6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2011 Super Duty tranny problems

Old 10-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bwestcott
My concern with the tranny/6.2 combo is with downshifts on hills. I usually have a 8 1/2 x 16 cargo trailer hooked up and I'm finding that the transmission just slams down into 2nd from 5th or 6th when we hit a hill at highway speed. It'll rev the engine right up to the 6000 rpm redline. All of this is with cruise control engaged...

I'm hoping to get to the end of my work season before I run it back to a dealer. Is anyone else finding this sort of behavior or is it just me?
No, I havent had that problem occur when towing my 8.5 X 20 foot enclosed trailer. I dont use cruise control on hills either. Remember that when cruise control is set the PCM is going to do what it needs to so your vehicle(s) can stay at the desired speed. Where you would understand that you'll probably loose some speed going up big hills the PCM just wants to maintain that speed and will do with it thinks it needs to do to accomplish that. So, I never use cruise control when towing in hilly areas. Dont use the cruise and see what happens.........

By the way, I had an experience like that with my 6.4. I had the cruise set while towing the same trailer and hit a good hill. The tranny dropped 2 gears and took the RPM's very high. The shift was hard also. So, what you're experiencing is not exclusive to the 6.2 and the new 6speed tranny.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Donna M
New User
2011 issues

Originally Posted by Front Runner
I saw this thread on another forum.

6.7L Problem (Tranny???) - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

6.7 Diesel owners are having problems with the new 6 speed tranny. Are any of you 6.2 owners having the same problem?
We just purchased a 2011 F350 4x4 Dually. It has 1400 miles on it now. I am the primary driver and have already called the dealer over this issue. When the truck is cold, (I work 12 hr shifts so the truck sits all day) after acceleration when it shifts gears, it almost feels like it goes into a neutral position. I get a high engine rev (because my foot is on the gas) and after a few seconds it will shift. This has happened about 5 times now. However, when I leave my house in the mornings I live on a dirt rd so I drive slowly out to the main street and it does not do it then... I have been hesitant to take it back to the dealer because it is intermittent and dont want to loose my truck for a few days but now after reading this forumn I am going to take it back tomorrow

Old 10-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Mike in PA
Senior User
Hope it works out for you Donna M. Is yours
a gas or a diesel?

Mike in PA

Old 10-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
No issues with my 6.2 yet, (knocks on something). Well, maybe a little jerky going around corners, still not an issue for me though. Since everything is computer controlled on these trucks, I bet a tuner will smooth things out a bit.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:29 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Rolled over 5000 miles today. No issues to report... Well maybe one i cant keep my foot out of the pedal on straight aways... I have been running a 93 perf tune and next weekend we are hooking up the 5ver for a Halloween outing at a camp ground..

Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by fordmdb
Rolled over 5000 miles today. No issues to report... Well maybe one i cant keep my foot out of the pedal on straight aways... I have been running a 93 perf tune
That tune (93) must be really heavy - because it make my pedal go down all the time...

I am doing some testing against stock & real (calculated) mileage - but my in-town use gets slammed because getting on freeways is too much fun..

Straight highway it looks like the 93 is pulling a little better mileage than the stock - got a equal test coming this weekend - so will know a little better then..

Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Donna M
We just purchased a 2011 F350 4x4 Dually. It has 1400 miles on it now. I am the primary driver and have already called the dealer over this issue. When the truck is cold, (I work 12 hr shifts so the truck sits all day) after acceleration when it shifts gears, it almost feels like it goes into a neutral position. I get a high engine rev (because my foot is on the gas) and after a few seconds it will shift. This has happened about 5 times now. However, when I leave my house in the mornings I live on a dirt rd so I drive slowly out to the main street and it does not do it then... I have been hesitant to take it back to the dealer because it is intermittent and dont want to loose my truck for a few days but now after reading this forumn I am going to take it back tomorrow
Ok - Had this happen to me last night... I had noticed it once before & punched up the gears on startup - Pulled out of parking lot 1/2 throttle - stayed in 1st & then it like was gonna shift to 2nd but felt like it was in neutral -- Cannot duplicate easily.. I am running stock (no custom tunes).. But like Donna the truck was somewhat cold.. been parked maybe 2-2 1/2 hrs. Also when I back out of drive in the AM I have several residential street before hitting a bigger road - so it doesn't do it. Same as Donna..

Donna - Any news from Dealer?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Did Ford come out with a new calibration for the trans on the 6.2 like they did on the 6.7?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

From what Mike (5 star tuning) has said they do have a new program. At least since mine. But unlike the diesels no media blitz.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 PM
scububbs
Senior User
Originally Posted by Byram
From what Mike (5 star tuning) has said they do have a new program. At least since mine. But unlike the diesels no media blitz.
Do you know the date of the new program? I bought my 2011 F250 in October but it was built in May, just curious if I have the current Factory program. I really want to put a tuner on this truck, but not until I know what my dealer's attitude is about tuners.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
That's a good question. Wonder the same thing.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 AM
saburke17
New User
Hey Guys thought i would add my 2 cents worth. I have a 2011 F350 cc 4x4 KR with the 3.73 and the 6.2. Absolutley love the truck but the tranny is driving me nuts. It gets very confused.... if im driving up to a light that turns yellow and i step on it, it literally takes 2 seconds "timed" to drop into the right gear. Its almost like it downshifts then downshifts again before power is applied to the wheels. Also it upshifts to quick in my opinion on long hills. Another strange thing that happend was yesterday i was crusing down a steep set of hills and had the tow haul mode to maintain the hills and when i started going too fast i wanted to slow down, i braked and it downshifted and ran the rpms up into the four's and would not move, i even tried acelerating to upshift it but it just stayed there unitl i braked enough to slow down. I was only doing roughly 20 or so MPH.
gas mileage by the screen is roughly 12.9 or so.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:40 PM
devongarver
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
My was acting weird last night. I was going down a steep hill, had tow haul mode engaged. I was doing 35mph, lightly braking, it kicked down to 3rd and held. At the bottom of the hill I eased into the throttle and it didn't shift up.Took it all the way to 4.5-5k rpms and it still didnt shift. I let off and coasted a bit, still no shift. I removed it from tow haul mode, it instantly shifted up to 6th. Wtf?

As for the down shifting slowly, this is common of every auto I have ever owned, until I have had it tuned. That helps some.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:56 PM
250_Convert
New User
I think that might be the hill desent feature? I think it engages in tow haul after one tap of the break pedal...??

Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 PM
countrycars70
New User
New six speed problems

My 2011 Super Duty has 4 K miles it has the 6.2 and a 4.30 gear....in the last week it has been shifting a little erratic,now today it started making a noise like a pump whine....I stopped for some gas and it wouldn't back up...I am a used car dealer and I have a 22' goose neck open car trailer....Today I had a Hyundai on the trailer total weight around 6K..I am so dissapointed with this truck,It gets lousey fuel economy and now this...I wish I could get back my 2010 V10 6 speed manual ! Fords latest and greatest has NOT shown me a lot so far...However anything can break,but I am hearing more and more bad things about this transmission....I take it in tomorrow to see what is wrong with it.....it seems it has a solonoid problem as when you put it in reverese it seems like it wants to go foward and backward at the same time....put it in netrual after going foward and it jerks and wants to pull ahead. will post more later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Super Duty tranny problems