Print Wikipost

2011+ 6.2 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:59 AM
99and04F150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Long Haul
I've put close to 7 hours hwy driving on mine in the last couple days, if it were any louder I don't know that I would like it......Its really close to being too loud.

still no vids (no time) I've been traveling to job interviews.
Hmmmm. If yours is loud I wonder what the Pro Venom is going to sound like on mine..... I wonder if I should have him leave the second resonator on....

Old 08-19-2015, 04:41 AM
99and04F150
Junior User
Got my truck back and I am really happy with the install. I did have him leave both resonators on the system. He installed the system in one piece, muffler and tailpipe w/tip just like the factory system so I can remove it all in one piece if need be. The small resonator before the muffler is clamped in so it can be removed and replaced with a piece of pipe.

I am not sure the system is loud enough..... It has a nice mellow tone at idle, a little gurgle when you feather it, and a decent tone when you jump on it. My wife made the comment that she hardly notices a difference and thinks I should drive it for a week and see if the resonator should go. I have only driven it like 1.5 miles so far so I'll report back after I get some miles on it. I am thinking I'll have him make up a pipe so I can switch the resonator in and out.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Jaysonwhalen
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not happy with my new muffler...

Originally Posted by 99and04F150
Got my truck back and I am really happy with the install. I did have him leave both resonators on the system. He installed the system in one piece, muffler and tailpipe w/tip just like the factory system so I can remove it all in one piece if need be. The small resonator before the muffler is clamped in so it can be removed and replaced with a piece of pipe.

I am not sure the system is loud enough..... It has a nice mellow tone at idle, a little gurgle when you feather it, and a decent tone when you jump on it. My wife made the comment that she hardly notices a difference and thinks I should drive it for a week and see if the resonator should go. I have only driven it like 1.5 miles so far so I'll report back after I get some miles on it. I am thinking I'll have him make up a pipe so I can switch the resonator in and out.
I just had a magnaflow put on, and also left both resonators on. (2015, f250 6.2) It sounds the exact same. Was debating taking the resonators off, the big or the small, or both and replacing with pipe. I just don't want it too loud. Has anyone done this? I haven't seen any other posts where anyone has done this. Worried it won't sound good or be too loud.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Crumm
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jaysonwhalen
I just had a magnaflow put on, and also left both resonators on. (2015, f250 6.2) It sounds the exact same. Was debating taking the resonators off, the big or the small, or both and replacing with pipe. I just don't want it too loud. Has anyone done this? I haven't seen any other posts where anyone has done this. Worried it won't sound good or be too loud.
I have Magnaflow cat-back system on my 2015. It includes Y pipe, muffler, 3-1/2" pipe and a 5" tip that replaces everything. It sounds great with a low rumble while not being too loud. All stainless steel looks good too. With the tuned cat-back I gained a noticeable gain in mpg too (like 2-3mpg).

Edit: I should add that I was only getting 8-9 mpg and am now running 11-12 mpg so it's still not a fuel miser. I did just make a 350 mile trip and got 14.2 which ain't bad for a 6.2 with 35" rubber.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:05 PM
99and04F150
Junior User
Mine is definitely louder and deeper, but nowhere near what I was expecting. I will be having the second resonator taken off in the coming weeks. Been distracted with finishing my garage for paint this weekend.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Jaysonwhalen
New User
Originally Posted by Crumm
I have Magnaflow cat-back system on my 2015. It includes Y pipe, muffler, 3-1/2" pipe and a 5" tip that replaces everything. It sounds great with a low rumble while not being too loud. All stainless steel looks good too. With the tuned cat-back I gained a noticeable gain in mpg too (like 2-3mpg).

Edit: I should add that I was only getting 8-9 mpg and am now running 11-12 mpg so it's still not a fuel miser. I did just make a 350 mile trip and got 14.2 which ain't bad for a 6.2 with 35" rubber.
So, just making sure I understand... I'm not smartest truck guy around You have a Y coming off the two CATS to a single 3.5" pipe, Removed the 2 resonators and the muffler in the back - which you replaced with the magnaflow? Is your magnaflow in the same place as the stock muffler?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Jaysonwhalen
New User
I'm just debating on taking both resonators off, or one or the other. I'm thinking if I take the big one off under the cabin of the truck it may be too loud in the cabin, and if I only take off the small one I would notice any difference. BUT, I think I'm just going on Thursday to just have both taken off, going with the Y from the cats with 3" straight back to the magnaflow... Hopefully I can still converse with my wife at highway speed while towing the travel trailer... even though I may enjoy not being able to hear her...

Old 09-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Crumm
Elder User
So, just making sure I understand... I'm not smartest truck guy around You have a Y coming off the two CATS to a single 3.5" pipe, Removed the 2 resonators and the muffler in the back - which you replaced with the magnaflow? Is your magnaflow in the same place as the stock muffler?
Yes it's all made by Magnaflow using stock hangers in the stock location. Search google images for Magnaflow 19174 and you will see a picture of my system. If you go to the Magnaflow website you can enter your vehicle information to see what the part number is for your truck. Different kits for different cab/bed configurations.

Many guys will now say omg $600 for a cat back system. I say why chop and hack a exhaust system onto a $50,000 truck just to save a few hundred and end up with a untuned improperly flowing exhaust. Bend locations, muffler placement and Y pipe design all effect performance. A complete system from a reputable manufacturer looks, sounds and performs much better than a system pieced together at bubbas discount muffler. I have did it both ways so I am speaking from a little experience. If you just want to make noise go with bubbas but if you want quality sound and performance go with a engineered system.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I've read a few remarks about de-catted trucks sounding bad but I feel I must post up to disagree. I love the sound, confirmed by many as well, and it's definetly not overboard and obnoxiously loud. No droning or increased cab noise, I mostly drive with the back window open in order to better hear it. I pull a three horse trailer regularly with it and don't find it over the top at all. You will throw cat codes if you're not tuned for it. The rest of my exhaust is stock.

I know many will be against running with no cats and if so definetly don't do it. I just wanted to post this up for people who might be reading through weighing their options. If I had the capability of getting a sound clip I'd try to but I've never posted more than pics to the Internet.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:04 PM
dirty1
Senior User
Crumm,

Can you please post a video or sound clip for me.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Crumm
Elder User
Originally Posted by dirty1
Crumm,

Can you please post a video or sound clip for me.
Hmmm the sound with my old gopro is lousy. Maybe I can duct tape my iPhone to the back bumper and hammer down.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:49 PM
dirty1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crumm
Hmmm the sound with my old gopro is lousy. Maybe I can duct tape my iPhone to the back bumper and hammer down.
Ha! That would be a sight to see. Don't worry about it. I just can not find a video clip that has a good sound bite.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Crumm
Elder User
Originally Posted by dirty1
Ha! That would be a sight to see. Don't worry about it. I just can not find a video clip that has a good sound bite.
Would that work ya think? Last time I went wheeling with go-pro the sound was like I was underwater so I know it won't work. Wonder if phone would be distorted?

Old 09-03-2015, 05:35 PM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
...even though I may enjoy not being able to hear her...

Old 09-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Jaysonwhalen
New User
Removing both Resonators!

Originally Posted by 99and04F150
Mine is definitely louder and deeper, but nowhere near what I was expecting. I will be having the second resonator taken off in the coming weeks. Been distracted with finishing my garage for paint this weekend.
Taking both them off now... kinda nervous...

Quick Reply: 2011+ 6.2 Exhaust