Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2010, 04:51 PM
New User

pjeitler is starting off with a positive reputation.
7 pin FICM repair

Thanks for all the contribution to this forum. It has helped me fix my cold start problem. I wanted to share my experience and hopefully help someone else.
I have a '03 F250 with the 6.0 PSD with 130k miles on it. Last week the truck started to idle really rough when I first started it in the morning. After a few minutes it would clear up and run ok. Subsequent starts were ok. And when I say it idled rough I mean the whole truck was shaking like crazy. After some searching on the various forums I thought I'd unplug the EGR valve but I didn't help. I pulled it today just to be sure it wasn't clogged up - it had some black stuff on it but no gunk. Cleaned with carb cleaner, got a new o-ring kit from the dealer and reinstalled. Next check was the FICM. Checked the voltage with the ignition on and it showed 48 V. Per the forum posts I knew that the engine needed to be cold, however.
This morning I went out and had some help running the ignition so I could check the voltages.
I have the 7 pin FICM so the positive lead of the meter goes to the left screw on the row with 4 pins (towards the passenger side). With the ignition on, but not running I showed 48 V. When cranking the engine it dropped to 17V and when it ran it was around 23-25 V. You are supposed to have a 48 V all the time. Mentally preparing myself for shelling out several hundred $$$ for a new FICM I pressed on.
I remove the FICM and disassembled. I looked at the high voltage module but I couldn't find any loose solder connections. I decided to resolder anyway since it was already taken apart. The only instructions I could find online were for the 4 pin FICM, but I found one post that said all of the solder connections were the same, just the front side resistors are in a different spot. These resistors are labeled Dale R0075.
I dabbed some rosin flux on all the required spots and resolderd. I have a pretty good soldering station and I got my soldering skills from modding old game consoles. Soldering the FICM was easy in comparison.
Then I reassembled the unit and installed, crossed my fingers and checked voltages. 48V on every scenario. Put everything back together and took for a test ride. Truck started right up and idled smoothly.
Final test will be tomorrow when the truck is cold again, but I feel pretty comfortable that it will still work.

Thanks DrQuad and his great post on FICM repair. It helped me tremendously.

I hope this post will help someone with the 7 pin FICM.

Update: Tested this morning with the engine cold and it started right up and ran smooth. Cold start problem fixed.

Last edited by pjeitler; 08-29-2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Update
Old 08-29-2010, 04:23 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Thanks for posting your good experience.

I just hope everyone remembers this is a "last ditch effort" to save yourself several $$$ by doing this repair. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Hell will freeze over and I'll ice skate with the devil before I EVER lower my flag

Tim
Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 AM
New User

volvoczesci is starting off with a positive reputation.
hi if i send you foto my fcim on 7 screw in side can you mark what i do ?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 AM
New User

Sure, send me the pictures.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 AM
Junior User

04gray350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hope you get this. I am running into the same issue with the idle. now I do out and the truck won't start hot or cold and I have it plugged in. Should this be the first place I look?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:05 AM
New User

Its easy enough to measure the voltage on the FICM that it's a good place to start. If your voltages are 48V than you'll need to look elsewhere.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Junior User

04gray350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Checking tomorrow
Old 12-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Posting Guru

High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.
Wow, cool post, awesome job on the fix. Would you send me a copy of those photos too? Superbikecj@gmail.com

Thanks!

2004 F350 6.0. Lariat FX4. Other assorted cars/bikes.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Senior User

craftsmangary is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, I have read a few post on repairing these FICM's and the test pin is on a 4 pin is the one closest the the fender when it is still mounted, is this correct???? and on the seven pin it is on the opposite side, to the passenger side it the row of 4 pins, correct??? Is the repair the same 4 or 7 pin FICM's??
Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 PM
New User

deejay0380 is starting off with a positive reputation.
okay so mine left me stranded and it's a 7 pin i had it apart the other day and re soldered the main post i didn't know that it was basically the whole thing that needed solder. so wish me luck!!!
Oh and thank you everyone that has gone through this... it's frustrating when you have no idea and people are tossing $500 part in your face..
Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
SPONSOR

FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.
Note that while re-soldering works in some cases, it doesn't work in a whole lot of others as npccpartsman said.

Directions for the voltage testing can be found on the FAQ page of ficmrepair.com.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com
Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 PM
New User

deejay0380 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5030tinkerer View Post
Note that while re-soldering works in some cases, it doesn't work in a whole lot of others as npccpartsman said.

Directions for the voltage testing can be found on the FAQ page of ficmrepair.com.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com
That maybe.... but it worked for me... burnin diesel as we speak
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM
New User

F250RD is starting off with a positive reputation.
I repaired my ficm same way, IDS tells me I have 45v on KOEO, but when I go to KOER it drops to 29v. I am going to do a cold start tommorow and see if it starts up fine, after I repaired it the truck fired right up, but at about 10 this morning I put in a known good ficm and drove the truck around a bit so it was already warm. Will come back with results
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 PM
SPONSOR

FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.FICMrepair.com has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250RD View Post
I repaired my ficm same way, IDS tells me I have 45v on KOEO, but when I go to KOER it drops to 29v. I am going to do a cold start tommorow and see if it starts up fine, after I repaired it the truck fired right up, but at about 10 this morning I put in a known good ficm and drove the truck around a bit so it was already warm. Will come back with results
It sounds like you are one of the many where just re-soldering didn't work. It may well be that neighboring components (mosfets, caps, various diodes, etc) are damaged. Let me know if we can help. It's worth ensuring that your batteries and alternator are in tip-top shape as well. Good luck!!

Ed
2005 Excursion 6.0 PSD. RAS, 4" MBRP T409, Edge Insight CTS, ScanGauge II, coolant filter, DELO ELC, upgraded FICM from FICMrepair.com, SCT, blue spring upgrade, trans bypass filter, Rancho 9000XL's, SS ESOF lines, Rotella 5W40, Clifford Remote Start, Prodigy.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:52 PM
New User

F250RD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com View Post
It sounds like you are one of the many where just re-soldering didn't work. It may well be that neighboring components (mosfets, caps, various diodes, etc) are damaged. Let me know if we can help. It's worth ensuring that your batteries and alternator are in tip-top shape as well. Good luck!!

Ed
We had a customer bring in an aftermarket power source for their ficm and have us install it. Do you know where I would beable to find that? Not a half shell. My coworker has a used known good ficm for 250 but im wondering if the powersource would be cheaper
Old 08-28-2013, 11:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
60, 60l, 777, check, dale, diesel, ficm, ford, pin, r0075, repair, resistor, screw, soldering, test