ford for going after new tech. Too many times it seems that people are unwilling to try new things (if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality). Which I might add tends to dumb things down. Now I do like simple, but if a v-6 can do then guess what I am going with it as an engine. I am sure that someone will argue that (as seen above) a v-8 is tested and true use of a truck engine. That is about as silly as you can get. I remember when Ford dropped the 460 and went to the v-10. Guess what IT did just fine. Still does for that matter. So before you dog the eco boost, maybe just maybe.... sit back and watch for a year or 2. Me if I have to replace my ranger in the next year or so guess which direction I am going. At the very least take Tseekins approach and sit it out and study it. Don't just assume. Now I will get off my soap box. @ Tseekins I am old enough to remember the bad years of gas turbos... barely.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:40 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Just a little ps here- WE as truck owners need to support Ford as it is the most progressive auto manufacturer right now. And as such you must all realize that we have a "liberal" government that does not like "gas guzzlers" and will make it more and more difficult to get a decent full sized truck as time goes by. So Ford needs to be supported in its newer tech trucks so it does continue to improve.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmacs22

Additionally, take a look at the RPM level at which the 6.2L motor hits its peak torque in the Super Duty trucks: 4500rpms. Now let's examine when the Ecoboost motor hits its peak torque in the Lincoln MKT 3500rpm. So please, tell me which motor is working harder to achieve maximum output rate???
Not convinced yet, ok, let's take a look at the torque curve for the Ecoboost motor in the Taurus SHO. There isn't a curve; its flat. The Ecoboost in this application makes peak torque of 350 from 1500-5250 RPMs.
I'm willing to concede that the output curve for the F-150 application may be slightly different, but I'm unwilling to concede that it will be materially different. You speak of needing to turn higher RPMs to achieve maximum output to make up for lack of displacement and it is simply not correct.
You are wasting your breath. I have been trying to convince these guys the same thing but they don't listen. They don't understand that the ecoboost may well be running SLOWER than the V8 or they don't want to admit it.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
HAPPY_trails
Junior User
To prove the toughness and durability of the new EB, Ford installed it in their Ford Raptor R race truck for this year's Best In The Desert race.

It may not be towing anything, but I'm sure desert racing is much more brutal than a road trip towing a superlite 25' RV at 65mph.

Sources: Ford SVT Raptor R to be Powered by EcoBoost V-6 - PickupTrucks.com News

Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 PM
postman524
Junior User

HP is RPM X TORQUE (compression) divided by a number which I don't recall at the moment. The point is that you don't increase HP without increasing RPM's and/or compression.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Everyone needs to keep in mind that the EB has already been in production in multiple other FOMOCO vehicles. This is not a brand new engine being used for the first time.

Also, remember that the powertrain has a 5yr/60k miles warranty. So unless you drive 20k miles per year, you are covered. On top of that, if you are really worried, buying an extended powertrain warranty from Ford at time of purchase to say 7yrs/90k miles will cost less than a $1k. So then you have a huge warranty which is an added bonus if you decide to sell the truck after say 4 years.
What about those of us who drive 30K miles a year? GM and Dodge offer 5 year/100K mile warranties...why doesn't ford want to at least keep up with the competition? Are they saying their product is inferior?

I've often wondered about this. Why should I have to "purchase" an extended warranty, that, may or maynot be there when it comes due when the competition is offering a better warranty for less money?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 model year F-150