Print Wikipost

2011+ 6.2 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:51 AM
chrislambing
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bryyce62
Do you tow anything with that rig? Wondering how the MagnaFlow system sounds under tow?
yah I regularly tow 8 to 12k and it has a nice deep growl to it

Old 01-17-2017, 04:54 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by chrislambing
yah I regularly tow 8 to 12k and it has a nice deep growl to it
This is good to know. I will not have a chance to tow until spring, so I have not yet heard mine under a tow load. Chrislambing, your posts on this system were one of the factors I considered when I had to install a new exhaust on my 2011 w/6.2.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:34 AM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea of installing the MagnaFlow system for some time now. Might just have to pull the trigger on it.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Deerfield411
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I went ahead and ordered the dynomax last night. Guess I'll see what I think when it comes and I get it on.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:21 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Got the part number for the dynomax front y pipe, it's 54739. Haven't done much research on the lowest price yet, but a quick scan shows jegs as selling it 161.99. My plans are to delete the front and rear resonator, keep the factory muffler, and change the swept on the tail pipe and cap it off with a nice 5" tip.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:02 PM
Deerfield411
Senior User
Is there a trick to removing the tailpipe in one piece? I was going to do it today but it looks practically impossible to get it all out.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Yes, the tailpipe and muffler are one piece. Jack the rear of the truck up letting rear suspension sag. Probably not the safest thing, but I put my jack under my drop hitch and scotched the front tires. Jacked it up until the rear tires were barely touching, then slid jack stands under it. Then just pull and rotate muffler and pipe forward.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:24 PM
lvkid89
New User
Small update for anyone interested. I went ahead and did the straight pipe only leaving the large resonator. Sound was very loud, but not much drone at any speed that I noticed. Gas mileage improved to about 13.5 average v about 12 avg on stock exhaust. I enjoyed it but it was a little loud for my taste and spring-fall I do alot of camping trips and travel alot. Too much for me.

I went ahead and bought a flowmaster 40 3.5 in/out - just had it installed with my one large resonator still on. Tone is much better and cleaner in my opinion, however between about 1600-1800ish the drone in the cab is pretty bad. Gas mileage has dipped back down to about what it was with my stock exhaust.

I should note, when I had the straight pipe it felt like I lost a lot of low end torque, getting the flowmaster on , the first thing I noticed was the low end had so much more power again. I am happier with the flowmaster - but I think I will be going back to the shop in the next couple of weeks to have the oem put back on as the drone at 70 is pretty consistent and loud.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
This drone is the reason I'm planning on running the stock muffler and deleting both resonators.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:31 PM
lvkid89
New User
Went back to the shop and put a Magnaflow #12909 on. Much much happier with this muffler. It is quieter than I would like, but there is no drone and it has a nice tone to the exhaust outside the vehicle. Torque feels great, and gas mileage seems to be about 13-13.2 which is only a tad less than I was getting from my straight pipe. I think is the ticket for now. There is 0 drone, just a nice exhaust note at 70. Very mellow but you can here the motor. The Flowmaster was all drone.

Edit: Got a good drive in today, gas mileage held study at 13.5-13.9, mix of highway and city. Tone is breaking in and becoming a bit deeper, no drone, and pulls stronger than before when I mashed the pedal at 65-80. Felt real good. I highly recommend this Magnaflow if you don't want something super loud, but something with a great tone from the 6.2. I left my large resonator in and took off my little one. There are no added bends in my piping either.

I also called my Ford dealer today and asked about a muffler delete. The guy said putting an aftermarket exhaust and muffler on is no biggy, he said he could see a potential issue or, at least, an issue to make warranty a harder process is a muffler delete because you took a part completely off and didn't replace it with anything. The logic makes sense, I am aware of the legal act, however I am not a lawyer and don't want a legal fight. So Im gonna roll with the muffler for awhile just to cover my own ***. Thought it was decent info to post. - overall the truck feels like it runs far better with a muffler on.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:06 PM
rblank
Freshman User
2011 F250. Put on a completely new, stainless system from the cat pipes back, using an MBRP 3.5" inlet and 4" outlet. No stock exhaust left other than the cat pipes and manifolds.

MBRP | Products

It's loud first thing in the morning when I hit the remote start from inside the house and it cracks off, but quiets down considerably once it warms up.Tone is deep, and noticeable, but I don't think it's overbearing. I do a fair amount of driving and it doesn;t bother me. Of course I'm half deaf already anyway....

Old 02-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Deerfield411
Senior User
Originally Posted by GG386
Here's what I ended up doing with mine. No cel's, no drone under load, best tank MPG was 14.2 (per computer), work done about 6 months ago. No regrets, evil sound and less expensive than any kit out there.

3" SS bends from downpipe(s) to muffler

Mate to factory connections

Factory connections

Abandoned resonator

Muffler inlet side

Muffler outlet side

Notice the factory hangar points were retained on the new system, (rock solid), with a slight gain on ground clearance. Magna Flow X type, 22" muffler used, 3" in/out, SS.

Very slight increase in exhaust note @ idle, WOT is pure music, typical of the MagnaFlow design.
Any update on this setup or anyone else that did something similar. The dynomax I ordered that was "in stock" is apparently non-existent so I am back to the drawing board. Unless you guys have other opinions, I am thinking that none of the other available systems have good sound improvement, so I am leaning the custom direction. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Sdowdle541
Senior User
I went to my favorite muffler guy over the weekend. I was wanting a 14" magnaflow but he didn't have them in stock. Ended up just removing the small resonator and rear muffler and putting in a straight pipe. It still has the front big resonator then runs all the way out to factory behind tire. I like the sound and with factory tailpipe I don't have any drone that bothers me!

Old 04-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Long Haul
Elder User
*update*

I'm glad this thread got revived.

That Black Widow muffler I had installed in place of the factory muffler turned out to be a total POS.....Just had it replaced today.

A couple months after it was installed I noticed a buzzing sound coming from underneath the truck...I figured it was just a heat shield or something and didn't pay much attention to it....The buzzing turned into a rattle then what I would describe as a clanking sound..Turns out a baffle/chamber or whatever is inside the muffler broke loose....About a week ago the truck not only had the clanking sound it also go louder....Underneath the outlet (back side) of the muffler was a hole where it just rotted out...

Today I had local muffler shop install a 30 inch round muffler (3 inch in 3 inch out) I bought from Napa...So now I have the front resonator and the Napa muffler.....The truck is louder than stock but not as loud as a cat back system...I don't plan on keeping the truck much longer thus the Napa muffler.

For what I've spent on 2 mufflers and installation of both I'm just about into cat back money......live and learn I guess !

IMO don't waste your money on Black Widow go with a proven name brand instead..

Last edited by Long Haul; 04-20-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Long Haul
Elder User
the muffler..

Quick Reply: 2011+ 6.2 Exhaust