Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Junior User

rootbeer is starting off with a positive reputation.
2008 Ranger,when to change Transmisson fluid\filter?

...............Ok , drove by trany shop and had them pull dipstick on trany , tech said fluid looks ...Like it had very few miles even though it has 27,xxx miles on the clock ! He also said they are recommending that the newer Rangers with Mercon 5 Wait too flush and replace filter till 50,000 miles ! Specifically , this applies too trucks NOT pulling trailers , and used mainly for highway commuting , which my truck is . Now , money is very tight so My plan is , after I review the comments on this thread I plan on buying 4 qts. of Mercon 5 each month and changing the fluid next spring which means I'll probably have around 35,000 miles on the truck . And , I plan on using the paw paw method too save some $$ . , thanks , rb
Old 08-26-2010, 06:53 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like a timely & frugal use plan of funds to me!!!

Let us know how the filter change/ full fluid pumpout goes next Spring.

Be sure to opt for a really good tranny filter, like the specified Motorcraft/Filtran one.

Way to plan ahead & look out for your Rangers maintenance, when times are tough & funds are tight.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 08-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Posting Guru

Danger_Dave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
if you look at it this way, a newer vehicle these days you will be lucky to get 200k miles out of. so if you only have to do this 4 times, which is way more often than most people would, they only would change it if theres a problem. so if this prolongs the life of your vehicle and you actually get that 200k, or maybe 300k, then its money well spent. if you want to do the whole shibang every 50k, but a simple fluid exchange every 25k also then that would be even better. definitely keep documents and records of maintenance.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:37 PM