Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1026 View Post
I'm sure I read here at some time that it was not a good idea to use starter fluid in a diesel.
ok i have a 99 7.3l turbo diesel and i have recently been having alot of trouble getting it started. i know that starter fluid is bad for diesel so before everyone tells me..i already know..

he knows LOL....
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 08-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Posting Guru

farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.
Glow plugs may be good or bad, but with 80* air temps, that shouldn't be an issue right now. You're either losing oil pressure or fuel pressure. Pull the codes and see what hints they give.

Starting fluid is specifically for diesels, it's just a bad idea in our PSD's because of the glow plugs acting as an ignition source.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Junior User

eggturner is starting off with a positive reputation.
find out how much fuel pressure you have at the fuel bowl. You will need to at least put a temporary mechanical gauge at the fuel bowl to check the pressure. Mine did the same thing and found that all the fuel was returning to tank and not making any pressure at the fuel bowl. When I blocked the return line with a little piece of balled up rag it went from 0psi to 30psi and started immediatly.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:35 AM
New User

jwiseman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1026 View Post
I'm sure I read here at some time that it was not a good idea to use starter fluid in a diesel.
hmm..really?? i had no idea!! wow seriously!? im pretty sure i said that in the very first message i posted!!...

...ill get the codes pulled tomorrow at the HP diesel shop down the street and see where it goes from there...ill keep you posted and ask more questions if need be..thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:43 AM
New User

jwiseman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggturner View Post
find out how much fuel pressure you have at the fuel bowl. You will need to at least put a temporary mechanical gauge at the fuel bowl to check the pressure. Mine did the same thing and found that all the fuel was returning to tank and not making any pressure at the fuel bowl. When I blocked the return line with a little piece of balled up rag it went from 0psi to 30psi and started immediatly.

My 2 cents worth.
so chances are...if i replace the water drainoff valve thats leaking, my fuel pressure will probally increase and may start?? because its leaking pretty bad...i just cant seem to find a damn parts store that sells anything for my truck!! can you point me in the direction of a good...CHEAP..or at least reasonably priced parts store? please and thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Posting Guru

farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.
Look through some of the guy's signatures and look for guzzle's website. He's the PSD o-ring guru.

That sounds like your problem.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Posting Guru

HD Rider has a very good reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a very good reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a very good reputation on FTE.
Here you go.
Separator Valve Rebuild
O-ring*Guide*&*Reference*Page
Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines
AIS, Zoodad, CCV, OCR, IH Bellowed Uppipes, GTP38R, 6.0L IC, Diesel Site Boots, 5" exh, AIH, Foil, and EBPV delet, Hutch/Harpoon, Coolant Filter, 203* T-stat, 08 Diff Cover, Bypass Filter, Tranny Cooler, Isspro EV2's, T-500 HPOP, WVO system, Tony Wildman Tunes
Old 08-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiseman View Post
so chances are...if i replace the water drainoff valve thats leaking, my fuel pressure will probally increase and may start?? because its leaking pretty bad...
Well, you definitely want to get new o-rings in there, HOWEVER, you better have a leak running down your driveway to substantiate that much of a pressure and volume loss. It'll run on 30 psi (not good for the injectors though) but the fuel pump IIRC is pushing about 360gph, which would equate to a 6 gal a minute flow coming from your fuel filter. I might be wrong on the numbers, but either way it'll be a REAL bad leak to ake the truck not run. I second a faulty fuel pressure regulator.
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 08-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Junior User

eggturner is starting off with a positive reputation.
My original post "find out how much fuel pressure you have at the fuel bowl. You will need to at least put a temporary mechanical gauge at the fuel bowl to check the pressure. Mine did the same thing and found that all the fuel was returning to tank and not making any pressure at the fuel bowl. When I blocked the return line with a little piece of balled up rag it went from 0psi to 30psi and started immediatly."

so chances are...if i replace the water drainoff valve thats leaking, my fuel pressure will probally increase and may start?? because its leaking pretty bad...i just cant seem to find a damn parts store that sells anything for my truck!! can you point me in the direction of a good...CHEAP..or at least reasonably priced parts store? please and thanks

Originall posted by mongo75 "Well, you definitely want to get new o-rings in there, HOWEVER, you better have a leak running down your driveway to substantiate that much of a pressure and volume loss. It'll run on 30 psi (not good for the injectors though) but the fuel pump IIRC is pushing about 360gph, which would equate to a 6 gal a minute flow coming from your fuel filter. I might be wrong on the numbers, but either way it'll be a REAL bad leak to ake the truck not run. I second a faulty fuel pressure regulator."

I was talking about the fuel returning to the tank because of a faulty fpr which is at the top right of the fuel bowl if your're standing in front looking at the engine. the drain valve at the fuel bowl would have to be leaking profusely to not get any pressure if the fpr is good.(you should fix that leak though) regardless of what's going on it would still be a good idea to check fuel pressure at the bowl to at least eliminate problems. May also be a faulty fuel pump or clogged screens in the tank which a pressure check would show. let us know what you find
Old 05-20-2012, 02:17 PM
New User

rooster28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
dude , one squirt of zippo lighter fluid down the throat, and you can get in iand it will fire up without blowing the precombustion chambers. i already replace my high pressure oil pump and put new O-rings on my injectors, still screwed brother, if you come up with any thing good let me know marktwach@gmail.com
Old 05-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Postmaster

CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold
Fuel pressure is not your issue. Truck will start and run fine with 0 fuel pressure.

If I had to guess without any information...

You have a HPO issue, be it injector O rings, injectors or the HPOP/IPR...

Its not fuel related.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Postmaster

danny jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster28 View Post
dude , one squirt of zippo lighter fluid down the throat, and you can get in iand it will fire up without blowing the precombustion chambers. i already replace my high pressure oil pump and put new O-rings on my injectors, still screwed brother, if you come up with any thing good let me know marktwach@gmail.com
PRECOMBUSTION CHAMBERS?? WHAT!?!? Have you ever pulled a head off a 7.3? LOL- these are modern trucks, they don't have lenova cells anymore. It's just like a gas engine in there, except for the piston bowl and glow plug. What gets blown by using ether etc is your connecting rod, they can bend under an early load.
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Freshman User

johndeeregreen2013 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Patrick nemec
ya...?

im pretty certain the precombustion chamber were only existent in the 6.9 and 7.3 idi because of the indirect injection..natrally asspurated...am i right or wrong??
Old 10-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Postmaster

CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold
You dug up a 5 month old thread to add that?

ugh...
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Freshman User

johndeeregreen2013 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Patrick nemec
wooops sry

lol sry im not guna lie i never looked at the date just read the comment...was just searching around to enlighten myself on stuff i may not have seen before and got caught up with his comment
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM