6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

how to turn off CEL after plugging EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:08 PM
fastang50
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how to turn off CEL after plugging EGR?

Hey folks, getting tired of my EGR valve plugging up and disabling my Excursion, I pulled the valve and installed an EGR plug. The valve is still plugged in and sitting on the intake.

After a couple of drive cycles the CEL came on for "low EGR flow".... yeah, you don't say.

Anyhow, what's the easiest way to turn this thing off? I don't want to crank up HP with a "tuner", but if that's what it takes. Can I turn off the CEL and retain the factory performance?

Old 11-08-2016, 04:03 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Tuning is the only way I know to get rid of it. If you are dead set on keeping factory performance you can get a custom tune to have it turned off. Contact Matt at Gearhead Automotive. If you have an SCT tuner he can help you out, or the SCT may be able to disable it as a stand alone item right out of the box.

I will say I have a 13K tow tune from Matt and I can't stand the lack of power when unhooked. I run the SRL+ when unloaded and it's awesome.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
You can get a tune that does nothing to HP levels.
But that is the only option to get rid of the CEL.
You should talk to Matt at Powerstroke Diesel Performance Tuning
He has some that don't up the HP and are very nice to drive.
If you tow with your rig then you can also do a trans tune and that can also
remove the CEL from popping up for the valve. If fact you can stick the
valve back in and it will not open. I pulled mine after about 20K miles
and it was not even dirty. It's been tuned off the whole time.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 11-10-2016, 12:55 AM
siesta
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
You can get a tune that does nothing to HP levels.
But that is the only option to get rid of the CEL.
You should talk to Matt at Powerstroke Diesel Performance Tuning
He has some that don't up the HP and are very nice to drive.
If you tow with your rig then you can also do a trans tune and that can also
remove the CEL from popping up for the valve. If fact you can stick the
valve back in and it will not open. I pulled mine after about 20K miles
and it was not even dirty. It's been tuned off the whole time.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

My question is the same as the OP...but I haven't welded my EGR shut yet. That seems the easy/cheap part. Then its several hundreds to get an SCT tuner to turn the CEL off. So, is the mechanics of that, leaving a tuner plugged into the OBD II? (not what I want, as I presently like my ScanGauge). Is the CEL turned off for good, or do you have to turn if off frequently?
Thanks for any further clarity on this.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:10 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just because you installed a plug and even if you install tuning to turn the CEL off... you still run the risk of a ruptured oil cooler... and will still need to watch your temperatures.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:28 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Also you tune the truck and remove the tuner and put it some place safe.

BTW as I said I have mine turned off that not only turns off any CEL
that it could throw nut it also turns off the EGR valve so nothing goes past it.

Mine has been turned off sense 2013 and every time I have pulled the valve it's
been clean.

One of the things that can be done when the tune is written is the EGR valve
control table is "0" out so that the PCM sees the valve but has no instructions as to when
to open it. So without any table to say open at X it will stay closed. That also helps because
the valve is still in place and active. Just never commanded to open.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 11-10-2016, 01:33 AM
siesta
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Just because you installed a plug and even if you install tuning to turn the CEL off... you still run the risk of a ruptured oil cooler... and will still need to watch your temperatures.

Yes, certainly will do that. Can you explain why the risk though? It seems my risk should drop considerably from 'stock', and coolant should be a few degrees cooler with loss of exposure to exhaust. I've done the usual flush with Restore, switched to EC-1 coolant, run a coolant filter and have a relatively low mileage motor. My present delta is 9 degrees on the level at 65mph (and that's 'loaded', as by definition, my E-450 RV can't unload). I probably have some oil cooler plugging, but its not pushed me into the danger zone yet, and I hope I've headed that off for a long while.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:48 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Silica build-up occurs in the oil cooler.... removing the EGR cooler prevents the reduced coolant flow to the EGR cooler, add heat with reduced coolant and the passages crack. It then ruptures and then allows coolant into the cylinders.... you've possibly prevented that with a plug by removing the exhaust, removing the EGR cooler absolutely prevents that.

