1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 PM
CT-Mike
Tuned
Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
After Market Backup Camera

So I have a 2010 F-250 SC, and I am looking to add a navigation system/backup camera to the truck. I have read too many stories about people backing over a toddler, and as our grandson lives with us, I want to take every precaution to make sure that doesn't happen.

So I am looking for input on replacing the stock radio/cd player with a navigation system/backup camera. I want it to look as close to stock as possible, not some cobbled together mishmash of parts.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 08-15-2010, 02:46 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry cant help, just wanted to say I am curious as well. I was wondering if they have some kinda radio replacement that is like an all in one stereo/dvd/gps/rear camera etc unit. Maybe also one that can display extra guages or even have virtual 'upfitter' switches. I hate having stuff mounted all over the place. It would be sweet to have all that in one unit.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:54 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
here is what I have done so far, and am using an aftermarket head unit for the display..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9026955

mine is an 08 Job 1, before the backup camera wiring.. yours miht have it already..

I have recently seen the in mirror display, and its really small in my opinion. I have a 7in screen at the moment (the Peak wireless system from Sams Club).. and really like it..

I have now dragged more rca cable to the front and added manual power control to the rear.. waiting for the head unit to arrive.

I want the backup camera to work all the time too.. not just when I'm not lazy about dragging out the separate monitor now..
I have the 350, crew cab, long bed.. 22 ft is a LONG way back there..

See the end of that thread about an aftermarket mirror that has a bigger view window..

sam

Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 PM
CT-Mike
Tuned
Well I think I have decided to go with the Alpina INA-W900BT head unit and the Alpine camera. The camera is 15/16" square, and the plan is to cut a hole in the plastic flap above the hitch receiver and attach it there. Just need to scare up the $1000 necessary.

I do plan on talking to the dealer tomorrow to see what it would cost to get a SYNC system installed. If it is close in price I may go that route so that it looks stock.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:58 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco
Sorry cant help, just wanted to say I am curious as well. I was wondering if they have some kinda radio replacement that is like an all in one stereo/dvd/gps/rear camera etc unit. Maybe also one that can display extra guages or even have virtual 'upfitter' switches. I hate having stuff mounted all over the place. It would be sweet to have all that in one unit.
I was looking at Pioneer Avic-X910BT.. audio, gps, video, bluetooth, nav, IPOD, steering control, touch screen and camera support. seems to get decent ratings..

the first seller on EBAY really screwed me (and 100 others) over, never intending to ship.. (never buy from someone with < 500 sells if they purport to be a company)..

anyhow, have the money back, and now am looking at an offshore unit, which adds digital TV, for 1/2 the 910 price..and more like the 920 full screen double din, 7in.

last weekend I had the phone charger, gps and video monitor all out at the same time, and there are too many wires... ick..

Sam

we'll see..

Old 08-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Mr.RonGilbert
Freshman User
While this doesn't quite scratch the itch, I wanted the same thing on my 05' SD. I picked up one of the Kenwood all in one (DNX9960 is the most current version) and it was awesome. I just had to add the actual camera that mounted on the license plate - it was a cheap-o that I picked up off of ebay for about $40 and it worked great for the 4+ years that I had it. Make sure you get one that has night vision and it will be just fine IMO. The radio would switch to the rear cam when in reverse just like it was supposed to.

You might consider picking up one of the Sync systems that someone takes out of their newer Ford models, I have it in my 10' and am impressed, it does all I want and with the addition of the lockpick I can do even more.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 PM
CT-Mike
Tuned
What is lockpick?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Mr.RonGilbert
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CT-Mike
What is lockpick?
Unlocks everything that is blocked while the vehicle is moving (DVD, NAV etc..) plus allows multiple cameras. I want to add a rear cam to my toy hauler and will be able to toggle each camera even while under way.

FORD LOCKPICKS