1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Woodward Dream Cruise in the '55

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 AM
scottjo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woodward Dream Cruise in the '55

So its been a Long time since I've been on here, and I was always more of a Lurker than a poster. Life has been busy, and has seen me move From Iowa to Ohio, get an engineering job, buy a house, and build a barn, and the '55 has followed me here thru it all like a shadow.

I'm currently around 180 miles 1-way from this Dream Cruise and never have gone to it. I'm tossing around the idea of getting the truck out of the garage, dusting it off, lubeing it up, and taking it for a Long Weekend drive and blow out the carbon in the orig Y-Block and get shook up by the F-250 suspension. I've only had it out for around 80 total miles this year, and feel guilty about that, but I've been busy with other projects. Its not a show truck by any means, because there are a few things left to do to it but it can hold its own.

I guess I was wondering who has gone to this before or if anyone here is going this year? Can you just drive on down the street or do you have to register?

Saw this on their site....WOW!

"Today, the Woodward Dream Cruise is the world’s largest one-day automotive event, drawing 1.5 million people and 40,000 classic cars each year"

Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scottjo
So its been a Long time since I've been on here, and I was always more of a Lurker than a poster. Life has been busy, and has seen me move From Iowa to Ohio, get an engineering job, buy a house, and build a barn, and the '55 has followed me here thru it all like a shadow.

I'm currently around 180 miles 1-way from this Dream Cruise and never have gone to it. I'm tossing around the idea of getting the truck out of the garage, dusting it off, lubeing it up, and taking it for a Long Weekend drive and blow out the carbon in the orig Y-Block and get shook up by the F-250 suspension. I've only had it out for around 80 total miles this year, and feel guilty about that, but I've been busy with other projects. Its not a show truck by any means, because there are a few things left to do to it but it can hold its own.

I guess I was wondering who has gone to this before or if anyone here is going this year? Can you just drive on down the street or do you have to register?

Saw this on their site....WOW!

"Today, the Woodward Dream Cruise is the world’s largest one-day automotive event, drawing 1.5 million people and 40,000 classic cars each year"
I have gone the last 3 yrs.. spent 20 yrs in Detroit.
took my green truck last yr.. (1350 miles one way from texas).. My Daughter works near the top end of the loop,
I am not happy about not going this year.. just too much going on..

I had heat problems last yr, bad thermostat and faulty alternator.. but this is the fan, cooling, a/c test area.. hot and bumper to bumper..

now about the cruise..

friday night is less crowded, so you get more cruise time.. til 10pm. but still packed.

Not many trucks.. Detroit is really about cars in the city.
but you find out where are the muscle cars are.. hiding in everyones garage, waiting for the 3rd weekend in August to get out.. 35,000 cars, a million people, bumper to bumper 19 miles, 3 lanes in each direction, and parked along the side of the road too..

attached is a pic of the truck on the side of the road parking at 13 & woodward last year

its about an hour and half to make half the loop..

last year it was 92 and humid. felt like 105!..

but its a blast, and you'll see everything.. and LOTS of muscle cars.. in GREAT condition..

if was only 200 miles away.. wow!..

GM was there with the caramo early, pics attached
(rained that yr)

Sam

Attached Images    
Old 08-16-2010, 02:57 PM
fking1
Elder User
Registration not needed. Just drive up & down Woodward.
Warning, takes an hour to go a half mile or so..
I have sat in traffic and hour and bailed. Best to park somewhere and watch.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 AM
scottjo
Senior User
sdetweil - That is an Awesome truck, when I do my next Truck that will be the route I go, not bone stock. Something that is more pleasent to ride in, only I'll be looking at doing a '40 F-1, Got a couple CJ-7s and a Mustang in line first though.

fking1 - thanks for the info, If I do it, we will be going early in the morning hopefully before it gets Toooo packed, but I agree, if I end up just sitting there and not moving I'd prolly bail too.

So hopefully you'll see a Blue F250 cruising slowly with a few dudes in the back end recovering from a Fri night Bachelor party.