Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2010, 01:33 AM
New User

cynestor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Solenoid Wiring Help

2000 Expy 5.4. 150K+.

I was replacing plug/coil #4 and removed the firewall starter solenoid/relay wiring to get in from the side, but when it came time to put everything back together, of course I had forgotten how the wiring worked! The battery side is obvious with the double lead, but the starter/alt side I'm not sure about. I have a heavy gauge red cable and another black, both with leads meant for the larger posts on the solenoid. The black connects to the alternator and the red goes into the firewall. Do they go on different posts or the same? Here's a shot with both of them on the lower post.

Click the image to open in full size.

Right now I'm only getting a click from the solenoid when I try to crank the engine.

When I put the wiring back the first time I had the black cable up on the top post and the red on the bottom. The engine cranked and turned over but then I stopped it after a few seconds and now it won't crank at all. If this was the wrong wire routing could it have messed a component up?

Just tried jumping the two posts with the ignition on and heard the other solenoid on the starter click, but that was it.

FYI Battery is registering fully charged on the dash gauge and on a trickle charger. The running and cabin lights do cut out when I try to crank it (key to start position). But the headlights remain strong. Starter relay fuse (#21) is intact.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Last edited by cynestor; 08-22-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: More info. Trying to be clearer.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 AM
New User

cynestor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update

Found the correct wire routing on this forum via a google image search.
Click the image to open in full size.
So now I understand that both red and black cables should be on the same post.

However, what would prevent the starter from cranking? Could I have damaged something with the miswiring?

Thanks. This is a great forum and I'm glad to have found it.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:58 AM
New User

fordsuv2001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Expedition 2001

Stater went bad as my burns out when I misconnect black wire (alternator) to opposite post of the relay/solenoid.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:58 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
03, 1960, 1980, 2001, 72, 73, engine, expedition, firewall, ford, solenoid, start, top, truck, wiring