Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Michigan Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: just another truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Posting Guru

FordBlueHeart is a name known to allFordBlueHeart is a name known to allFordBlueHeart is a name known to allFordBlueHeart is a name known to allFordBlueHeart is a name known to allFordBlueHeart is a name known to all
Air Compressor questions: Advice Needed

Got a decent gift card recently and I have been thinking about getting an air compressor to do some projects with. I would like one that I can run a sandblaster with. Seems that my research indicates I need to get a 240v system that will supply at least 8 scfm @ 90 psi. I don't really have a shop to run this out of, but may, be able to jury rig up a temporary hook up that I can also use a welder with. My other option is to look at a contractor's gas powered compressor. It will supply the needed scfm @ 90 psi that I need and give me increased portability, but what are the downsides to this approach? I know that it will run all the time, but I don't think that will be a big deal to me.
Can I get by with a smaller 110v compressor and just stop more often?
Maybe one (or more) of the five of us who have been hanging out here lately can give me some input please!
2014 Escape Titanium Ecoboost 2.0crappyMPG!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
Off hand.. the biggest downside is having gas available, fumes, noise, engine maint. Cannot be used inside of closed areas. Lots of contractors use them because of lack of electric power
Old 08-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Posting Guru

FordBlueHeart is a name known to allFordBlueHeart is a name known to allFordBlueHeart is a name known to allFordBlueHeart is a name known to allFordBlueHeart is a name known to allFordBlueHeart is a name known to all
Thanks BigRedTruckMi! I'm not worried about availability of gas or fumes, as at this point, I don't have a garage. So you don't know if there are any differences in the compressor's abilities?
Old 08-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Posting Guru

You have to be kidding me! 28 views and only one response? Its not like I'm looking for some detailed, highly engineered response?
Old 08-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
If the CFM is the same and it matches or exceeds your needs then go for which one would be the best for your long term use. (gas or electric) Remember also you will need to figure some loss of cfm with the length/diameter/length of hose.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks again bigred, and thank you for your service.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Lets see if i can explain this correctly.

There are 2 types of compressors, well, when you get to big ones, the older ones have 1 piston.

You can have a setup where you have a small and a large piston, compound, sorta deal, and another setup where you have 2 large pistons both pumping air.

Each system has its benifits. However. my brain cannot remember them for you.

But, thats the info I got!
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:21 AM
Post Fiend

just another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputation
I dont think it would be the best way to go, but you might find something. You can use a small compressor, pipe it to a large tank, then regulate out of the large tank.

In other words, put a 120 psi into a large tank, but regulate out of the large tank at 90 psi. The large tank will work as a storage and hopefully keep you spraying longer with out your small compressor needing to run constantly. You will have to wait a while for fill up, as well as make up time. BUt it should service you for a bit.

Otherwise a Gas would be the wip.

I didnt want to jump in right away until I had a chance to read, kind of look, and re read it.

My name is Pat, i have not purchased a firearm in 2
day (s). I am Strong, I dont need another Firearm, I am happy purchasing ammo for the fire arms I have. Purchasing the wrong ammo is not an excues to buy another firearm.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Posting Guru

Thanks for the replies William and Pat! I have been pretty busy lately with work.
Check out my signature too. I spent some money.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Post Fiend

just another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputation
Nice...

So..when is the GTG to assemble some of this stuff???

day (s). I am Strong, I dont need another Firearm, I am happy purchasing ammo for the fire arms I have. Purchasing the wrong ammo is not an excues to buy another firearm.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another truck View Post
Nice...

So..when is the GTG to assemble some of this stuff???
Not really sure yet. I have so much stuff on my plate with my wedding coming up in October. I know my fiance is having her bachelorette party in Chicago, the weekend of September 18th, maybe then?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Post Fiend

I dont know.. that will be the weekend of my 9th anniversery.. the 17th I have my CPL class, and my brother in laws birthday..

It would work out though to have it up aroun dyou though, I could tell the wife we would be doing the wine tasting in the afternoon, so it would smove over pretty well, just not sure about that weekend.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Posting Guru

That's ok. I'm so unsure of timing and what I will need as far as tools go, so no big deal. After that its bow season and the wedding and then gun season. So who knows when I will get around to it. Not really sure how long it will take to do everything I have in my signature besides the buckets.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Post Fiend

FLat bed=no clue
Van turbo=included in time to do up pipes
up pipes=5 hours I am thinking
DP tuner= 45 mins
4"exhaust= 45mins , although would most likely do this while doing up pipes.
Injectors= 3.5 hours. Maybe more, but I doubt it.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another truck View Post
FLat bed=no clue
Van turbo=included in time to do up pipes
up pipes=5 hours I am thinking
DP tuner= 45 mins
4"exhaust= 45mins , although would most likely do this while doing up pipes.
Injectors= 3.5 hours. Maybe more, but I doubt it.
Sorry Pat, I should have clarified. The stuff in my sig that is on order or in my basement. That "Future stuff", is going to have to wait.
Guages, 650 dash, CCV, FRX, AIH delete, plenum inserts, 6637
Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Michigan Chapter

Tags
city, ford, traverse, trucks