Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
We used the stock manifold, Cut and welded it as to the firing order. Was like a song. 1 and 1 in one pipe than 1 in the other. Sounded better with stacks on a truck than two pipes under a car. The sound under compression when shifting down was the best.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 11-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Elder User

91Bronc300 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
We used the stock manifold, Cut and welded it as to the firing order. Was like a song. 1 and 1 in one pipe than 1 in the other. Sounded better with stacks on a truck than two pipes under a car. The sound under compression when shifting down was the best.

Arctic, I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I'm really interested in this idea. A 300 is going in place of the 400 in my '79 once the rest of the chassis is done and though I'm not set up to weld cast iron I'm not going to use a log manifold anyway. I might be able to make up a custom set of headers though. So with the 153624 firing order of the 300 and the EFI exhaust manifolds being 123, 456 they fire:

front, back, front, back, front back

but you're saying some sort of custom manifold that goes 165, 234 so it goes:

front, front, back, front, back, back

correct?

And if that is correct. How the heck did you modify a log manifold to do that? I prefer straight six motors over V8's is basically every respect except exhaust sound so I must admit you've piqued my interest. Thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Okay the secret is to split it 4 and 2. Not 3 and 3. The 4 side fires twice than the 2 side once than 4 side twice again than 2 side once again. We did stove bolt 6's and flat 6's mostly. Ya could tell our engines at the dirt track very easy by the sound. Guys started doing this with tube headers for the track when I left in the late 60's and claimed more power over the 3 and 3 split. Now ya know the rest of the story. The sound is like nothing ya have ever heard before. I do miss it. Always wanted to do it to the Cummins in my Logger but never did. Would sound awesome coming off the mountain on the Jake Brake.

A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Elder User

91Bronc300 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you Arctic. That's something I'm going to seriously have to think about. I wish somebody would have a current setup like that and take a video of it but I doubt it. I love how V8's seem to sing a cord rather than just drone like a I6 does. Would sure be great if I could make my 300 do that.

Sorry about the late reply BTW, I'm too broke for my own internet. Or rather, I figure why pay for it when I get the milk for free at the library.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Old School

I bet if ya Googled it ya may fine something. Google is yer friend don't ya know.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Post Fiend

6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
300's have a nice sound too. V8's will always sound the best but I've heard I6's that sounded very good. If done right I think a 300 sounds every bit as good as a V8 down low.

Gotta love the way a V8 sounds though. I just love a V8 with a cam. Oh, baby!

until Lambs become Lions
Add me on FaceBook! https://www.facebook.com/bill.holsinger.5?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 11-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Old School

I like my V8 with BEER

Old 11-06-2010, 10:36 PM
New User

jjaguda is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just got the Walker Y pipe and a Magnaflow installed so I'll wait to experiment on exhaust for another time.

On a different subject, I've searched for an article for converting the non-power brakes to power brakes since I will be reuilding/replacing the whole brake system. All I'm finding is rear disc brake threads. Any help on what I need to do just to get a little power to the brakes?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:05 PM
New User

300 + Magnaflow = too quiet?

So here is a video of the newly rebuilt 300 with a single 2.5" magnaflow fed from the Walker Y pipe. It has a little more tone when the auto is in gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Z5eQiEqu8
Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Postmaster

1986F150six has a great reputation on FTE.1986F150six has a great reputation on FTE.1986F150six has a great reputation on FTE.1986F150six has a great reputation on FTE.1986F150six has a great reputation on FTE.
That engine is sooo clean!! Nice job!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:14 PM
New User

On to the fuel tank...

HI guys.

Moving along slowly in the resto of this truck, I ordered a Spectra fuel tank and sending unit. It is "Niterne" steel in description which is said to be highly corrosion resistant. My question: Does anyone think that I should paint it to add another level of corrosion resistance. Here is a description of the steel I found on-line.

"U. S. Steel NI-TERNE Sheet is manufactured using a similar process as that used for terne sheet to apply a lead-tin coating. The difference in processing is that the annealed cold-rolled steel sheet is first processed through a section of the coating line to apply a thin flash coating of electrodeposited nickel under the same type of hot dip lead-tin alloy coating as U. S. Steel Terne sheet. The nickel base coat gives U. S. Steel NI-TERNE Sheet an extra measure of corrosion resistance which is primarily achieved by improving the wetability between the lead-tin coating and the steel substrate during the hot-dip coating process. Both U. S. Steel Terne Sheet and U.S. Steel NI-TERNE Sheet are offered in an identical range of sheet sizes, thicknesses and coating weights."
Old 03-20-2014, 03:40 PM
New User

itzsnitz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check In

I'm working on my own 300 rebuild and found this thread extremely helpful. I also see that it has been a number of years since the last post. Any updates on your project?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300

Tags
040, 1977, 260, 49l, 76, cam, comp, f100, ford, isky, mileomar, overbore, restoring, rpm, tricked, trucks