1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Reverse tilt hood alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse tilt hood alignment

I need advice on what to do next,
I have checked my cab( all new mounts) to frame for squareness-good. I checked rad support to cab firewall-parallel. But when I close the hood I have a 1/2"gap on the drivers side and it is tight on the passenger side. Hood is 1/4" at cowl on drivers side and a 1/2" on passenger side. To me it looks like the rad support needs to go 1/4" to passenger side but how? And will this fix my problem? Is it possible that the hood is tweaked that much?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
there are adjusters by the pivot you can loosen the bolts and slide the hood back/forward, if you are using your dowl pin you will need to adjust the plate left/right to move the hood that way.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:48 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Originally Posted by jaye
there are adjusters by the pivot you can loosen the bolts and slide the hood back/forward, if you are using your dowl pin you will need to adjust the plate left/right to move the hood that way.
That would help if I had only the one issue but with both issues I don't see that working? Am I missing something?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Update! looks like the hood was way out of square...so I have a different hood now that fits square to the firewall and even with the front edge of the fenders BUT now I have no clearance at the firewall/cowl, it's too tight? No adjustment left on the CPP tilt hood. Any ideas here???

Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you could elongate the hole on the bracket at the valence and move the bracket a little further away from the firewall.

or, loosen the fenders and rad support, and pull the front clip out just a little.. the rad support has front/back adjustment..

sam

Old 08-27-2010, 12:29 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Thanks Sam, I will elongate the front brackets first and see if that gives me the clearance I need. Seems to be the easiest fix. I have heard guy's having too much gap up to 5/8", in your opinion what is the best gaping here? I'm thinking 1/4" to match the fender-hood gaps.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

1/4 is about the gap I have

Sam

Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Thinking about the fix for my hood gap over night I realized that I will have to move the fenders forward. With the fenders and hood even at the front just, elongating the hood bracket would move the hood but then the fenders would not line up.
Oh well what else was I going to do today!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Last Chance 56
Elder User
I had to loosen the complete doghouse and move it backwards for my hood to fit. My input is really for those who had fiberglass cabs, so good luck.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:16 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Okay things going a little better with different hood.

One issue I still have is that the drivers front hood corner needs to come up about 3/4", how is this done?

Old 08-29-2010, 05:34 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

you adjust the rear of the ramp upwards..

| doah!.. I SWEAR the word 'front' wasn't there when I read it!
| never mind

Sam

Old 08-29-2010, 06:59 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Sam, not sure of what you mean? The ramp by the cowl? If that is what you mean that will raise the back of the hood, I need the front corner. On other vehicles it would be just a rubber bumper raised up...but not here?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:48 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Do your fenders have the rubber bumpers installed?.. maybe they are worn out and need replaced?
There is a thread titled ..'this hood is killing me'..have you seen it?? I tried looking for it using the search function..but came up empty..good info, you may want to do a search and review it.

When things quit making sense,..and you think your chasing your tail.. sometimes it's easier to start from scratch..and get some "knowns",; start with the basics..frame level front to rear and left to right (4 jackstands), then put a level on the floor at the sill,double check that with a level on the rear door jamb..then check that the cab is level on the frame..that's pretty basic..but if "one" of these steps is left out, it can send everything else out.Be sure the latchplate strip is level AND square to the cowl.A bent latchplate strip had me going in circles for along time too..

Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

maybe there is a fender problem.

when I did mine the fender edge was below the hood.. and we finally determined that the fender was pinched down there.. and we decided to get another fender rather than try to tweak that one.

mine was great without the rubber bumpers..

Sam

Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 AM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On the "No Limit" kit, the front is mounted by means of two threaded heim joints. You can adjust the hood up or down to align it with the fenders by turning the nuts up or down on the threaded shafts. I hoped I explained that right. Anyway it was one of the things that helped me choose the front tilt hood kit.

Quick Reply: Reverse tilt hood alignment