6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 f250 Weight

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 PM
markt1993
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I know

I am in SC, and have a 2008 250 6.4 4 dor and 4x4. I tow a good bit, from a boat, enclosed trailers and a 25' flatbed gooseneck. I also own a trucking company. Here in SC I have to run a truck tag on my 250. I asked them what determines it. It's the GVW. Here it is nice, if you don't use a truck tag you pay taxes on the value of the vehicles. With a truck tag you pay by weight, well the truck is considered light compared to big rigs. Example, wife's 2007 expedition taxes were close to $400.00 my 250 texes were $250.00. Now also here for another $50.00 per year I can up the GCW up to 26,000. I did, and figurre the truck is good for it, the diesel and trans are pretty much the same all the way up to the F450. In fact if you look the International box trucks also use the 6.4.
The most my truck has weighed was 27,000lbs. And don't fuss at me, I almost flipped out. But it was a deal where I loaded the trailer and drove off and thought "wow this seems heavy." But the truck towed it like a champ and I had no issues at all, but don't recomend it. but it's nice to know that the truck can handle that much weight, so if you weigh in around 20,000 you'll have no trouble.
Now to help with the CDL questions. Technically if the trailer is over 10,000lbs you are suppose to have a CDL, but they let you slide if you are not for hire. If you are over 26,001lbs and cross state lines you are suppose to have a IFTA sticker, but once again if you are not for hire they let you slide. I pull my gooseneck trailer all over the east coast and never stop at weigh stations. You can haul your stuff all you want, but if you are geting payed for it, that is when you can have problem. Now I will say some states have the weigh in motion scales on the interstate before you even exit to the weigh station, i change lanes just to avoid the chance of them stopping me.
Also in SC they now say that if you drive a RV that is over 26,001lbs you now have to get a bus license.
As far as weigh stations, you only are required to stop if you are for hire, for the most part. The guy driving the semi's town their RV have to stop, they need DOT and MC#'s as well as the IFTA sticker, but if they are not for hire they will never get stopped. Also if you don't know IFTA is International Fuel Tax Agreement. Basically makes sure that each state you drive in gets paid for it, esp if you didn't buy fuel in that state.
To sum it up it is all about money. They are after the guys earning money, they figure the RV'er might spend money in their state so they will let you get away with it. Trust me, it's rough in the trucking business between log books, keeping up with how many miles you drive in each state, insurance, and a** hole DOT workers.
Sorry this was so long but I hope it helps and answers some questions, you can contact me if you have any other questions, I'm glad to help.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:28 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Mark, hi. I agree with everything you said except that states let us slide. I think you will find that all those statutes apply only to commerical operations. I wouldn't even mention it but I would hate for someone to go away thinking they need a CDL. In some states they may need an endorsement on the drivers license to operate certain sized RVs and they may even have to pass a test, but if there is a state that requires a CDL for a non-commerical RV driver I have not been able to find it, and I've looked till my eyeballs bled.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:22 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can also look at it this way:

If you travel more than 100 miles from your business address for work, in a business owned vehicle, you are a commercial vehicle regardless of how heavy your vehicle is or whether or not you are towing anything.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:48 AM
markt1993
Junior User
Here is the link for SC stating what you need. They say you need a class E for motorhomes over 26,000. It's almost at the bottom of the page. Hope it helps.
SC Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 08-28-2010, 10:12 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ruschejj

If you travel more than 100 miles from your business address for work, in a business owned vehicle, you are a commercial vehicle regardless of how heavy your vehicle is or whether or not you are towing anything.
Really? wow, what state is that? What about a ford ranger or a car? I know many folks who drive all over for their work and never heard of this.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:33 PM
SDLineman
Freshman User
Here is California's description of who needs a CDL.

Commercial Driver License Handbook Section 1

It's a little vague on what a commercial vehicle is, but there is a class A, B, and C CDL. I used to work at a boat dealership years ago, and I was talking to a CHP officer about an out of town boat show we were heading to. He made me aware of the class C CDL, but his interpretation was we only needed it when towing for work. He also was honest enough to say that very few cops even know those laws, and even fewer care, so the chances of getting ticketed is very slim. I had gotten some info. from the DMV that had said basically what ruschejj stated, but I couldn't find it today.

There is also a non-commercial class A and B that is required for some RVs:

A noncommercial driver license is issued in the following two classes:

Noncommercial Class A
Noncommercial Class B
A Noncommercial Class A license is required if you tow:

a travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which is not used for hire.
a fifth-wheel travel trailer weighting over 15,000 lbs. GVWR which is not used for hire.
a livestock trailer that is not for hire, weight over 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, and is operated within 150 miles of the farm by a farmer to transport livestock.
A Noncommercial Class B license and endorsement is required if you operate:

A housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet.
Exemptions: Holders of a commercial Class A or B license, a noncommercial Class A license, and all fire fighter license classes.

I know it's a little off topic, but I thought everyone may want to know

Last edited by SDLineman; 08-28-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by markt1993
Here is the link for SC stating what you need. They say you need a class E for motorhomes over 26,000. It's almost at the bottom of the page. Hope it helps.
SC Department of Motor Vehicles
OK, i went there and it requires a Class E non-commerical license to operate a single over 26000, and certain trailers. You must pass a test to get the class E. A class E drivers license is not a CDL. A CDL is a COMMERICAL drivers license. It is a federal program administered by the federal Department of Transportation. Admittedly some states have intra state CDLs for drivers who operate within the state only. A federal CDL requires amoung other things, a physical, and drug testing. Anyway, I still agree with all the things you said. See ya.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by markt1993
Now to help with the CDL questions. Technically if the trailer is over 10,000lbs you are suppose to have a CDL,
Not true. Even if it is commercial.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj

How do you figure that?

Commercial Motor Vehicle has a definite definition and has nothing of what you stated in it.

IMO you are confusing log book requirements with CMV.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
You can't just use GVWR minus actual weight and say that's how much load you can put on the truck. You actually have to look at the load sticker to see what the payload is, chances are it's less than calculated.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF
You can't just use GVWR minus actual weight and say that's how much load you can put on the truck. You actually have to look at the load sticker to see what the payload is, chances are it's less than calculated.
Why not? How the heck do you think they came up with it?

Old 11-21-2010, 05:09 AM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crete
Why not? How the heck do you think they came up with it?

One word... Magic.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
the cert label does give an estimated payload on how the truck is configured upon leaving the factory.

That estimated payload though only includes the driver and no additional tools or things you may carry.

Best thing you could ever do for yourself is go to a cat scale, pay the 9 bucks and get a cerifiied weight.

Now with that and your axle ratings, again from the door sticker you will truely know where you are at.

Then you have some options at this point. I have mine registered for 12K.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF
One word... Magic.
That response actually makes more sense then your previous.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Machinator
Senior User
All I know is the truck has pulled all the weight I have ever asked it to. I think the 2011 superduty's are actually quite a bit lighter than us but not sure. I know they have aluminum heads/lighter alloy block which ford claims is some 400 lb's lighter than the 6.4 alone! Damn! But I like this one so Ill stick with it.
Scott

Quick Reply: 2008 f250 Weight