Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Senior User

'02strokerpilot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy Transmission slipping

Hey fellas, I have noticed a transmission slippage recently here's how it works:

in reverse, on a hill backing up the more pedal I give my truck the less power it is putting to the ground, almost like an e-brake is kicking on, more rpm's = less power? wtf?

in drive, heavy acceleration off the line it seems like the tranny isn't locking into gear, the truck moves but not like it used to, no "push you back in the seat" that it used to have. it is not as notieable in drive as it is in reverse. I could barely back out of my favorite fishing hole yesterday, Bull#!*%. I put a john wood VB in last fall and got the dp tuner right after that. I haven't been running any tunes lately just in case i have a real tranny issue, but its noticeable in stock mode too.

I searched forums and found one kinda similar, one guy suggested maybe his tranny filter was loose and letting air by? should I pull the pan and check to see if this is the case?

ps, no shuddering or anything, no squealing.

Thanks a ton guys!

Last edited by '02strokerpilot; 08-14-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: additional text
Old 08-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
Well, you could drop the pan to at least check first, but if it is shot and you feel he gears and bands are ok, you could have a shop (or yourself) put a new triple clutch TC in place of the cheap stock single clutch TC. If you need a whole new tranny, I would go with either John Woods, BTS, or in a pinch Ford sells a "heavy duty" 4r100 with a triple disc TC and strengthed internals for about $3000, and it comes with a 100k warantee to boot. You didn't say your mileage, but with regular towing and a heavy foot, these trannys usually aren't good past 150k miles (on average). Hell, I'm on my 3rd, the second one rebuilt by Midas or meineke (whoever the hell does trannys) only lasted 32k before my dumbazz blew it up LOL.....
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 08-14-2010, 04:40 PM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Like Danny said, I would drop the pan and check the filter. It sounds like you are having low line pressure problems. A gauge connected to the line pressure test port on the left side of the trans would verify this.
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear ...SOLD...
Old 08-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Senior User

bobbyrjw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bobbyrjw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What about using AE to test it?

I think that I am starting to have too much slippage, also.

I don't have AE, but can AE be used to help determine slippage?
2000 F250 4x4 CrewCab, 7.3L PSD T-500 HPOP ,OEM HD 4R100, DP F-5 w/60E/80E/60T/Decel, EGT/Tranny Temp/Boost Gauges on Pod, Black CPS, MBRP 4" turbo back, 6637 and zoodad holes, 6.0 31Row Tranny Cooler, External Tranny Filter, Hutch/Harpoon with pre-pump filter, Oil Crossover, RiffRaff plenum inserts & IC Boots, RiffRaff CCV delete, RiffRaff AIH Delete, Wicked Wheel, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff Frx, Firestone Air Bags
Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrjw View Post
I think that I am starting to have too much slippage, also.

I don't have AE, but can AE be used to help determine slippage?
Yes. You can monitor trans slippage with an AE. You can monitor the rpm difference between the input and output shaft sensors. It is listed in your drop down menu for your live data meters. Once the TC locks, you should see zero rpm slippage in an ideal situation. I see 0 to max of 4 rpms with mine. With the TC unlocked, it is normal to see a larger rpm difference due to the design of the TC.
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear ...SOLD...
Old 08-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Senior User

jasonch is starting off with a positive reputation.
my TC is load, it rattles a ton. debating on rebuild or just driving it till its gone. the money pit is getting deeper. not sure if i will everf get out.

Jason
Old 08-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Sound like a tc for sure. These trans have weak reverse anyway. If you feel it in forward gear as well bite the bulet and put a trans in. You have a John Wood vb he usually credits you for that and will do the trans less that cost. Good luck, just don't get out on that road far or you may be sorry.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Senior User

hey thanks for the help guys, my neighbor friend owns a trans shop, gonna run it by and have him test the pressure, depending on the outcome i will pull the pan and check it out. thanks again, hey, another Q for ya... can i have a shorter reverse gear put in like 2.5:1 or 3:1 area??? I have an uncanny ability to get my nose places I can only back out of. thinking about a locker in the rear too, any brand suggestions or are they all good? thanks again! oh 142,000 mile btw lots of heavy towing and lots of drag racing, pay to play i spose, lol
Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Why not consider a dirt-cheap mod that enables you to have 2WD, lo-range?

That would be lo-range, reverse, too.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 08-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by '02strokerpilot View Post
can i have a shorter reverse gear put in like 2.5:1 or 3:1 area???
No. Due to the way planetary gear sets work you would have to replace all the gears. Designing a new gear set is not an easy job. Cutting custom gears literally costs in the millions of dollars.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Senior User

figured out my problem!!! My neighbor is a trans shop owner, he did some research for me and found that installing the accumulator body (improperly known as the valve body) from John Wood and not installing the full trans shift kit, the new accumulator body does not allow proper pressure in reverse to lock the torque converter, not slippage just no aftermarket "trick" spacer to accomodate the new accumulator body. makes me happy! now i am looking into the 2-low mod. this site kicks A%%!!!

thanks for the input guys!
Alex
Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1967, 2000, 73l, automatic, camouflage, diesel, excursion, f250, f350, ford, sliping, slipping, transmishon, transmission, truck