Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

serpentine belt problems.. help please

Old 08-21-2010, 09:14 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
serpentine belt problems.. help please

I replaced my belt last week because it glazed really bad and it was also slipping all over the place, I got a dayco belt from advance auto it was 110.5" long and was too tight and snapped, put the old glazed belt on. So finally today I went and got a belt that was 112 5/8" long and that had way to much slop in it I could pull the belt off while it was all hooked up on the tensioner, so I put on my new A/C Idler pulley because the bearing was shot and then had to put on the old glazed belt again and now the belt slips off the grooves on the new idler pulley, I don't think that pulley is defective, can you guys tell me where you purchased your serp. belts I payed 50 some dollars at napa for this 112 5/8" belt I'm guessing somewhere around 111 3/8" would be the magic number for our serpentine belts, autozone and advance auto can only get me 110.5" which doesnt help me

Old 08-21-2010, 09:22 PM
oldkountryboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know mine is a 110.5" and it was snug but it fits perfect

Old 08-21-2010, 09:31 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
thats strange, I had to completely pull off the alternator to get the 110.5" belt on and also needed the tensioner bottemed out, I got about 45 miles before it started to shred

Old 08-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
look it up on rockauto.com thatll give you an idea on what you need they deal with a lot of manufacturers and have a whole list of part numbers for you i just replace my belt, idler pully and belt tensioner assembly about 6 months or so ago, i purchased goodyear products iirc, it was a gatorback series goodyear belt

Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
hey look what i found powerstroker.hope this helps:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...1993-f250.html

your sure your following the diagram sticker correctly lol?
i can take mine off and on with ease once i spin the adjusting/idler pulley/tenioner -whatever ya wanna call it.and when i let go of the ratchet it has some travel to go until it pushes on the belt,but would drop lower if no belt was there to stop it.a perfect fit.

ahh i see.it's not so tight as what you found.
duralast knew something that someone else didn't it appears lol.
111.02" is just the ticket.
mines got A/C but its supposed to be the same as your non A/C truck anyway,as they just put a pulley there right?
ahh.mark a point up for the cheap belts this time around boys.
i got ya beat by 12k miles or so using the cheap duralast powerstroker lol.

i would have taken the belt back before trying to fit it like the old v-belt days.
you don't need to remove anything.that's one slick advantage of the modern serpentine belt.loosen,slide on,and release.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:00 PM
oldkountryboy
Elder User
i got mine at autozone, had to replace mine because it popped off one day and it was so coiled up it would not even stay on the pulleys long enough for me to put it on the tensioner

have you double checked to make sure that you have it routed correctly ?

yours and mine should be the same only difference is mine is 2wd and yours is 4wd

Old 08-21-2010, 10:13 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
yep it is routed correctly, thanks for the references f250 and coal roller, looking it up on rockauto right now, would ford dealer have them? I hear they discontinued them, also do you guys have a damper on your tensioners?

Edit: okay found a few belts on rockauto that are 111 5/8" I think there my golden ticket I dont want to order on the internet though

Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
hey look what i found powerstroker.hope this helps:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...1993-f250.html

your sure your following the diagram sticker correctly lol?
i can take mine off and on with ease once i spin the adjusting/idler pulley/tenioner -whatever ya wanna call it.and when i let go of the ratchet it has some travel to go until it pushes on the belt,but would drop lower if no belt was there to stop it.a perfect fit.

ahh i see.it's not so tight as what you found.
duralast knew something that someone else didn't it appears lol.
111.02" is just the ticket.
mines got A/C but its supposed to be the same as your non A/C truck anyway,as they just put a pulley there right?
ahh.mark a point up for the cheap belts this time around boys.
i got ya beat by 12k miles or so using the cheap duralast powerstroker lol.

i would have taken the belt back before trying to fit it like the old v-belt days.
you don't need to remove anything.that's one slick advantage of the modern serpentine belt.loosen,slide on,and release.
I just read this again so your duralast belt is 111" long? so in that link your belt part number is 1110K6
I need to see if my autozone has this, I'm sure duralast is a hell of alot cheaper than this napa belt here

Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
awesome just found that belt on autozones website going to pick it up tomorrow at local shop, yuck I hate driving into the city I always make sure I keep the razor in my pocket some of these characters are funny ones, now back to the deal where my new a/c bypass pulley is throwing this old belt off of a groove? could it be because the grooves on the belt are worn and its not gripping?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
powerstroker let us know how you made out today

Old 08-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Make sure you scrub up your pulleys (break the pulley glaze) with some 180 or 200 grit sand paper before installing a new belt so it don't glaze the new belt on you ...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 08-22-2010, 05:53 PM
drewdole
Senior User
and i think im running a 112 from auto zone, i swear.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
hey guys truck is moving again and I love it for now until something else breaks, got the duralast belt FIT PERFECT thanks f250, idler a/c bypass pulley still slipped the belt though upon looking the powersteering pump underneath the pulley was not level with the a/c idler, the a/c idler was pushed to far in causing the belt between the powersteering and bypass pulley to run diagonal which is why my old one broke I'm guessing and why this belt was popping off, so I make a shim about 1/16" thick and slid it on the back up against the idler pulley bearing and now it doesnt slip off but I also only took it for a 3 mile ride to test it

Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
hey youre runin though thats always a good thing!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:16 PM
texkenUSMC
Freshman User
I have a 2002 f250 7.3 and the belt keeps making a whiping sound. I have replaced a/c clutch and bearing. Also the idler, tensioner, and water pump still doing it. Any ideas it always happens at highway speed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: serpentine belt problems.. help please