1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Engine bay-paint it black?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine bay-paint it black?

Setting aside what the Rolling Stones might suggest, I am closing in on removing and repainting my inner fenders and then the firewall... the engine bay in toto.

I am not looking for aesthetic opinions, but rather, seeking a reason to paint it black (heat absorbing?) or a lighter color... even body color. Sage green for the viewers who do not follow all that closely.

While we are in the engine bay, sans fenders, I hope to perfect the front tilt hood geometry. Then reassemble. Which brings us to another point... what do you guys use in the way of panel sealer? Seems my po used plumbers putty to go between mated metal surfaces. (I'm probably calling 'panel sealer' the wrong thing.)

It's nice to be so far along that almost all I have left are these few dumb questions. Thanks guys.

best, himmelberg

Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Paint color won't make any real difference in heat absorption/reflection. The disadvantage of anything but Chassis Black is that you'll feel compelled to clean it -- being in the West, you know what I'm talking about.

For sealant, butyl seam sealant is the ticket, that's what most OEM's use. It's available from many sources, I got some at Eastwood and it's great. Sticks well and levels itself pretty good.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The original Parts were painted black as a cost savings - both the cost of the paint and the reduction in labor by not painting them individual colors.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:27 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by himmelberg

I am not looking for aesthetic opinions...
Ahhh, but that is the only real reason to paint anything. Purely for looks. If we didn't care what it looked like, we'd just leave it bare metal and rust away.

... even body color. Sage green for the viewers who do not follow all that closely.
Thank you for the refresher. It's not that we don't follow closely, it's that we're old and can't keep track of everyone's project here. There's just too many of us.

Which brings us to another point... what do you guys use in the way of panel sealer? Seems my po used plumbers putty to go between mated metal surfaces. (I'm probably calling 'panel sealer' the wrong thing.)
At your local automotive paint store, and other places perhaps, too, you can get "strip caulk" to use between your panels. It's little minature pieces of butyl rope designed for this purpose. Comes in a box, and not overly expensive.

3M Strip-Caulk: Autobody Store

It's nice to be so far along that almost all I have left are these few dumb questions. Thanks guys.

best, himmelberg
Congratulations!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the dumb question, I was wondering the exact same thing....now we know...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of dumb questions...whats the purpose of the chalking between the panels? I thought most panels where just painted and then assembled.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:25 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Got it. Thanks, gang... one can always count on y'all.

I'm not so sure that the only reason to paint anything is to make it look good. I recall that certain aircraft have radar reflectivity as a requirement. My problem is that radar reflective paint doesn't come in sage green. Bwahahaha.

Once again, Ross, our neighbor to the west has the practical answer for west Texas. By the way, I painted the roof of the truck white. Also non-radar reflective.

reflectively, himmelberg

Old 08-27-2010, 06:33 AM
MP&C
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Here's a shot of gloss black fenders, firewall body color....

Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 AM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MP&C
Here's a shot of gloss black fenders, firewall body color....

Darn nice looking engine

Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How good are your eyes - little things (and big) tend to get lost in the dark

Old 08-27-2010, 03:30 PM
cwordsmith
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumber question

Can I ask a dumber question?

You have to put the anti squeak felt stuff in between the sheet metal first when you bolt up - then caulk the seam with the butyl stuff after - right

Chris

Old 08-27-2010, 05:17 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Wow, MP&C, that is some kind of beautiful engine bay. I am really taken with the idea of painting the firewall body color (non-radar reflective sage green) and the fenders a satiny black or whatever chassis black is.

My poor ol' 292 isn't nearly as chromey and pretty as this engine. But, the fact is that, in fact, it takes me to my original premise about my truck.

This is an old truck. Had I owned it in high school and wanted to paint it, an enamel brush job wouldn't have been out of the question. Taking that idea into the 21st century without a faux finish is my goal. Just a little something a kid might drive to River Dell Regional High School back in the early sixties.

naux faux, himmelberg

Old 08-27-2010, 06:57 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Originally Posted by CdnWillyG
Speaking of dumb questions...whats the purpose of the chalking between the panels? I thought most panels where just painted and then assembled.
I believe it would be to stop water and road dust that the wheels throw around, and to stop the moist mud from accumulating between the panels prematurely rusting out body panels, I guess.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Another vote, not that anyone is counting, for gloss black on the inner fenders and body color on the firewall.

Attached Images    
Old 08-28-2010, 09:09 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Dark colors hide oil and other fluid leaks well. Maybe this is what Dick was referring to.

Quick Reply: Engine bay-paint it black?