1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

gas tank on 51??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas tank on 51??

Im now thinking about fuel tank options. I cannot use the cab tank because of modern seats. I was thinking about using my panel tank, but I want to run duals and It would make everything close. I also thought about the tank in the rear, but I want a spare.. Any thoughts??

Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what about the chevy saddle tanks that run down one side, do they leave room for the duals?

Have you seen Julies modified fender on her '51 that allows for a spare tire on the side of the bed? It's pretty slick, but not original, so if that bothers you...

Old 08-16-2010, 11:04 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
I am not familiar with the chevy tanks. Can you give me a link of a picture of one? Also I dont want to do the spare on the bed, because I do not want to do that much body work........

Old 08-16-2010, 11:59 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
You can still run dual exhaust with the panel tank. You just have to crossover the left side pipe to the right, and either have them both exit together on the right or jog it back to the left side for split exiting. A little more bending, but definitely do-able.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:05 AM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by fifty-two_f1
I am not familiar with the chevy tanks. Can you give me a link of a picture of one? Also I dont want to do the spare on the bed, because I do not want to do that much body work........
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...in-a-52-a.html

see post #11

Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The Chevy saddle tanks hung on the outside of the framerail behind the lower bedsides. These were the ones that some TV network got in trouble over 15 years ago for faking explosions when they were T-boned. There's not going to be nearly enough room between the frame rail and the running boards to stuff a tank like that in there. It's a good thought, though. A tank that fits inboard of the framerail similar to later model Ford trucks and Rangers might work out, but would present the exact same exhaust challenges that an original panel tank would. I think that your best bet would be a tank in the rear of the frame. There are lots of designs available. With a little scrounging, I think you could find one that is flat on the bottom with a low enough profile to permit mounting a spare underneath of it. The early Mustang tanks seem to be the most popular.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Bob Jones has a great picture of the diversion of the dual exhaust around the Panel Tank. Maybe he will post it, if not I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit note: FOUND IT! Post # 7 of the thread link below...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...rame-info.html

Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 AM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Well, Is there an option to put in a mustang tank and NOT put the fill tube through the bed?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:28 AM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Here's another idea if your modern seats will allow, I found it in Julie's link.

"I just finished installing a 1970 Mustang tank in my F1, as documented in this article. You do lose the ability to mount a spare tire underneath the rear of the truck, but with all the room I gained behind the seat, I can carry a small 12V air compressor and a tire plug kit. I can't tell you the last time I actually used a spare tire, but I plug tires regularly."

Old 08-17-2010, 10:45 AM
MP&C
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 AM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by lvin4jc33
Here's another idea if your modern seats will allow, I found it in Julie's link.

"I just finished installing a 1970 Mustang tank in my F1, as documented in this article. You do lose the ability to mount a spare tire underneath the rear of the truck, but with all the room I gained behind the seat, I can carry a small 12V air compressor and a tire plug kit. I can't tell you the last time I actually used a spare tire, but I plug tires regularly."

That works until you have a total blowout. That is my kind of luck also!!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Let me see if I'm following the conversation correctly: you want to remove the gas tank from the cab, keep your dual exhaust and keep your spare tire in a stock location, right?

Hmmmm, well, you could do that by installing a panel tank and modifying the filler, or, you could put in the mustang tank and mount your spare on the bedside (either inside or outside the bed). They were not factory built, but there were a number of dealer installed aftermarket spare tire carriers installed on the Economy Builts. I put this one on mine because I'm not real crazy about crawling around on the ground to get the
spare out or beig exposed to traffic (which is what I put mine on the passenger side).

Interesting conversation....here's a picture of my install just as food for thought:

Name:  P1 April 2010.JPG
Views: 1112
Size:  202.0 KB

Name:  A12B Spare Tiire Carrier Dress up and Cadillac Plate.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  49.0 KB

You don't have to indent the fender btw, there's enough room to mount the carrier a dash farther forward and the spare will fit with the stock fender. I did mine just cause! I kept the piece I cut out by the way and made it so I could "cap" the indent when the tire wasn't on the carrier - so it doesn't look ugly when the tire isn't there.

There is a tire carrier that mounts in close ot th esame position, but INSIDE the bed and the tire sits close to the bed floor.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:26 AM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
thanks for the pictures! the horse is quite interested in the mounting of the tire also!! But can I do the mustang tank without having the filler in the bed?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
can I do the mustang tank without having the filler in the bed?
Depends on how handy you are with fabrication. You are limited only by your talent and imagination. Obviously, the stock Mustang filler location is right on top of the tank. You can weld that shut and cut a hole anywhere it will work for your application. You just have to make sure your welding skills are good enough to completely seal your welds so you don't have leaks. You also don't want to do any of these things with a used tank. ;-)

Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM
MP&C
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, Is there an option to put in a mustang tank and NOT put the fill tube through the bed?

This picture is from my link in post 10 above, when we were looking at the location for the filler neck, we also contemplated coming out the rear under the tailgate, but thought that option would be too susceptible to gas leaking out the back.

Where this does look like the filler neck is up in the air quite a bit, once the crossmembers and floor went in, the Chrome fuel cap she used sits about flush with the top of the wood floor. Another option, although it may interfere with the length of the bumper bracket and location of tank support, you could use some aluminized exhaust tubing to make a fill pipe travelling across like so (also would require a sleeve to travel through the frame) rotated toward the gas fill (sorry for my rough drawing) and about a 90 degree "prebent" hose to join the two....:

Quick Reply: gas tank on 51??