New to me high miler 2001 F250, early observations and questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 PM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me high miler 2001 F250, early observations and questions

Hi Guys,

I've been looking for a Toyota Tacoma the last few weeks as a gas saver but I found a 2001 F250 XL reg. cab 7.3l diesel for $3500 that I couldn't pass up even with the high miles (292k miles).

I picked it up for $3500 and didn't even do an oasis report so I hope I didn't get a bad one. I know it has a few issues but doing a quick search the last 24 hrs I think most can be shade-tree fixed with the help of you gurus!

1. ac compressor turns off after 10 minutes resulting in warm air. Quick search on FTE says I can file down the shims so that the air gap is a little closer.

2. raw diesel fuel smell. Quick search on FTE says I should look for fuel drain leaks. Looks dry to me so far but I will have to check the up-pipes. Where are those located?

3. I think it has an exhaust leak when i accelerate hard i can hear a fast popping type sound. This could also be my up-pipes right?

4. Comparing this 01 7.3 to my 02 7.3l (95k mile) excursion my excursion has double the power in acceleration. I'm hoping this has to do with the leaky up-pipes and lack of boost?!

Pros. Body is in good condition considering the mileage. Usually trucks with this many miles are downgraded to cardboard collecting trucks with cardboard stacked 15 feet high and just mangled. Also no leaks that I can see on the bottom of the under carriage. But I do have to find the diesel smell. Bed is in good condition but I will have to bed liner it or spray line it.

I have a spare set of XLT type wheels and tires that I will mount on her today or tomorrow and I plan to keep my eyes open for a crew cab style 40/20/40 front row seat set as I do not like the ripped 1pc bench.

I have a spare factory 6 disc from my 02 excursion that i'm hoping will plug and play. And if I get lucky on craigslist I will pickup a nice chrome bumper for cheap.

Thanks in advance.

Erik

Old 08-27-2010, 01:43 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Having done your research, it looks like you are well on your way to resolving this truck's "issues".

Great buy, by the way!

The seat you are looking for will not allow you access to the storage (however little) behind the seat, as nothing folds forward.

Get the blue fuel drain O-rings from Guzzle. I'll be the last time you'll do that job.

Why not take it to the Bay Area get-together tomorrow in (edited) Morgan Hill, and get to know some of the local guys in your area? They can be a big help to you.

Pop

Old 08-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Erik, like Pop posted, we're having a NorCal get together/tech day at Fat Diesel's place in Gilroy tomorrow.

Come on down and we can finally meet! We can also help you diagnose your problems with the new-to-you truck.

Stewart

PS - Pop, camera battery is charging. Should have those AC pics to you later tonight

Old 08-27-2010, 04:30 PM
jackstraw
Tuned
Originally Posted by stangclassic66
1. ac compressor turns off after 10 minutes resulting in warm air. Quick search on FTE says I can file down the shims so that the air gap is a little closer.
I've read about the shims on here as well but I've been meaning to read some more to figure out how to tell if the shims would fix that or if the a/c fluid is just worn out?

This never quite makes it to the top of the to-do list though and where I live this is just about a moot point for the year.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by jackstraw
I've read about the shims on here as well but I've been meaning to read some more to figure out how to tell if the shims would fix that or if the a/c fluid is just worn out?
If your air gap is out of spec, getting it properly shimmed will solve the air gap problem, which could be a persons only problem.

See Marv's how-to for properly shimming the air gap. http://springerpop.net/F350/air_gap.html

If the problem with a persons AC is not limited to the air gap, then naturally proper diagnosis of the overall problem is necessary.

Stewart

Old 08-27-2010, 05:51 PM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Thanks for the invite guys! I may have to catch the next one as my wife will kill me for all the hobbies i've had lately. From salmon fishing to target shooting to weekday softball to my love for diesels, an "out of the blue" notice to hang out with the guys would probably have me trying to figure out how to talk my way out of an argument. lol

I went out and spent some time diagnosing some issues.

I've confirmed a fast fuel drip from the rear of the fuel bowl. Gonna run to Autozone tonight to pickup the o-rings so I can wrench on her tomorrow. Should I rush out to the Ford parts store or will the Autozone o-ring suffice?

I fired up the engine and flipped the AC on and I watched for 5 minutes as the AC Compressor clutch would engage for 3 minutes, then disengage for 3, then engage for 4 mins then disengage again. When you turn it on, that clutch should stay engaged until you turn off the AC right?

I think I may have found the boost leak to the engine. The boot on the passenger side intercooler was full of soot,grease and grime. The driver side was similar but not as bad. The top two boots connected to the spider looked clean. I guess I will buy a boot kit and replace as necessary.

I tried to peak from above the engine compartment to check the manifolds but I couldn't get a good enough angle. The flanges around the turbo looked clean.

Stew we definitely have to meetup one of these days. I've known you before FTE back during the days i used to visit M&M.com! everyday

Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by stangclassic66
Thanks for the invite guys... an "out of the blue" notice to hang out with the guys would probably have me trying to figure out how to talk my way out of an argument. lol
But hangin' with the guys aint the reason you're coming down, working on the truck is!

Seriously bro, come on down. I have a fuel bowl rebuild kit from Bob's diesel o-ring site (a supporting vendor here). I got it for my wife's Ex (I already used one kit for my F250), and just haven't gotten around to putting it on yet.

Come down and you can use the kit, all I ask is you replace it whenever you get the cash, otherwise my wife will be giving ME the what-for, LOL! She already gives me a hard time because her Ex comes after my F250, mod-wise!

I'm still a moderator over at M&M, but since it's a classic Mustang/Ford site, the Lightning forum doesn't get much traffic. I end up talking to myself mostly, LOL!

Stewart

Old 08-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
ITS MORGAN HILL !!!!

But heck ya, bring er down tomorrow (Sat). You might even like talking shop with me and my 289 powered Falcon convertible and your presumed 289 powered 66 Mustang.

Where are you? We're at about 101 and Bailey, just south of the southern junction of 101 and 85 in South San Jose. I have some chicken, steak, snausages ...