Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99 7.3 psd will not start without a shot of starter fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rad1026
I'm sure I read here at some time that it was not a good idea to use starter fluid in a diesel.
ok i have a 99 7.3l turbo diesel and i have recently been having alot of trouble getting it started. i know that starter fluid is bad for diesel so before everyone tells me..i already know..

he knows LOL....

Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glow plugs may be good or bad, but with 80* air temps, that shouldn't be an issue right now. You're either losing oil pressure or fuel pressure. Pull the codes and see what hints they give.

Starting fluid is specifically for diesels, it's just a bad idea in our PSD's because of the glow plugs acting as an ignition source.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:49 PM
eggturner
Junior User
find out how much fuel pressure you have at the fuel bowl. You will need to at least put a temporary mechanical gauge at the fuel bowl to check the pressure. Mine did the same thing and found that all the fuel was returning to tank and not making any pressure at the fuel bowl. When I blocked the return line with a little piece of balled up rag it went from 0psi to 30psi and started immediatly.

My 2 cents worth.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 PM
jwiseman
New User
Originally Posted by rad1026
I'm sure I read here at some time that it was not a good idea to use starter fluid in a diesel.
hmm..really?? i had no idea!! wow seriously!? im pretty sure i said that in the very first message i posted!!...

...ill get the codes pulled tomorrow at the HP diesel shop down the street and see where it goes from there...ill keep you posted and ask more questions if need be..thanks for the help guys!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:43 PM
jwiseman
New User
Originally Posted by eggturner
find out how much fuel pressure you have at the fuel bowl. You will need to at least put a temporary mechanical gauge at the fuel bowl to check the pressure. Mine did the same thing and found that all the fuel was returning to tank and not making any pressure at the fuel bowl. When I blocked the return line with a little piece of balled up rag it went from 0psi to 30psi and started immediatly.

My 2 cents worth.
so chances are...if i replace the water drainoff valve thats leaking, my fuel pressure will probally increase and may start?? because its leaking pretty bad...i just cant seem to find a damn parts store that sells anything for my truck!! can you point me in the direction of a good...CHEAP..or at least reasonably priced parts store? please and thanks

Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Look through some of the guy's signatures and look for guzzle's website. He's the PSD o-ring guru.

That sounds like your problem.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:10 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 08-27-2010, 11:58 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jwiseman
so chances are...if i replace the water drainoff valve thats leaking, my fuel pressure will probally increase and may start?? because its leaking pretty bad...
Well, you definitely want to get new o-rings in there, HOWEVER, you better have a leak running down your driveway to substantiate that much of a pressure and volume loss. It'll run on 30 psi (not good for the injectors though) but the fuel pump IIRC is pushing about 360gph, which would equate to a 6 gal a minute flow coming from your fuel filter. I might be wrong on the numbers, but either way it'll be a REAL bad leak to ake the truck not run. I second a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
eggturner
Junior User
My original post "find out how much fuel pressure you have at the fuel bowl. You will need to at least put a temporary mechanical gauge at the fuel bowl to check the pressure. Mine did the same thing and found that all the fuel was returning to tank and not making any pressure at the fuel bowl. When I blocked the return line with a little piece of balled up rag it went from 0psi to 30psi and started immediatly."

so chances are...if i replace the water drainoff valve thats leaking, my fuel pressure will probally increase and may start?? because its leaking pretty bad...i just cant seem to find a damn parts store that sells anything for my truck!! can you point me in the direction of a good...CHEAP..or at least reasonably priced parts store? please and thanks

Originall posted by mongo75 "Well, you definitely want to get new o-rings in there, HOWEVER, you better have a leak running down your driveway to substantiate that much of a pressure and volume loss. It'll run on 30 psi (not good for the injectors though) but the fuel pump IIRC is pushing about 360gph, which would equate to a 6 gal a minute flow coming from your fuel filter. I might be wrong on the numbers, but either way it'll be a REAL bad leak to ake the truck not run. I second a faulty fuel pressure regulator."

I was talking about the fuel returning to the tank because of a faulty fpr which is at the top right of the fuel bowl if your're standing in front looking at the engine. the drain valve at the fuel bowl would have to be leaking profusely to not get any pressure if the fpr is good.(you should fix that leak though) regardless of what's going on it would still be a good idea to check fuel pressure at the bowl to at least eliminate problems. May also be a faulty fuel pump or clogged screens in the tank which a pressure check would show. let us know what you find

Old 05-20-2012, 01:17 PM
rooster28
New User
dude , one squirt of zippo lighter fluid down the throat, and you can get in iand it will fire up without blowing the precombustion chambers. i already replace my high pressure oil pump and put new O-rings on my injectors, still screwed brother, if you come up with any thing good let me know marktwach@gmail.com

Old 05-20-2012, 01:26 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel pressure is not your issue. Truck will start and run fine with 0 fuel pressure.

If I had to guess without any information...

You have a HPO issue, be it injector O rings, injectors or the HPOP/IPR...

Its not fuel related.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:14 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rooster28
dude , one squirt of zippo lighter fluid down the throat, and you can get in iand it will fire up without blowing the precombustion chambers. i already replace my high pressure oil pump and put new O-rings on my injectors, still screwed brother, if you come up with any thing good let me know marktwach@gmail.com
PRECOMBUSTION CHAMBERS?? WHAT!?!? Have you ever pulled a head off a 7.3? LOL- these are modern trucks, they don't have lenova cells anymore. It's just like a gas engine in there, except for the piston bowl and glow plug. What gets blown by using ether etc is your connecting rod, they can bend under an early load.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
johndeeregreen2013
Freshman User
ya...?

im pretty certain the precombustion chamber were only existent in the 6.9 and 7.3 idi because of the indirect injection..natrally asspurated...am i right or wrong??

Old 10-12-2012, 02:51 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You dug up a 5 month old thread to add that?

ugh...

Old 10-12-2012, 02:54 PM
johndeeregreen2013
Freshman User
wooops sry

lol sry im not guna lie i never looked at the date just read the comment...was just searching around to enlighten myself on stuff i may not have seen before and got caught up with his comment

Quick Reply: 99 7.3 psd will not start without a shot of starter fluid