6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2011 Super Duty tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 PM
kevcol
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had nothing but problems with my 2011 Ford 6.2 F350 transmission as well. I would get a "jerking " motion if I shifted truck from gear (2nd gear) to neutral. Also had 2-3 shifting issue first thing in the morning. Anyway approaching end of warrenty period I still had a tiny transmission leak, so took to dealer. Said I needed a torque convertor. 4 weeks later (mid-april) went down to get torque converter replaced. Tech took apart tranny and said metal shavings everywhere......need new tranny. New transmission was installed (apr 23). Today I started having shifting issues again. Big "jerks"..... when I would hit 60km/h then let off gas there would be a small "jerk" as the tranny ****ed up. If I hit 60km/h then let off gas for a second, then gently touch the gas pedal again, I would get a big "jerk".
I dont know what to do anymore. I did go to local GM dealer on Sat and drove the duramax with the Allison. I stopped short of buying. I am still in process of getting truck appraised (2nd opinion) for trade in. Then I will decide what to do.........what else can I do???.....I have a good contract and I have to get the job done!

Old 10-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Read the first 10 pages plus a few posts as I skipped 5 pages at a time until the end.

Bought the 2011 used 2 months ago. Had the problem 3 times always accelerating from a cold engine. For me it feels like a slip; revs go up but no motion and when it finally grabs it's under compression so it feels like brakes are applied for a second. Everything is fine after that; don't need to put it in neutral or stop the engine. I just keep driving and don't have problems after that.

I will ask the dealer to check it out at my next service. Don't know if I have the old flash version or old solenoids.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:54 PM
blueline38
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Buckholz
my 2011 tranny has been perfect since the reflash and 3 solenoids a while back for the shift flare problem common in the first year of build.

I was a manual tranny fan for the previous 5 trucks, Chevy's and Fords. Super happy with my 6 speed, love the manual shift mode. Sorry yawl are having difficulties.

It is not possible that the one truck will not shift out of 2nd until 95 mph....... sounds like a fish story. Mine will run 6,000 rpm redline at maybe 62-65mph. Even if the truck was stuck in 2nd gear, the engine ECM would stop if from fueling/igniting likely a few hundred rpm above redline.
Well, I had a 2011 F250 6.2L and had both the flash and solenoids replaced. Shift problems continued but I was told that it was operating normally. This May, while towing my camper, I was entering the highway and was doing 75mph in second gear. I can't say if the truck would have gone to 95mph because I tried to level off at 75mph and had let off the gas. I assure you, though, that I could have stomped on the gas since I HAD let up. Eventually the truck shifted but I spent most of the trip in 4th gear. Then while pulling away from toll booths I let off the gas, in traffic, and the RPM's spiked and stayed there for some time. I drove the truck and camper home after the trip and bought my 2012 F350 6.7L with which I have had no problems!

So, in short, be careful what you call fish stories and making an assumption based on your sole experience!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:16 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

I'm not totally happy with my tranny. It is having some of the same issues in this thread.

Just feels sluggish...and likes to be in the highest gear possible ALL the time. Running in traffic and slowing to 35 from 60 or 65...it never downshifts. Not until 34 and drops to 5th gear. Strange! IMHO!

If the tranny could be in the correct power band...then the 6.2L would be an awesome engine. As it is...IMHO...it struggles to handle the weight of the truck.

Does anyone actually know the date and version of the latest and greatest tranny flash?? Just curious...

biz

Old 10-18-2013, 12:28 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Biz,

Sounds like you could benefit from a tuner once your leveling kit research is done.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:30 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Originally Posted by biz4two
...and likes to be in the highest gear possible ALL the time. Running in traffic and slowing to 35 from 60 or 65...it never downshifts. Not until 34 and drops to 5th gear.
Mine does the same but I see it as a fuel saving measure. If for some reason I want it to stay in lower gear while I town I can use the tow/haul button or I guess you could lock out all gears above what you want.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:10 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My new 2013 had the 2nd gear hang up pulling my 5th wheel home on Monday. My wife looks at me like WTF?
Not a fan of this tranny.
I wish I could have my '06' tranny with this 6.2!
I have to wonder about the Mercon lv.
My gut feeling is the Mercon sp was superior, but the lv is cheaper to produce.
I have absolutely no evidence or studies or anything other than a gut feeling,
the same feeling I had learning about the Ford GOLD coolant.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:09 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Biz,

Sounds like you could benefit from a tuner once your leveling kit research is done.

Probably so...but unfortunately I will not add an aftermarket tuner. Just no way...No how.

If a warranty issue comes up...and get told by FORD to push off because of the tuner. Naaaa...not my idea of fun.

