Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Postmaster

F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.
a little help here, members

Okay, I have to speak my mind. You're killing me here. I do not think you should put that engine together with the old timing gears, ESPECIALLY the fiber type gear!! I will shout if you do that. You are spending all the time and money, and then putting it together reusing the one part that is notorious for failing on these engines. Give me your address and I will send you a new Comp Cams all metal gear set in the mail.

Forum members, am I the only one that is bothered by this? Please chime in here. I believe the owner is being penny wise and pound foolish.

Take that cam to a machine shop and have them remove R&R the gear.

[SIGPIC]
Old 10-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Senior User

Wyowanderer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Wyowanderer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer View Post
Okay, I have to speak my mind. You're killing me here. I do not think you should put that engine together with the old timing gears, ESPECIALLY the fiber type gear!! I will shout if you do that. You are spending all the time and money, and then putting it together reusing the one part that is notorious for failing on these engines. Give me your address and I will send you a new Comp Cams all metal gear set in the mail.

Forum members, am I the only one that is bothered by this? Please chime in here. I believe the owner is being penny wise and pound foolish.

Take that cam to a machine shop and have them remove R&R the gear.
F250's right. The cam gear you're about to use is likely to fail, and when it does, all that fiber will circulate through your nice new clean engine and foul the oil passages. Just buy the new gear, put it in the oven at 400 degrees for a half hour, and it'll slip right on while you're wearing your wife's favorite oven mitts. don't take a chance- you'll prolly be sorry.

1984 Ford F150, 300-6, NP435, NP208.

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants-Albert Camus
Old 10-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Postmaster

1986F150six has a great reputation on FTE.1986F150six has a great reputation on FTE.1986F150six has a great reputation on FTE.1986F150six has a great reputation on FTE.1986F150six has a great reputation on FTE.1986F150six has a great reputation on FTE.
jjaguda,

These guys have your best interest at heart. One has even offered to send you a gear set. This is a great forum with knowledgable and helpful folks!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Elder User

91Bronc300 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It seems a little like an odd choice to reuse the old cam and gear but to install new lifters when you just intend to install a new cam and gear next summer. You will need to rebuy new lifters at that point anyway. Rebuying a set of lifters is about the same money as buying a new timing set. Why not buy a new cam and gears now and get the whole shebang done this year? Then you won't have to tear into the motor at all next summer.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
New User

jjaguda is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys.

I'll get the gears. Can't say that I want to pull the cover and then try to re-allign it (F250 Restorer - I figured out what you were referencing with the timing cover guides/no guides in your earlier post when I put the cover back on). Since I did not receive a s i n g l e response to my 10/7 and 10/8 posts, I figured it really was no big deal. Also, a coulpe of posts I read on cam gears stated that there was no problem with 130 - 175k on the fiber gear (just pointing out what I found in my 2 hrs of searching).

F-250 restorer - If you have a set you are looking to sell, I'll buy the gears. Let me know what you want for the gears.

I would again say thanks. I do understand the the responses are trying to protect me, from myself.

Joe
Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Postmaster

F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.
I think, for me, a large part of the forum is my not wanting to step on anyone's toes, so to speak. I saw your post regarding the t. mark alignment. Since I had no experience with the fiber gear, I remained silent.

I guess it took a while for the impact of what you were going to do to sink in. When it finally occurred to me that I could save you trouble and time and money by speaking up, my helpfulness outweighed my manors, and I spoke up.

The t. gears I have are not worth sending. But as I stated before, if you need a set to complete the engine, and I can save you from putting it together with those old gears, I will send you a set of new ones. Just PM me.

[SIGPIC]
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 AM
New User

F-250 restorer: Thanks for the offer on the gears. It is very much appreciated. Your experience, and everyone else's experience, is what I need and will continue to need through the rebuilding process of this truck. Judging by the rate I'm at now, my original 5 year projection for this full restoration might be on the optimistic side. While my son is still not very interested yet, his out look will change as he gets older and begins to see visible progress.

The Holley 390 is due in today. From the threads I've had time to read, it looks like I'll be busy with a little fabrication. i think I'm giong straight to the Lokar cable for the auto trans kickdown (though I have pondered just pulling the auto and looking into a conversion to a manual trans). I did see a member's template for the throttle bracket which will be a great help.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:02 AM
New User

Making progress.

Here is an update on the build. My son now knows there is a light at the end of the tunnel after seeing the shiney clean looking motor almost completed (except that I still have to pull the timing gears....).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Just found yer thread. Great job. My boys are 9 and 11 and I am 57 and been a mechanic all my life. Started at 12 with my dad who was a timber cutter but mechanically inclined. I must say I learned from his mistakes.

Anyway I dido getting rid of the fiber gears for sure. And I see ya found the mark on the gear. As I teach my boys to drive as we are out hunting they are getting more inclined to want to learn to work on the old trucks. I don't push them but ask if they want to help and most times the 11 year old will, so it is good. He can get me to help if something happens when we are out and can change a tire and a few other things now. Good luck.

Arctic

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 10-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Elder User

It's looking pretty good it's going to look great with a brand new holley on there too. Are your transmission cooler lines in the way of where your exhaust down pipe will go? Kind of hard to tell in the picture. What down pipe and muffler do you plan to use?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:55 PM
New User

Yep, the 10 (and a half) year old will become more interested as the truck progresses and he get closer to driving age.

THe Holley is ready. Received the heated spacer in the mail yesterday. Bought the Lokar kick-down for the C4. The trans oil lines look fine. Picked up a new radiator and formed hoses today.

In between receiving parts, we've been re-finishing odds and ends like the alternator bracket, oil and trans dip sticks, etc.

I'm not sure yet how I'll set up the exhaust. I have the all stainless 2.5 inch cat-back OEM set-up from my '08 F150 that looks like it will fit from the tail forward with some mounting fabrication. I was thinking about building the Y pipe myself. I bought the OEM two-bolt FI flanges off of ebay to go that route, but I may bring the truck to the exhaust shop and get it done all at once. I've seen a couple of nods to the Walker pipe, so I'll look for one. I also checked with a local FORD yard - they wanted $150 for the FI pipe the meets at the cat converter. I had an 85 f150 with the 300 and dual exhaust at one time, but got tired of the drone. I even jsut changed the cat-back on my 4.6l Mustang back to stock. Wife says I'm getting old....
Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 AM
New User

Couldn't resist.

Got the bits and pieces back on the motor. Since it was aready bolted in to the engine bay, I cranked it up. First time my son heard a motor with open headers.

YouTube - Ford 300 c.i.d. straight six rebuild

The Walker Y pipe and comp gears on on the way. Guess it will be easier to pull the radiator and grille than to pull th motor again for the gears.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Senior User

Wyowanderer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Wyowanderer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaguda View Post
Got the bits and pieces back on the motor. Since it was aready bolted in to the engine bay, I cranked it up. First time my son heard a motor with open headers.

YouTube - Ford 300 c.i.d. straight six rebuild

The Walker Y pipe and comp gears on on the way. Guess it will be easier to pull the radiator and grille than to pull th motor again for the gears.
Don't tease us- give it some gas!

1984 Ford F150, 300-6, NP435, NP208.

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants-Albert Camus
Old 11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Back in the day we used to split the exhaust 2 and 4. It had a lot better sound.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
Back in the day we used to split the exhaust 2 and 4. It had a lot better sound.
What do you mean exactly? Custom headers that routed four cylinders into one collector and the other two into a second? How did it change the sound?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM