Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Melling LPOP Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did the Melling come with a new housing or is that cost separate?

If it's considered a "mild" upgrade, then I'm probably fine with keeping my new stock one I just bought.

From what I can find, the crank is supposed to be torqued to 216 ft lbs.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
The melling comes with a new housing.

Here is the torque in the Ford Service Manual.

Name:  Crank Tq.gif
Views: 15616
Size:  10.0 KB

Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 AM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Clay for the info. I knew the torque spec was close to what I posted.

Is the Melling unit complete and ready to bolt on, or do you have to put a seal in it (front main seal)?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:44 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Ryan, its all ready to go right out of the box. No need to pick up any other parts.

Also, if you decide to use the OEM pump, remember it only goes in one way or you will destroy the front cover.

Name:  P1010134.jpg
Views: 13330
Size:  68.6 KB

Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did mine today. A few things I would like to add
1) A longer bolt is not needed if you have a 1/2" flat washer lying around.
2) Per Ford Manual: Apply RTV Silicone Sealant F5TZ-19G204-AB or equivalent meeting Ford specification NAVSTR D15-5012 Type II to the crankshaft keyway prior to installing the crankshaft vibration damper.

Great write up Peter, VERY easy job to do. My motor was a tad bit quiter, oil pressure went up roughly 20psi in the high range too.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bump...

What "cover" have I heard some people refer to that can get "eaten" up over time by the pump gears? Is that the cover that holds the crank seal, or is it the cover that the pump bolts to?

Looks like I'll try changing the pump to see if it cures my problem. But someone told me that even with a new pump if the "cover" is "eaten" that I'll still have the same problem...

Any ideas, clues, help?

Thanks.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John7894
Bump...

What "cover" have I heard some people refer to that can get "eaten" up over time by the pump gears? Is that the cover that holds the crank seal, or is it the cover that the pump bolts to?

Looks like I'll try changing the pump to see if it cures my problem. But someone told me that even with a new pump if the "cover" is "eaten" that I'll still have the same problem...

Any ideas, clues, help?

Thanks.
There is one cover on the font of the engine. I have heard of the pump wearing the cover. Not good if that's the case because you have to pull the engine.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:23 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:16 AM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
^^ WHS. The front cover is what the lpop bolts to. If it gets chewed up at all, then you're looking at pulling the engine to change it out. The oil pickup tube bolts to it inside the pan.

When you pull the lpop, inspect the area that the gears are against. If there's deep gouges, then there could be a problem. If it's smooth but just has marks on it from the gear spinning, then it isn't a big deal.

I'm installing a new Melling pump soon and am looking forward to seeing results with my big oil.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:48 PM
DavidE
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff can you pls explain how a 1/2 in washer means you don't need a longer bolt??
Ie what do you do with it as part of the reinstall? Thanks

Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 PM
brownie83
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DavidE
Jeff can you pls explain how a 1/2 in washer means you don't need a longer bolt??
Ie what do you do with it as part of the reinstall? Thanks
you use a regular washer. it has to be a large diameter and i think 1/2" hole. the stock washer it about 1/2" THICK. you cannot use the bolt with that washer. i was confused too...i just looked in my "stash" and found a washer to match the outside diameter of the stock one, used that and the bolt to draw the balancer in and ten took the bolt out, washer out, reinstalled the stock washer and bolt. i can get the correct washer size in the am if needed. very easy job...i was very scared at first but everything went as per Peter's instructions. good luck

Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Originally Posted by brownie83
you use a regular washer. it has to be a large diameter and i think 1/2" hole. the stock washer it about 1/2" THICK. you cannot use the bolt with that washer. i was confused too...i just looked in my "stash" and found a washer to match the outside diameter of the stock one, used that and the bolt to draw the balancer in and ten took the bolt out, washer out, reinstalled the stock washer and bolt. i can get the correct washer size in the am if needed. very easy job...i was very scared at first but everything went as per Peter's instructions. good luck
Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:56 PM
DieselHardware
Elder User
Name:  IMAG0180.jpg
Views: 13321
Size:  40.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0182.jpg
Views: 13352
Size:  52.0 KB

Spent yesterday installing my new Melling LPOP and ATI Super Damper. Was very easy and straight forward. Battling the fan getting it in and out was harder than the LPOP and damper. I did lots of reading before selecting the ATI and the biggest thing for me was that the ATI was 7 pounds lighter than the Fluidampr and seemed to be more recommended even in gasser applications. The two downsides are some people have had to hone the hub a bit to make it fit and its a little bigger diameter than the stock unit. Buddy from Empire Diesel Performance had recommended using (2) 70mm idler pulleys instead of the stockers so I had those ready. Some factory belts seem to work, others didn't. I ended up needing to use one of the smaller pulleys and the hub slipped right on, no honing required. So far the truck is running great, but only been on a short drive, and is definitely smoother.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
This may be a stupid question, but can the LPOP be replaced without draining the oil or will all oil in the engine rush out when it is unbolted? Mine has been leaking for a while at the oil seal but I just changed the oil and I hate to change the oil 4,000 miles early to replace the pump.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:27 PM
DieselHardware
Elder User
No need to change the oil. Let it sit overnight and you won't loose much at all.

Quick Reply: Melling LPOP Install