Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2014, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
I mounted it in the original location since that was the junction of the fuel lines. I don't see that as being a particularly vulnerable spot, I don't think the tires are going to kick much gravel up there. You could always make a guard out of a piece of sheet metal if you think it might be a problem.

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:54 AM
Senior User

Thipdar is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike View Post
does anyone know witch way the switch goes to let you know witch tank your using, any pics i could look at, or is there a face plate? i have two swtiches one on the dash, but ive been told that is just for the gauge, and then the other one buy the seat, and idk witch way it goes. any help would be good!
The one on the dash is a switch, the one on the floor is a valve.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Elder User

Alex from GA is starting off with a positive reputation.
For the past 40+ years I've owned my truck I have always changed the tanks while driving(with the door closed). I don't see the problem.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Postmaster

orich is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.orich is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hmm may be his arms are very short and can't reach it..???

Also a good reason to have power steeling..
orich
Old 04-16-2014, 03:47 AM
Senior User

Thipdar is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKES 68 F100 View Post
HERE'S A PIC
Click the image to open in full size.
Doesn't look like either of mine.

Mine have Off in the middle, and no "Right" or "Left"

Furthermore, the words are engraved into the plate, not put on with Dymo labels.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
There are several types of generic fuel selector valves on the market (and have been for years) Which, from what I've seen, use pretty much that same basic lever. I'd guess that the one in the pic is either a valve that was installed as a replacement for the original at one point, or perhaps the aux. tank was added to that particular truck aftermarket and they used a generic valve rather than the valve that would have been originally installed by Ford.

As for Alex's comment about never needing to open the door to switch tanks, I can see where that's possible. In my case, my truck had been sitting untouched for bout 10 year before I got it and the valve was incredibly stiff, and I only got it to loosen up a little. I also have installed a seat from a Dentside truck, I don't know if it's any wider that the original (never checked) thus limiting my access but I can just reach down in between the seat and the door to the valve but from straight above I just don't have the leverage to work that very stiff valve. It probably doesn't help that I have Dyslexia and could never remember which way I needed to turn the valve to get from one tank to the other and I'd be fighting it while trying to stay on the road, and of course it was usually while running empty on that tank so the truck had lost power. For me, the electric solenoid valve is the best solution.

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Postmaster

orich is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.orich is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Notice the cover plate is home made and he could have placed the labels where he wanted. And or using just one tank..

I added a gas valve way up under the seat more only as a emergency shut off.
And to keep anyone from driving off with it. Plus when the need comes when changing out fuel filter or fuel lines..
orich
Notice this would be the same if the plate was turned over.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:51 PM
Elder User

Alex from GA is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine has always been pretty stiff also but I've been able to do it. I like the idea of the electric valve for the ease of use. I have an electric fuel pump, on a switch, to push the fuel up when I run out of gas on one tank and the engine is going to quit.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Postmaster

JEFFFAFA has a good reputation on FTE.JEFFFAFA has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlinn1975 View Post
TigerDan, I was wondering where you mounted the new tank selector valve. Mine leaks so I need to replace it but I was just wondering if it would hold up to gravel roads if I mounted under the cab where the old one is. I like the idea of not having to open the door to switch tanks
Welcome to FTE!
Ford mounted solenoids like this on the frame. Mount it on the inside of the frame for maximum protection.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Postmaster

My brother bought a 70 c/s and stopped by to show it off.
Well sat with the engine running for about 5 minutes or so.
then the engine died. Holy crap it would not restart.

It showed 1/2 full on the gas ga. And yes it had the eclectic
switch over. Now this was in 1972 it was getting dark on a Sunday evening
so did not have time to check it out.

Monday a tow came and picked it up. My brother only had it less then 24 hrs.
So the car Dealer fixed it by replacing the gas electric switch over valve..
I though wow it was only 2yr old truck..

So, I never wanted to get stuck like that some where with one of those if they fail so ez.

I've had my valve in the same place for many yrs with no damage..
Plus no damage to my fuel pump..

Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1967, 1972, 68, auto, dash, f250, faceplate, ford, fuel, gas, selector, solenoid, switch, tank, valve