Have to leave the motor and tranny all OEM stock until warranty is gone. But...might have a new truck by then. One never knows. LOL!

==

So...I wanted to qualify what I said about my tranny. The issues...are when I drive it easy and responsible. Going for MPG and all. However, when I drive it with some spirit...and get the RPM's up...the tranny is SPOT on!! Seriously...I runs GREAT.

I'm just not a fan...with the lazy and I mean lazy downshift patterns. It makes the engine lag some...and I don't think FORD has it right with this engine and tranny combo. At least not with the current OEM program.

biz

Old 09-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Anthony Glenn
New User
Same problem

Originally Posted by Beach_Bob
My concern with the tranny/6.2 combo is with downshifts on hills. I usually have a 8 1/2 x 16 cargo trailer hooked up and I'm finding that the transmission just slams down into 2nd from 5th or 6th when we hit a hill at highway speed. It'll rev the engine right up to the 6000 rpm redline. All of this is with cruise control engaged...

I'm hoping to get to the end of my work season before I run it back to a dealer. Is anyone else finding this sort of behavior or is it just me?
My 2011 has the same problem when I tow my 27 foot camper. I have 15000 miles on it.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:59 PM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
Don't use TH use D or manual, the TH is just to aggressive.

Denny

Old 09-16-2015, 11:38 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

I'd be curious if a new program from FORD on the trans is available?? I'm sure the 2014, 2015, and 2016 do not continue this aggressive behavior??

Right??

biz

Old 09-16-2015, 04:50 PM
2015 DUTY
New User
2015 trans

2015 SD here, my 2015 will shift from 5th to 2nd also while in tow haul when pulling my 38 foot 5th wheel up inclines, without need. I agree with RV Puller, now I use M and stay in what gear I feel the truck needs while pulling hills, usually 1 gear lower. With the adaptive learning on my trans, it will not shift into 6th at any speed under 45 mph in town, I have always locked out 6th gear since the truck was new for slow driving. 6000 miles on it currently.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Principle
New User
Still going...

Originally Posted by Principle
So I have had my new truck for exactly two weeks I've put about 750miles on the truck some of which has been in heavy heavy snow. That being said I've noticed some jerking and things and poor shifts but thought it was due to the lack of traction.

Since it has cleared up and the weather gotten warm (50 - 70) I've come to realize it is a transmission problem. I've had some poor shifts as well as missing shifts. Going from Park or Reverse to Drive does it the worst, truck will rev (no motion), then grind, then jerk into drive. Yeah for a car/truck person it is VERY embarrassing esp with the temp tag on it. I NEVER park without the parking brake and always shift at a dead stop with the pedal mashed all the way down just habits I've always had. I haven't figured out anything that can cause this to occur on demand but it's happened at all inclines and declines as well as on flat surfaces and of course it's when I'm parking. The grinding is VERY audible and disturbing it sounds like your hitting the reverse gear in a manual transmission while your driving forward without using the clutch! The fact that it happens at a dead stop makes no sense to me.

I don't have as much trouble with the bad shifts lately more so the miss shifts but have gone from getting about 15mpg (in snow with 4wd on at times) to getting 12.5mpg (in clear weather) so I have a feeling this may be to blame. It is driving me nuts with such low miles I picked it up with only 35miles on it no trouble, then it got snowy so I figured that was to blame now its more and more frequent. Since about 500 miles it has happened about 4 times. I have a long trip scheduled for later this week and have no doubt the truck will do fine but it does annoy me to say the least. I will be having them look into it as soon as i return next Monday.

So here I am nearly 5 years later and at 85k miles truck still shifts like trash but after nearly giving up I posted on another forum and a Ford service rep is going to look into what happened. Maybe it'll get fixed. I'll update what happens as this was the first thread for the issues and people are clearly still having problems.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:11 AM
Unclemark
Senior User
Nevermind lol

Old 09-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Curtis Bird
New User
2011 trans problems

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Read the first 10 pages plus a few posts as I skipped 5 pages at a time until the end.

Bought the 2011 used 2 months ago. Had the problem 3 times always accelerating from a cold engine. For me it feels like a slip; revs go up but no motion and when it finally grabs it's under compression so it feels like brakes are applied for a second. Everything is fine after that; don't need to put it in neutral or stop the engine. I just keep driving and don't have problems after that.

I will ask the dealer to check it out at my next service. Don't know if I have the old flash version or old solenoids.
My 2011 F-250 6.2 trans on cold mornings won't shift from 3-4 in drive... if I manually shift when Im getting on the Excelerator it shifts fine. After it warms up no problem until the next morning and only if it's cold or below 60 outside. Any ideas?