Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Senior User

CdnWillyG is starting off with a positive reputation.
F100 Drip rail removal

Went to a car show today and saw a 54 Merc F100 with its drip rails removed...must have this on my truck!
Click the image to open in full size.
Any cautions, tips, or advice on how to get this done? I have been told it could cause major grief if not done right.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
do it slow.. one section at a time.. cut, weld closed,
cut, weld closed.. repeat.. 2-3 inches at a time.

removed on my 55.

note to self, round the top front corner of the door and cab to match

no other closeups

you have to fill and make the edge to match the cab lip

Sam
Attached Images

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
I suppose you were probably told correct. The drip rail is one of several pieces of metal sandwiched and spot welded together around the perimiter of the roof skin and the inner structure. Seam sealer is layed in the trough to keep moisture from entering the "sandwich." Removing the drip rail leaves an open gap that needs to be sealed shut by continuous welding all around the cab. It's a lot of work of welding and grinding and filling and smoothing. But the end results, as you've noticed, are quite striking.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Senior User

Sam, as you cut and welded the 2-3" openings do you jump around the drip rail(opposite ends for example), like when you weld up a seam or can you go in a continuous line? When you said you have to make the edge match the cab lip, is that the part from the roof skin to the window raised part? On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is it, if lets say filling up the back roof seam and getting it straight is a 3?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
yes, you have to move around, sheet metal is sheet metal.. same rules apply.. hard part is when you get closer to the middle..

I'd say this is an 8..

yes, the part from the back edge of the door, over the door and around the front of the cab.. the back edge is easy, and over the door is pretty easy as the drip rail sits right at this line.. but on the front, there is no ridge, u have to form it yourself.
you can see the ridge in the second photo over the door edge.. but over the windshield once you cut out the drip rail it gets flat, so that ridge disappears and looks weird

I have a pic of a 54 from GoodGuys Tx that had a shaved rail and it was just flat here.. can't find it at the moment..

Sam
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Senior User

whateg01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This came up in a discussion at work the other day... I'm thinking of shaving the drip rail on my project truck because it is in pretty bad shape and will probably need to be reconstructed if I don't. But when you shave the drip rail, do you have to do anything extra to keep the weather from entering the cab around the top of the door?

Dave
Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateg01 View Post
This came up in a discussion at work the other day... I'm thinking of shaving the drip rail on my project truck because it is in pretty bad shape and will probably need to be reconstructed if I don't. But when you shave the drip rail, do you have to do anything extra to keep the weather from entering the cab around the top of the door?

Dave
Don't drive in bad weather???

(serious answer) Make sure to adjust the door so the weather stripping actually seals. Test with a sheet of printer paper closed in the door. I agree with the note to self: rounding the upper front corner of the door should be part of the process.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:

Dave
no..

thats one of the reasons you need that ridge continued, water deflection..

but as AX said, the door gasket will need to work here..

Sam

Old 08-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Senior User

whateg01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok. That was kinda what I had guessed, but having never done one like this, wasn't sure. IMHO, it seems like for a vehicle that might get driven in the rain occasionally, it would be ok to shave the drip rails, but for a vehicle that gets driven daily, sometimes in heavy rain, it might be better not to tempt fate and just leave the drip rails in place. Now I gotta think this over a bit...

Dave
Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Senior User

Sam, in building the front cab ridge to match the door ridge, what did you do? If this is made out of metal how did you build it?
I would like to see the pic without the ridge as I didn't realize that this was not the result of just cutting the drip rail off.
Not sure I have the tools or the ability to take that on!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Ok. That was kinda what I had guessed, but having never done one like this, wasn't sure. IMHO, it seems like for a vehicle that might get driven in the rain occasionally, it would be ok to shave the drip rails, but for a vehicle that gets driven daily, sometimes in heavy rain, it might be better not to tempt fate and just leave the drip rails in place. Now I gotta think this over a bit...

Dave
yes, mine is a show truck.. not a daily driver

had its first rain experience last month at Pigeon Forge..

there is a seam at the top front of the door, on the body side.. I did not have the door gasket right, and the water flowed in there.. still have to fix that, but am going to put on the hollow core gaskets (when its cool enough to go out in the shop again)

Sam

Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnWillyG View Post
Sam, in building the front cab ridge to match the door ridge, what did you do? If this is made out of metal how did you build it?
I would like to see the pic without the ridge as I didn't realize that this was not the result of just cutting the drip rail off.
Not sure I have the tools or the ability to take that on!
I don't have a pic of the front with just the drip rail shaved off.
I am disappointed about that.

I will take some pics of my 54 cab in the shop (still with drip rail) probably tomorrow

Sam

Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Senior User

Sam forget my earlier question but....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
do it slow.. one section at a time.. cut, weld closed,
cut, weld closed.. repeat.. 2-3 inches at a time.

removed on my 55.

note to self, round the top front corner of the door and cab to match

no other closeups

you have to fill and make the edge to match the cab lip

Sam
What are you meaning about your comment "you have to fill and make the edge to match the cab lip"? Is this about rounding of the door corner and then making the lip match that?
After looking at the drip rail on my truck that raised ridge is there all across the front of the cab, which will remain once the drip rail is cut off. I don't think this will be that big a deal!
Innocents and no experience maybe coming out here!!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Post Fiend

hm.. as I recall (now 3 yrs back) the ridge over the cab didn't look the same when we took off the rail.. as the ridge over the door.. and we have to do some work to get it all to look the same..

the corner of the door is another problem, just that the picture brought it up..

Sam

Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Elder User

e william is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm a fan of the shaved rail as well...just wish I had choped it too...maybe next time! This is a pic just after paint shop, shows the side and rear cab seam filled as well, gives it a smooth oldie look.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 PM