1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

INJECTOR UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
dakota333
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INJECTOR UPGRADE

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1">I have a set of injectors for my truck and i was wandering what is the best way to upgrade them. I was thinking send them in to be rebuilt or buy parts to rebuild them myself. I am just looking for the cheapest way to do it. Thanks.

1997 f-250 extended cab, 5 spd, 4x4

upgrades in progess-ts performance 6-pos chip, turbo upgrade, adding innercooler (both of a '99 f350 7.3), straight pipe (custom built)

future-lift, tires, upgradeing sound system, straight axle <!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 08-17-2010, 08:03 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I'd contact Jim at Rosewood Diesel, he does great work and has very reasonable prices, along with being a site sponsor. Many on here have dealt with him

Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE!!

Jim at Rosewood for sure. send him your injectors for a rebuild/upgrade. He doesn't do the DIY kits anymore so thats the cheapest option right now.

as far as your future upgrades I see a couple things i'd change.. Keep your stock turbo rather than switching to the SD turbo.. If you upgrade turbos then either go with a D66 from Beans or get an aftermarket mounting kit(uppipes, pedistal, etc.) and go with either an H2E or an S300 or something. Your stock turbo is better than the SD turbo either way though.

For the chip the TS chip is OK, but you will want custom tunes on the TS chip from someone like Tony @ Total Diesel Performance, Matt @ Gearhead, Bill @ PHP, etc. You will get better results from their tunes than the tunes that are on the TS chip..

Before you do some of this stuff though you need to get a set of guages(EGT and boost), do the 6637 intake, shim your fuel pressure, and look into upgrading your high pressure oil pump. Once you get injectors and custom tunes you will need a clutch pretty soon and you will see that most of us recommend Valair clutch for that.

How much power are you looking for? that will help us figure out what you may need in terms of a turbo and size of injectors.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I had TS perfromance chip with there tune's befor i got it reburned TS tunes are ok BUT you want be happy with it trust me it does nothing they say it does all you get is a real touchy go pedal high EGT's witch is not good go with a known tuner i learned that lesson the hard way

Old 08-17-2010, 09:54 PM
dakota333
5th Wheeling
thanks everyone. ive been researching and i found a place that reburned for $150. it will be shipped to them soon but its still in the mail on the way here haha.

hey travis my friend told me about deathrow diesel cause i asked him if there was a shop that i could hang around and learn. is there anyway you think i could do that?

well anyways back to the truck. i was a assistant at christan brothers automotive for a ex-ford master tech and he was helping me with my truck and im on a budget so he said to get a turbo off a newwer 7.3, so i went to a junk yard and found one. complete with all the tubeing, downpipe, up-pipe, pedistol, and innercool. he said that it wouldnt create as much boost but it would run cooler obvioulsy and would just be better. whats your opinion on that. also im probably going to get a gague package from glowshift direct soon. something i forgot to put in my orignal post was that i need to replace my bucket seats. the previous owner seemed rough on the truck and broke the driver seat and then welded it so it only stays in one place. pretty uncomfrontable. anyone know what would be a good replacement. again thanks everyone

Old 08-17-2010, 09:59 PM
dakota333
5th Wheeling
p.s. im on a budget but i want things done right so if i have to save up do the right thing then i will. im not looking to make crazy power, i just want a badass daily driver.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:05 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
the deal is with the superduty turbo is that its just a smidge smaller, so it will yeild higher EGTS, but you have the intercooler so i dont think it will be that big of a deal, our stock turbos are non wastegated and are just bigger overall.

oh man just wait for this response from travis, you said GlowShift LOL

curious to who your getting your reburn from on the chip?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
The wheel on the SD turbo is less aggressive than ours on the OBS making it not as desirable as just leaving the stocker in there. Also, if you switch to the SD turbo, you will also need to upgrade to 3" plenums because our stock plenums will not mate up to that SD spyder, unless its an early 99 spyder which in that case, the turbo should be the same as our stocker iirc. So If its a later 99-03 SD turbo and spyder, then you need to upgrade plenums, uppipes, pedistal, drivers side manifold, downpipe and of course the turbo. That to me isn't really as efficient as it comes. But hey, thats just me. If it was me, i would ditch the idea of the SD turbo, use the intercooler and pipes but get an early 99 spyder so that you dont have to switch plenums. That would be my suggestion. If you want to upgrade that turbo, get a d66 or the newer comp tp38 that i have heard is like the d66, im sure someone else knows more about that than me. But those two turbos are direct replacements for our trucks and flow more air than the stocker without breaking the bank, each under a grand.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:19 PM
95PSDieselP
Senior User
it is cheaper to do it yourself and really is not that hard..

Old 08-17-2010, 10:19 PM
dakota333
5th Wheeling
whats wrong with glowshifts haha. you have them.
and i think im gonna send it to wildman at tdp

Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 95PSDieselP
it is cheaper to do it yourself and really is not that hard..
Not quite. If you can find someone to do the machining for super cheap then yes. But i would argue in the end, its cheaper to have someone like Jim rebuild them. There is a thread going on about this if you wanna check it out.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:27 PM
dakota333
5th Wheeling
james-

im not a expert on turbos but the guy that has been helping me said that it would fit perfectly. not saying your wrong or anything since i dont even know for sure but he said that the setup would be overall better. and he also said that i had everything i needed. he looked at the wheel and said it was a little wore so i was thinking about getting a new one from xdp

and psdiesel-
what are you talking about?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 PM
dakota333
5th Wheeling
oh your talking about rebuliding the injectors. well i was also looking at doing that too. im not sure what im going to do yet. not in a rush though. just doing it slow and researching

Old 08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
95PSDieselP
Senior User
Originally Posted by dakota333
oh your talking about rebuliding the injectors. well i was also looking at doing that too. im not sure what im going to do yet. not in a rush though. just doing it slow and researching
Good idea, some of that stuff is not for messing with you know.
but good luck on whatever you decide. let us know how she goes

Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 PM
dakota333
5th Wheeling
will do, thanks

Quick Reply: INJECTOR UPGRADE