1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New IFS Interest...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New IFS Interest...

Hello friends again...

Today I ran into a dilemma and am reaching out to you for your expertise.

I am contemplating an IFS & IRS for my 56 (so much for keeping it stock but I really would like it to drive / handle like a new vehicle).

So when thinking about this, I think that when one upgrades to IFS/IRS there is a host of other things that "naturally" need or should be changed as well and instead of being blindsided by the unexpected, I am reaching out to you my friends for your experience.

So it goes like this... If I upgrade to IFS do I need to look at a new/different steering column? new different master brake cylinder? new different power steering components and there is where I get so overwhelmed that I start thinking... nah, let it be a 56 truck with 56 components...

Please please please, give me your .02 cents - or more if possible.

Paul

Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
OK Paul, here's my 2, maybe 3 cents, based on 35 years of car/truck building. You can decide what you think it's worth.

IRS is nice, but is not really necessary to have your truck handle like a newer vehicle. There's lots of fine handling cars, even those built today, that don't utilize IRS. It really depends on your budget and fabricating skills. If you can do it, and really want it, awesome. Go for it. But just understand you can have a fine driving and handling machine without the added expense and labor involved.

IFS is another matter. And for ease of assembly and modification, I will always recommend a MII-based kit from a quality manufacturer, like Heidts, TCI, and a few others. These fine folks have spent years engineering great working and handling kits that are easy to install, and provide you with all the necessary bits to put together a quality and safe truck. One that will also provide good resale value if and when that time arises. IMHO, this is one of the best ones out there. Heidts Hot Rod & Muscle Car Parts - HEIDTS Superide II Truck - Complete Package It's a huge step above the standard, lo-buck kits, but worth it.

You can use the original steering column if you want to retain the stock looking interior. It just takes a little bit of doing making a lower column floor mount, and modifying the end of the column with a shaft bearing after you cut it away from the old steering box. Most people want something more modern, adding tilt, turn signals, etc., and swap the column with something newer. Either will install with the special u-joints and shaft pieces made for that application.

For the brake master cylinder/power booster, the original won't work. You'll need one that will work with the new, front disc brakes that come with that pretty, new MII kit. The kits also have the option of going with manual or power rack and pinion steering. If you opt for power, there's the obvious pump you'll have to install on the engine, as well.

None of this stuff is hard, really. Lots of people have done it, so it's a well traveled path. But to do it right, it does take a few dollars and some welding/fabrication skills, or a friend with some. And there's plenty of people here to pick the brains from along the way if you get stuck or lost.

So there you go. Exact change only, please. No refunds.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Yeah,adding stuff like IFS has a few drawbacks. At least boxing the frame back to the cab mounts (mine is boxed almost to the back of the cab) upgrading the brake system and replacing the steering column (I guess you could keep the stock column if you add a floor mount, bearing and yoke to the bottom of it)
Just think of the upside of IFS though, better brakes, handling and usually power steering.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:26 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Thank you Jeff.

Wayne, you always come thru...
So, just those 2 itmes (brake master cylinder/power booster and the power rack and pinion steering?)
No other surprises?
Sounds dooable!

I'm going to give others a chance to chip in.

Paul

Old 08-05-2011, 07:41 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
There are a few of us that have done these Mods. Do a search here for IFS and IRS and you wil get some ideas. For me I did the Jag IFS and, due to availability, the Mark VIII IRS. Boxed frame, new steering and firewall brake master. It all depends on budget and your abilities. Best of luck on you decision.

Happiness: 3 pedals and a 5 speed.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You will also need to install new motor mounts, and depending on the rear suspension you choose possibly a driveshaft mod. Well worth it in the end though.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Thank you Chris...
The sad but honest truth is that I have already shortened the drive shaft Chris. If I end up investing in the time and money for the IFS upgrade - which I probably will - I'm certain I can come up with another one, though I hope I don't need to.
Paul

Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the IFS effecting it at all, but you also mentioned the rear suspension. That "may" effect it.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:38 AM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wayne's got it right for sure. Just keep an open mind because for every modification you make, there are probably three more you'll have to do to make it work. I put an IFS on my 52, a MK II kit, well worth the effort. Go for it!