You have done nothing for the oil cooler, only prevented EGR cooler ruptures due to excessive temperatures from exhaust gasses, you still need to watch the oil cooler temperatures... for reduced efficiency and rupture. Higher temps than the 10-15* are not as important once the EGR coolers gone, but still an issue to watch once your closer to the efficiency limit of the oil to water transfer limits the cooler affords.

Your risk is reduced, not gone.
Coolant filters remove debris, not silica slime or a chemical reaction between fluids. No substitute for fluid changes and good maintenance practices.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:50 AM
siesta
Senior User
Also you tune the truck and remove the tuner and put it some place safe.

BTW as I said I have mine turned off that not only turns off any CEL
that it could throw nut it also turns off the EGR valve so nothing goes past it.

Mine has been turned off sense 2013 and every time I have pulled the valve it's
been clean.

One of the things that can be done when the tune is written is the EGR valve
control table is "0" out so that the PCM sees the valve but has no instructions as to when
to open it. So without any table to say open at X it will stay closed. That also helps because
the valve is still in place and active. Just never commanded to open.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Thanks! That'll be helpful to pass along to whomever I get to write the tune when the time comes. I understand SCT doesn't actually do that part themselves.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:11 AM
siesta
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Silica build-up occurs in the oil cooler.... removing the EGR cooler prevents the reduced coolant flow to the EGR cooler, add heat with reduced coolant and the passages crack. It then ruptures and then allows coolant into the cylinders.... you've possibly prevented that with a plug by removing the exhaust, removing the EGR coolerit absolutely prevents that.

You have done nothing for the oil cooler, only prevented EGR cooler ruptures due to excessive temperatures from exhaust gasses, you still need to watch the oil cooler temperatures... for reduced efficiency and rupture. Higher temps than the 10-15* are not as important once the EGR coolers gone, but still an issue to watch once your closer to the efficiency limit of the oil to water transfer limits the cooler affords.

Your risk is reduced, not gone.
Coolant filters remove debris, not silica slime or a chemical reaction between fluids. No substitute for fluid changes and good maintenance practices.

Thanks WatsonR, that was very clearly explained. For sure, I'm keeping up with fluid changes etc. Previous owner ran Ford Gold, and I saw some obvious silica gel build-up in my system, as the vehicle unavoidably does run some higher temps on long steep grades and the silica drop-outs would have been promoted then. I'm beginning to keep a log of temperature deltas as was suggested, and if things ever get outta hand I'll be able to see that, and I'll plan for a new oil cooler.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:18 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Monitoring is essential to early detection and correction to prevent failures that cause major damage. Using ELC, keeping track of the trend, taking steps to minimize effects and maintenance.. Your on the right track!

Old 11-10-2016, 04:29 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Recovery time would something to watch. If once the load is off (over the hill)
then as the cooling fan is doing it's job you don't see a reasonable drop in heat
I would start looking at the oil cooler. In most cases with a good cooler you should
see a decent recovery time from heavy loads.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 11-10-2016, 04:31 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Do you ever sleep or just cat nap?

Old 11-10-2016, 04:36 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I used to work swing/graves so I am up all night and take
naps with the cats during the day.

Having that bug really threw me off and I am still recovering.
Also I am sitting here thinking that is the nuts burn Seattle down
because of the new Duck in the house we can start from scratch.
They are just like the sports fans when there team looses.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 11-11-2016, 12:01 AM
siesta
Senior User
I used to work swing/graves so I am up all night and take
naps with the cats during the day.

Having that bug really threw me off and I am still recovering.
Also I am sitting here thinking that is the nuts burn Seattle down
because of the new Duck in the house we can start from scratch.
They are just like the sports fans when there team looses.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Thanks for the reminder about tracking oil temp recovery after a good climb....I do watch that periodically. That jet engine fan really is a marvel.

Sorry to hear about the Seattle 'unrest'....I'm not that far away (Victoria, BC), but politically we're on another planet, and things are pretty tame up here so far. Maybe we'll see another influx of you'all, which hasn't really happened since the sixties draft dodgers thing (before WE build a wall of course).....sorry, had to lighten things up

Quick Reply: how to turn off CEL after plugging EGR?