1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration! Help Identify It!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 PM
asok
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by criticaleye
My 2000 F250 Crew Cab Lariat begins shaking (more in the seat) at about 70mph plus. The tires were roatated a while ago by the previous owner and he said that this was the cause of the shaking. Is that so and if it is will it eventually even out or should I attempt to get new tires? The ones on now have about half the tread left. I appreciate your help!
I will contribute to the hijack a bit more

I have a vibration from the tires on my truck (2000 f250). I rotated the tires and it became clear that the vibration is coming from the tires (tires on back vibration in the back and none in front, tires in the front vibration in steering wheel but none in the back).

I took it to the shop to see if they could do something about it and their response was to say balancing wouldn't do me a whole lot of good on worn MT tires.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:18 PM
GUNNERDOG
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by asok
I took it to the shop to see if they could do something about it and their response was to say balancing wouldn't do me a whole lot of good on worn MT tires.
Why not?

Did they try to balance the tires on a ballancing machine and fail? or are they just trying to sell you new tires? Try a different shop, or get balancing beads.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd try a different shop for sure asok. Sounds like they are just trying to sell you new tires. You can balance tires no matter what. How worn they are should have no affect on the balancing.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:14 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cdrmotorsports
I feel it in the steering wheel and the gas pedal. I do notice it when I start from a dead stop. It seems to be worse when I start from a dead stop.
U-Joints or drive shaft....The drive shafts are notorious for coming out of true which will make the steering wheel vibrate like a tire is out of balance....same with the accelerator and brake pedal if you're only covering it.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:02 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Hopefully its just a U-joint. Would a driveshaft just end up going bad like that?

Old 08-20-2010, 04:32 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cdrmotorsports
Hopefully its just a U-joint. Would a driveshaft just end up going bad like that?
They will....the ones in the 150's are aluminum. (Big as hell too) The 250's are steel, (CC anyhow) but hollow, and have 2 shafts counting that carrier bearing. One bad bump on them at the specific angle of x.y+z2 with the carrier shaft at z.l+z3-7 and it will bend it just a fraction...(kidding about the formula) I bent mine somehow, and it took me putting it on jackstands and using a dial indicator to figure it out. Replaced it, and the vibration was gone... If the OP had some repairs done recently, and they didn't index it the same as when it came out, that could be the prob too.

LSS, I went through 2 alignments, 2 sets of ball joints, tie rod ends, and bearings before I jacked it up and put it in drive at the urging of a friend. Didn't do the u-joints as they were still solid.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:55 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
vibration

i'm thinking you should check the carrier bearing.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:12 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Alright guys, here's the update: Took my truck to my buddy's (a very reliable family friend) shop today. He found the the rear U-joint on the rear driveshaft was complete junk. Replaced it and called to say the truck was done. Truck still vibrates like crazy. So I really took note of what it was doing. At about 30 MPH accelerating it starts to vibrate in the steering wheel really badly. As soon as I let of the gas, it vibrates less. It also feels like it is pulling to the right. It used to go perfectly straight down the road and now it seems to pull to the right a bit. I might just be imaging things.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
if he dropped the rear driveshaft and pulled it out of the slipyoke to just work on the rear u-joint. he may have fazed it one spline off. check to make sure all the u-joint are all lined up in a straght line. and check and see if the last shaft has any balance weights on it.if so they could all be in a row but the rear one may have the balance weight in a different spot and it could really throw off the balance.none of this should make it pull. check tire pressures first.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
So we pulled everything apart today and found that the yoke that the u-joint attaches to on the rear end was junk, probably why the first u-joint was so bad. Ordered a new yoke from Albany NY and it should be here tomorrow morning. My fingers are crossed.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:12 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Got my truck back yesterday and everything is perfect. Drives like a 6" lifted dream again! Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it

Old 09-30-2010, 06:39 AM
BLUE SUPER DUTY
Junior User
Well i also am experiencing vibrations that the garages have been unable to... OR in Fords case maybe unwilling to fix.
Forgive me for butting in on this thread,, but thought it might be better to post here than start another thread with the same title.
Hope that's OK.
And if you guys don't mind replying to my scenario,, that would be great.
Albeit, probably repeating what you just said in your previous replies.
I have a:
2007 F250 Lariat, CC, 4X4 , auto., 6.0 L with about 66k mi. now.
I feel vibrations in steering wheel; a little shimmy sometimes and small vibration just holding the wheel lightly in addition to a small rumble.
I feel vibrations in gas pedal... and in the seat.
To me it felt like a combination of tire balance and driveline/u joint.
But i thought,, how could this be happening at 40k mi.??.. can't be.
At about 40k mi., i took to ford dealer complaining of front end vibrations.
Diagnosis; tires out of balance,, they rebalanced.
Back out on highway,, same thing. Had it back to them numerous times and they keep telling me same thing... each time with a little different twist... they actually broke the tires off and remounted them.. they should be fine this time...blah blah..whatever. Still vibrates.
I've had it into tire shops and had them balance the stock BFG rugged trails but to no avail. Still vibrates.. Tires had about 66k mi. on ... So i had them replaced with Michelin LTX MS2 the smoothest rolling tire you can buy they tell me.
Back on highway,, vibration diminished a noticeable amount but still there and steering wheel still shimmy a little.
I don't want to go back to ford garage and waste more time.
I know what drivelines and u joints are but not a carrier bearing.

TIA

Old 11-11-2014, 09:43 AM
mcducky
New User
Diesel driveline vibration & ICP INFO.....

I have been fighting, for the last 2 years, with my 03 F250 6.0 vibrating at about 52 MPH- 60 MPH and then again at 70MPH, I have changed the u joints numerous times, had driveshaft balanced, changed carrier bearing a couple of times, new tires, new wheel bearing, etc. Just wanted to throw this out there as it took me 2 years to find. First I was getting erratic injector codes and mechanic says nothing wrong, told this numerous times, was told FICm was good. So I finally took the chance, bought new FICM from River City Diesel(they have been great to me), truck runs alot smoother but my vibration got worse. So I searched the internet for this situation and found a article about the ICP cured this persons vibration, so again I took the chance, bought new ICP from Ford and installed. WOW.. Vibration completely gone and truck has so much more power. Hard to believe that the ICP can cause the vibration throughout the truck. I wish I could find the person that wrote that article and thank him personally!! Another project I can finally check off the list for this truck. Hope this helps someone.