6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tail gate with built in step

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
CA-F250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail gate with built in step

I am not liking the built in hand pole on the tail gate. The plastic liner attached to the tail gate along with the ridges seem it get in the way when I am sliding things in the back bed. I think I would have preferred the standard tail gate with a back up camera. What are your thoughts and is it worth perhaps exchanging it for a non step one.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sure like mine. The truck is too high for me to just jump up in. I have the B&W Companion hitch in mine so I would not see the problem you are dealing with. If I did not have a truck with a step and the color was the same I would trade, maybe someone else would as well.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Champ198
Elder User
I have the step tailagate in my 2008.

I never use the fold up hand rail, but I use the shiznit out of my tailgate step. It truly is worth every penny and for the slight inconvenience of a box hanging on the plastic tailgate liner. The Chevy/GMC guys can make fun of it all they want but I absolutely love it. (and they don't have it!) I have dragged things over the metal hand rail pole and it doesn't hurt a thing. A small price to pay for such a helpful item.

I too have to move my hitch in/out of the bed sometimes. I also have a chest type tool box in my truck bed. I find myself getting up in the bed of the truck alot more because the step makes it so easy. The step is best option on these trucks.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,562 Likes on 730 Posts
These trucks just keep getting taller and taller. And I don't jump as high as I used to. I don't care about the handle. But I will use the step. Being in construction, I have stuff in the bed all the time, I'm always getting in and out to reach stuff.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I love my Man Step AND my handle. My knees aren't what they used to be and it makes it a ton easier to get in and out of the bed. I use the handle as I step forward out of the bed and am afraid what would happen if I missed the step going down. Check out Chevrolet's mock video. Hilarious. Does anyone get out of the bed backwards?

YouTube - Chevy Silverado | "Man Step"

Old 08-23-2010, 03:04 PM
BTyner41
Senior User
I'd rather have my 'man step' any day!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
Funny thing is cheby just showed us how easy it is to use it. What it's take a whole five seconds for the guys to put the handle down and the step up? Cheby's are lower so you don't need a man step but when you have man clearance you do.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:53 PM
skylinekw
Senior User
When I ordered mine I asked not to have the step, the dealer said i did not have a choice. But since I got the truck I use it alot. I don't use the handle though, I do see what you mean about stuff getting hung up on it.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 PM
kluger
Senior User
Haven't had it long, but I too am reaching the point where I could use "a leg up" and so far really appreciate the step for the few times I've used it, I haven't bothered yet with the post.

If it weren't for the step we'd need to carry a step-ladder for my 5' 3" wife to make it up, she'll probably use the post too.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

My 08 has the step; it is one of those things I would not have ordered at the time; but now I would not want a new truck without it.

Use it all the time; sometimes with the handle and sometimes w/o. I used the step with some heavy items I could not quite lift by myself but could slide against the step up onto the gate.

I have on some occassions opened the handle and closed the gate with it extended to aid in load control in the back of the bed.

Bob

Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, the post when extended and you close the gate does hold things in place. I use it when I do my gas can run, 4 5gal. gas jugs are held nicely by it.

The step? yep, I use it a lot. My Honda generator is the 3000W one and it weighs 200 lbs. I lift, set on the step, couple of f-bombs and it goes in the truck. I also use it when I wash the truck more often than not. It does cause a few things to hang up when loading stuff but on the other hand, the plastic is really slick and stuff slides over it pretty easy. I just beat the tar out of it with 5th wheel hitch, generator, and anything else that hits it.

Chev and Dodge folks can laugh all they want. These trucks are still trucks, heavier than they need to be, taller than they need to be, more power than we need, and more comforts than we need.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM
zcellis3
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I love my Man Step AND my handle. My knees aren't what they used to be and it makes it a ton easier to get in and out of the bed. I use the handle as I step forward out of the bed and am afraid what would happen if I missed the step going down. Check out Chevrolet's mock video. Hilarious. Does anyone get out of the bed backwards?

You don't need a "Man Step" in a woman's truck, that's why they dont offer them in the GM or Dodge!

I am a young and fairly tall guy (6'4") and I need that step to get in the bed of this thing unless I climb up on the rear wheel and throw the leg over the bedside. I almost ordered my truck with out the step but like the others, I am sure glad I got it!!

Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I originally made a deal on an XLT model without the step. I decided I wanted the step so I bought the Lariat I have instead. I, too, love the step and would not want a truck without it now.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:13 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That step is a blessing for old dudes like me with Arthritis. The Wife uses it more than I do. In fact she insisted on the step when we bought the new 11 F-250 since we had it in the 08 that we traded in.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:18 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick

I think GM stopped running that ad when they realized that it was helping Ford sell MORE trucks.

Quick Reply: Tail gate with built in step