Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Allison and 5.9 Cummins Info Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Old-Fart-Al
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allison and 5.9 Cummins Info Needed.

Howdy everybody, first post here and thrilled to find a forum devoted to the HD Trucks.

Just purchased a 95 F700 with an Allison auto and need to get some info on it and the 5.9 Cummings as-well.

Does this transmission normally shift like a worn out Cadillac? I can hardly tell when it shifts through the first three gears and can't tell when it shifts into forth. I was told it should shift hard and very noticeable.
When in forth at about 50 mph, if I fuel it before it downshifts the RPM's will jump as much as 400 rpm. Is this normal?

The engine on the other hand seems to run fine with no smoke but is totally gutless even when empty. I'm concerned if it will even pull grades when loaded. I would think it would accelerate fairly well when empty. Does ok from a stop but when at a higher speed it seems to take it's time gaining speed. It's not a governor, revs to 2750 in park.
Really didn't want an auto but it was to good a deal to pass up.

Would love any tweeking suggestions I could do to the pump without any meltdown concerns or major modifications to get abit more out of her.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Al.

One last thing, how the H--L do you remove the air filter?
Removed the housing cover, pulled the wire handle, twisted, turned, and yanked on the filter to no avail.

Sorry for such a long post.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:00 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
-Where abouts in Nor Cal are you?
-The allison AT545...It's not the greatest, but a reman is probably the cheapest out there. The shifting is normally pretty smooth, unless it's in the upper end of its power limits. That jump in rpm is just the normal slushy part of the torque converter, since it has no lockup feature.

-Adding power is free, you just slide the fuel plate forward(see the link in my signature line). If you tow heavy with it, you shouldnt go all the way with it. If you live close, I can help you do fuel, rpm, or even timing.

-The air filter should pop right out after you get the cover off.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Old-Fart-Al
Freshman User
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
-Where abouts in Nor Cal are you?
-The allison AT545...It's not the greatest, but a reman is probably the cheapest out there. The shifting is normally pretty smooth, unless it's in the upper end of its power limits. That jump in rpm is just the normal slushy part of the torque converter, since it has no lockup feature.

-Adding power is free, you just slide the fuel plate forward(see the link in my signature line). If you tow heavy with it, you shouldnt go all the way with it. If you live close, I can help you do fuel, rpm, or even timing.

-The air filter should pop right out after you get the cover off.

Thanks for the shout, puts my mind at ease. Not that I'm all that thrilled that it shifts like crap but that it ain't about to shell and scatter parts all over the road.

I reside for the moment by Black Butte reservoire west of Corning. Probably a three hour drive away. Would love to have you do some tinkering on it but at that distance makes it unlikely. I'm moving cross country in about a month (reason for the box truck purchase) so if you get up in this area please let me know and you can work some magic on her.

I got no idea why the air filter won't come out but it hasn't to this point.

Do these trucks have the silencer rings like the 2nd Gen 12 valve Dodges? Can't hardly hear the Turbo spooling and being an ex-trucker the quiet just don't seem right.

Also if anyone has an idea of where to purchase used parts for these trucks at a resonable price, please chime in.

Thanks again for the input.

Al.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
WELCOME to FTE!

I was going to ask a dumb question about the TC lockup, but you already have an answer on that one - their AIN'T one...

Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Old-Fart-Al
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Krewat
WELCOME to FTE!

I was going to ask a dumb question about the TC lockup, but you already have an answer on that one - their AIN'T one...

Thanks for the down home style welcome!

From what I've been able to gather is that the rental trucks that had Allisons were set up to shift soft for the general public use, this one sure does. The kick-down is critical in it's opperation. If lugged it will tend to slip via the converter but if it down shifts and the rpm's come up the converter becomes more efficient. It also will shift harder as the shift point rpm increases.

By the way, I noticed you have a 74 Ford. I just gave away a rust-free 77 F250 4X4 that I was planning on building with a Cummins 4BT. Just can't haul all this stuff out of here when I move. Been working on those old Ford 4X4's for years, good ol trucks.
Also have a 97 Lincoln Mark VIII with the 32 valve 4.6 litre. Excellent powerplant in my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for the shout, have a terrific week.

Al.

Last edited by Old-Fart-Al; 08-23-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:55 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Al, you might be able to stiffen the shifts up, and change the shift pattern...

My '74 F250 has become kids bikes made in China (scrapped) - too much to handle rebuilding it, and I don't have the space to do it in this incorporated village where I can't even park my 2001 F250 on the grass for more than a few days.

My '97 Cougar is the redheaded-stepchild of the Mark VIII. 2-valve 4.6, VERY respectable handling with it's sport suspension that is basically the same as the SuperCoupe of 1989-1995... Basically the same platform as the Mark VIII without the nice motor

Have fun!