6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

dealers not dealing on 6.7's

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dealers not dealing on 6.7's

I have been talking to a couple dealers online about ordering a 2011 6.7 what I am offering is 10.5% off sticker with incentives applied after that. so basically invoice price less incentives. this formula has worked for a couple new toyotas and 2 new dodge trucks. but I am getting the cold shoulder no one is biting on the offer.

one dealer made up a "invoice" and they are figuring the base price of the truck 1k more than what the ford website says. I pointed this out and they say ford has disclaimers on its website saying see dealer for actual pricing. I don't buy that and I don't like games being played with me.

could the problem be that each dealer is only allotted a certain amount of 2011's at the moment and they view selling me a 2011 6.7 at a cut rate price not something they should not do, when they can sell their allotment to other people for alot more money??

my question is what is ford doing, why hasn't the flood gates opened up with these trucks, I am already looking at paying nearly 10k more for a new ford than I paid for my similarly equipped dodge back in '06. that is a wopping 30% more!!!!!! an even at that price I can't make a deal, the dealers want even more than that.

I am not buying until I get what I want, and with a lack of 2011's on the lots I suspect alot of people are buying elsewhere.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
they are making all they can, and selling all they make at sticker, and have a big backlog of orders... why should they deal with you?
I read the sales article in the USA Today end of last week.. it reported that SuperDuty was the top selling vehicle in July, 55,000.

(and there is a 38k unit backlog)..

yeh, times change, and prices go up..

next year this time, left over 11's (if any) will sell for discount.

sam

Old 08-17-2010, 11:28 AM
jonmacs22
Junior User
Your issue is simple, you're dealing with the online people. Worst possible way to get a deal or negotiate.

Go to the largest truck dealer within 50 miles of your home. Take your wife/partner/friend/etc with you. Go for a couple test drives of various style 6.7's they have on the lot. Have your wife/partner/etc play bad cop by talking about she likes the interior of the Chevy more, how they were offering much better pricing, etc etc. Basically make a list ahead of time of things she will NOT like about the Ford. Make sure she is quietly saying it with the sales person near.

After all of this, make sure there is a truck ON THE LOT you are willing to buy. Then negotiate on that one.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:32 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
I think the reason why the superduty sold so well in july was because of all the 2010's being cleared out. 2011's in my area are nearly as rare as rocking chair doo doo, there just isn't that many around, no dealer in my area has more than a handful on their lots, some don't have any, another thing is look at the order/delivery thread right here, there has been guys getting their ordered trucks in about 5 weeks recently.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:01 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my 2011 from the dealer in Blair, Nebraska. They claim to be the largest F Series dealer in the country. I just looked at their online inventory. Total of all 6.7 diesels in stock is 162. They have 94 2010 6.4 trucks listed.I was concerned about buying a truck 800 mles from home but I am very satisfied with my treatment there.

Regards

Old 08-17-2010, 12:16 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
I bought my 2011 from the dealer in Blair, Nebraska. They claim to be the largest F Series dealer in the country. I just looked at their online inventory. Total of all 6.7 diesels in stock is 162. They have 94 2010 6.4 trucks listed.I was concerned about buying a truck 800 mles from home but I am very satisfied with my treatment there.

Regards
but.. do you believe you got a discount from the sticker, in a non-plan (X plan for instance) sale..

He wants a discount on 11's...

Sam

Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I watched them work with other customers but do not know where their prices ended up. Debbie's dad was an engineer for Ford for 35 years and we can use his z plan. Anyone who wants an x plan can get one after 30 days of membership in the Experimental Aircraft Association(EAA). The cost is $40 to join. You get a monthly aircraft magazine that is quite nice. I know one guy here joined right after he ordered his new truck. He figures it will take at least 30 days before it gets to the dealer.

Regards

Old 08-17-2010, 12:44 PM
frt2599
Senior User
It's simple economics.... Supply and Demand....

Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM
jonmacs22
Junior User
Originally Posted by frt2599
It's simple economics.... Supply and Demand....
You're are forgetting a bunch of other economic factors in your "model." One of the most important ones being location. There are many areas of our great nation which are in horrible economic condition. Not surprisingly the car dealers in those areas are suffering just as much. Those dealers will absolutely negotiate on any truck on the lot in order to make a deal. Remember that keeping a $50k truck on the lot costs a dealer a ton in interest payments.

Look around, do your research, be willing to travel a little. My most recent car was purchased 4.5hrs from my house. I flew there and picked it up. It was from a dealer outside of Pittsburg. Why did I fly there ($75 ticket on Southwest Airlines), because they needed the sale and wanted to move a $55k car off their lot.

Sure it takes a bit of your time to make the calls, find a reasonable sales guys, see who has inventory on the net, etc etc, but if it means saving $3k, I'll do it.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:53 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I do believe that FORD counts sales, as they receive orders. A back up of shipping allows the order book to increase, and sales to increase. Perhaps an oversimplification, but my investigation is showing very few 2011's in the southern region.

HOWEVER, I see mountains of 2010 -- 6.4's to be sold. The American auto industry knows how to balance their book. Like the old sci fi series X - Files, TRUST NO ONE!

Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got mine for $300 over invoice. Saw the invoice myself that had z, x plan pricing, shipping weight, etc....Come to Greenwood, SC and I'll go with you. 10% off sticker sounds about right.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I got mine for $300 over invoice. Saw the invoice myself that had z, x plan pricing, shipping weight, etc....Come to Greenwood, SC and I'll go with you. 10% off sticker sounds about right.
I just checked George Ballentine's web site and could find -0- F-350 vehicles listed. Am I missing something?

Old 08-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Champ198
Elder User
The Chevy, GMC, and Ford dealers in my area are all happy to tell you (and show you) the invoice price when you are dealing. On these trucks, there is enough holdback to help the dealers . For Ford, dealers are happy to take X-plan (or A or Z plan for that matter). The dealer will make some money on your trade and if you finance through the dealer (dealer reserve), so there is plenty of profit built into the deal.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:32 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
rmosso1, yep that's correct. No 350's right now that I know of. They have 3 or 4 250's. One of them is a gasser, I think.

sorry if I misled, I should have specified.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:06 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Can someone explain what x plan, z plan, etc is? New terminology to me.

Quick Reply: dealers not dealing on 6.7's