Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Postmaster

oreocreaming is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffthePunkz View Post
Are you referring to the cross pattern holes under the F250/350 decals like this one?

Click the image to open in full size.
yep. thats them. ugly! i dont know what i dislike more, those or stacks!
1990 F-350 LARIAT 4x4 7.3L IDI diesel ZF5. 1992 front with cowl induction hood, 1997 doors and tailgate. 2004 6.0l intercooler, PSD heated power and signal mirrors. AMSOIL bypass system, full synthetic system. 5.38's, 46" tires, 20" wheels, 12" lift with shackle reversal front, shackle flip rear. Ladder bars in the rear, 2" hydraulic assist steering, hydroboost brakes, onboard dual compressor air system. twin air horns, black interior, 100 gallon in-bed tank. 94 IDI-T motor, SMF conversion.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Posting Guru

Rick Wallace is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Man,those look good! I wonder what they would look like on my 86?????? {idear workin in my head...}
Old 09-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Postmaster

they would look as good as they do on the 08
1990 F-350 LARIAT 4x4 7.3L IDI diesel ZF5. 1992 front with cowl induction hood, 1997 doors and tailgate. 2004 6.0l intercooler, PSD heated power and signal mirrors. AMSOIL bypass system, full synthetic system. 5.38's, 46" tires, 20" wheels, 12" lift with shackle reversal front, shackle flip rear. Ladder bars in the rear, 2" hydraulic assist steering, hydroboost brakes, onboard dual compressor air system. twin air horns, black interior, 100 gallon in-bed tank. 94 IDI-T motor, SMF conversion.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Posting Guru

You just aint got good taste......
Old 09-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Posting Guru

SnuffthePunkz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Wallace View Post
Man,those look good! I wonder what they would look like on my 86?????? {idear workin in my head...}
Haha I love them too, I've been thinking about how to add one to my 92, as well.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Postmaster

rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.
if i was to do something like that i would be cutting a hole there and putting that over the hole then running my intake tube to it
Old 09-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupejosh View Post
if i was to do something like that i would be cutting a hole there and putting that over the hole then running my intake tube to it
Perzactly my thoughts...............
Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Posting Guru

SnuffthePunkz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Wallace View Post
If he is thinking like I am,when the engine is running it sucks air like a vacum cleaner...You sure it wont suck the water/mist in ? Especially at higher RPMs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffthePunkz View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking, we had rain so bad that it fried the fuse box on the family F150, and that was with the hood closed, and the rubber weather seal in place.
Any input on this concern? As I'm very interested in putting some sort of air intake on my truck, and a ram-air mod, seems more trouble than benefit in my climate.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Im thinkin one on each side,, yall think that would be to much air?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
if you check the banks setup, it sucks cold air from there.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Freshman User

ajgoldsmith is starting off with a positive reputation.
There's a lot of information on the web about high pressure areas that can feed an intake - here's one article that's pretty interesting and a good way to test.

Browser Warning

Basically, yes the front grill area is generally a high pressure area and so is the cowl area. If we were to site our intakes as close to the center of the grill that is actually the highest pressure air. I'm not really big on cutting that area and that's why I'm thinking cowl. There's another article on autospeed I think about tufting the body of the car. From what I remember the location of those fender intakes is not a smooth air area and while it might be a convenient and cool looking way to do it, might not be the most efficient. I did think about that, and also thought maybe adding a scoop intake with a naca duct near the center front of the hood. The design is to scoop air and it would be a 4" straight, short shot into the intake. I believe this would be the most efficient way to get cold air into the intake. And if I can find a scoop in the junkyard and fab it into the hood it would be one of the best designs but I'm not sure I want that hanging off the front of my truck. I may try and test using that air pressure switch. The cowl is the least intrusive while providing the most air flow.

Someone on this thread asked about adding a second hose to their NA air cleaner. In race cars I've seen it done where you just cut an hole into the side, and rivet an aluminum flange from the inside. Easy way to get more air into a stock cleaner which is important for racing rules.

Just thinking out loud, any other ideas are appreciated.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
thats a cool (no pun intended) cheap test!
someone should test the vehicles speeds of ram air and cowl induction for our rigs.

that's a great article ajgoldsmith!

of course we need to understand their test car vs our trucks aerodynamics.its not surprising to see their cowl is low pressure.

looks like your browser gave that site a warning?
anyway,all seems good using firefox here.
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_1023/article.html
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 01-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Junior User

vervepipes is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like the idea and thought of the snow/ice problem as well. My solution would be to switch back to the stock style intake for the winter, especially since slow and steady is the name of the game here where they clear the roads once during the year in the spring to make the roads dry faster, otherwise all winter the road is a thick sheet of ice, and mpg doesnt matter this time of year either since the truck needs to idle half an hour before it's warm enough to drive.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
that's what i had planned.but iv found it not to be an issue at all.
simply wipe the snow off hood/windshield like always,and nothing really falls into the cowl holes.iv been running it hooked up all winter so far.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Elder User

Scratcher is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm still not convinced that water isn't going to get into the intake using the cowl in the event of the drain holes becoming blocking with dirt and debris. Isn't their even the slightest risk of water collecting in this area and getting sucked into the intake?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 PM