1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need Wiring HELP with 56 F100

Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Need Wiring HELP with 56 F100

I bought my truck in pieces and the previous owner had no problem cutting every wire that was in the way when he disassembled the truck.

I dont have a headlamp harness and plan on making my own. I need to know what wire does what? Here we have the wires heading out to the headlights and blikers. I see two green wires and one appears to have a very light stripe on it.

From left to right,

Green
Black
White
Red
Green with stripe?

Second problem, is at the voltage regulator.

I have a ring terminal and a capaciter. Should both of these be grounded to the voltage regulator?

Anyone have a wiring diagram for 56 F100's. Would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Old 08-14-2010, 05:58 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hope this may help

[/IMG]

Old 08-14-2010, 06:46 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Dynamic,in my never-so-humble opinion,the first thing you should buy for your truck is the factory shop manual.Jack's given you a good start,and there's another guy here abouts that has a lot of wiring diagrams.He'll probably be around shortly.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
,and there's another guy here abouts that has a lot of wiring diagrams.He'll probably be around shortly.
He,he heh.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
Dynamic,in my never-so-humble opinion,the first thing you should buy for your truck is the factory shop manual.Jack's given you a good start,and there's another guy here abouts that has a lot of wiring diagrams.He'll probably be around shortly.
Originally Posted by Old F1
He,he heh.
Unfortunately, the shop manual and drawing above are going to be your best bet.

DRWTP3/4

Old 08-15-2010, 01:25 AM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can either try to fix what you have or go with a new wiring harness. My wiring worked but it was such a mess that I decided instead of trying to straighten it up it would just be easier to replace it, at least then I know all the wires are good and going to the right place on the truck...

Old 08-15-2010, 03:00 AM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts
I know one thing: The headlights normal beams are either the red or green, and the brights are the other of the two. they split in two going to each headlight.

The parking lamps are a black with split in two going to each parking lamp.

Blinkers I am not so sure since my wiring isn't the original. I think they are other shades of green rather than the darker green of the headlight wire.

This is all from memory; use a wiring diagram made available by one of the god-sends above.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:31 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Ok so here is what I found, From left to right,

Green - left blinker
Black - markers
White - right blinkers
Red - headlight
Green with stripe? headlight

I can only assume the ring terminal and capaciter should be grounded as no one chimmed in on it.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Well, your colors aren't the OEM colors, but close (there's no black on the OEM wiring, parking lights would be blue w/yellow marker). Green with the stripe is probably "High Beams" and the Red is "Low beams." Look at you high beam switch to see if those two colors are connected there.

The capaciter doesn't normally go there at all. It was probably added on by someone trying to reduce generator "whine" on their radio. Where does the other end of the purple wire (with the ring terminal) go? If it attaches to the generator anywhere EXCEPT the "A" stud or the "F" stud (there should be wires on those two already connecting to the corresponding "ARM" or "FLD" tabs [respectively] on the regulator), then it is a ground wire.

If so, loosten one of your regulator mounting screws and screw it down between the regulator and fender (or firewall depending on where yous is mounted).

Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
The capacitor is in the factory location, so I'm guessing your truck has or had the original round radio? And yes the ground lug is connected to the inner fender thru the regulator mounting screw

Old 08-18-2010, 02:06 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Any capacitor to reduce generator whine would have to be mounted there-that's where it has to be to do the job - so this doesn't necessarily mean it's factory or OEM. If the radio was installed at the dealer or an aftermarket outlet and there was generator noise this would have been the fix as well. It looks like this one hasn't been grounded in quite awhile!

And that's still true of your modern radio installations today. But most "filters" are installed in the antenna cable.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:11 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by dynamic

I can only assume the ring terminal and capaciter should be grounded as no one chimmed in on it.

Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
The capacitor is in the factory location, so I'm guessing your truck has or had the original round radio? And yes the ground lug is connected to the inner fender thru the regulator mounting screw

Man I wish I had the factory installed round radio! That would Be cool!

I do however have what looks to be a oem Antenna base installed on the drivers side cowl.I do not have an antenna mast for it!!

Their is no radio in the truck, nor does it have any holes in the dash or wiring that would make me think a radio was ever mounted! The dash even has the same coloring as the rest of the interior which makes me think the dash was the original.

But who knows what has happened over the years?!?!

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Any capacitor to reduce generator whine would have to be mounted there-that's where it has to be to do the job - so this doesn't necessarily mean it's factory or OEM. If the radio was installed at the dealer or an aftermarket outlet and there was generator noise this would have been the fix as well. It looks like this one hasn't been grounded in quite awhile!

And that's still true of your modern radio installations today. But most "filters" are installed in the antenna cable.
The capacitor has not been grounded in quite a while. The truck has been sitting for quite some time. I bough it in pieces around 5 years ago and the PO bought it a few years before that and started removing parts to restore, but lost interest.

All I know is that I want to put everything the way it should be. The Inner fenders I ended up with are the sheet metal variety, but I bought them for 1/4 of what they were being sold for in the catalogs. So I was able to just bolt the voltage regulator where ever I felt like drilling two holes. When you have all the original parts you can usually see the patina as to where stuff went, but when your parting something together you never really know.

For example, I new that I was missing something under the hood but couldnt figure out what it was. I could see an outline on the radiator support/fenders but didnt know as this is my first 56 F100. Did some searching online and found that the Support rods that come from the Firewall to the front fenders was missing the brackets that bolt to on the fenders. Now I have to find some of those.

It never ends... all the little stuff will drive you MAD!!!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
You can probably take that condenser off then. It may have been built at the factory to install one (as Kevin mentioned) but they never did it. Alot (if not most) of that type of thing was installed by the dealers.

Yep there's always that "one last part." Good luck getting to the end of that list!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:55 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Also, The pic shows the antenna on the drivers side cowl. The original dealer antenna installation instructions show it being put on the pass side cowl.

Now I'd say none of its factory.........

Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM
thechassisman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Kevin How's it going ? I was looking for posts on stock antenna location for my 55 before I paint it. It had a hole that has been welded shut. Do you have the pattern, or measurements for it? Thanks, Mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Wiring HELP with 56 F100