Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Well, they're designed to never work loose, and they do that well. For as often as beds need to be pulled, I don't think its unreasonable for them to be one-time-use hardware. Ford does have them horrendously overpriced though.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Senior User

BioBurner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanea View Post
Well, they're designed to never work loose, and they do that well. For as often as beds need to be pulled, I don't think its unreasonable for them to be one-time-use hardware. Ford does have them horrendously overpriced though.
You speak the truth! I just paid $115 for 8 bolts and 6 nuts! OUCH! My bunger hurts.

My brother's truck: 01 Excursion 4x4 w/7.3, Edge, leveling kit, airbags under it's butt, DVD, and french fries mashed into the carpet.

My other brother's truck: 99 F350 EC LB 4x4 w/7.3, ZF 6-speed, fuzzy dice.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Posting Guru

2002 F350V10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Did the same swap, and broke a few bits also. The other problem arises when you get new clip nuts from ford , as they are untapped and when they are installed with an impact they self tap. After cutting the heads off, I cut the bolts short so they would unclip from the frame. Then while the clipnut was in a vise, I used heat from a cutting torch working with visegrips to eventually remove the clipnuts, but 2 were toast. A trip to a screw supply distributor determined the thread pitch is 9/16 coarse, so for the back 2 boltsI used regular nuts. My new bed came with bolts, since I had asked for them if available.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Posting Guru

ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy View Post
XTR sticker is new to me. Maybe a local dealer add-on?

Nice thread. Reps to you.
The XTR stickers are a Canadian branding, like the F150 Lobo down in Mexico. Maybe the previous owner liked the look of the sticker, or brought the truck down from there. You can order them through Ford if you want them.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Postmaster

1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold
Great writeup and pics. Thanks for sharing! Be sure to keep this thread going with the cab corner repair and anything else you do Reps on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanea View Post
The stuff I used is Aerokroil, best I've found.
x2 on the Kroil! That stuff is incredible.

Click - My Super Duty Tech Articles
1975 Baja Bronco Project
1984 Ranger 4x4 R.I.P Nov 2007
Old 08-13-2010, 10:41 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy77 View Post
I just went thru the same thing on my 05. Had to cut every single bolt off as well. Now would be a good time to paint frame rails as I did. Great write up!!
Was going to suggest the same thing...some POR 15 should fix that right up...
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 08-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Elder User

pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
We put anti seize on all the bed bolts as a matter of routine. FluidFilm on everything else. POR 15 on the frame.
'12 Transit Connect Java Van
I don't get muddy, don't get dusty, don't pull trailers, but do play in the snow and ice.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Senior User

The good camera broke just before the crew showed up to hoist the new bed on. I had to use my phone's camera for the rest of the pics.

I decided that since I'm going to have to pull the bed off again at painting time, I wouldn't do the POR15 right now. I'm going to wait until after I get a new door, and I pull the dent in the cab, because I'm going to pull the bed to paint it right.

So first off, I snapped all of the new nuts onto the frame rails:
Click the image to open in full size.

Then we set the new bed onto the frame. Then I got out the impact wrench to drive the new bolts into the nuts. I was very happy to have air tools for this job since the nuts dont have threads tapped into em. The bolts went in really rought the whole way:

Once all of the bolts were snugged up, I re-installed the fuel filler neck, which involved the 3 little sheet metal screws, and swapping over the gas cap:

Next up was plugging in the wires. OOPS! Someon chopped off the connector from the new bed! So out comes the solder iron to swap the connector off the old bed onto the new one:

Lastly, I swapped the tailgates, since the gate on the new bed was in worse shape than the old one (That's what I get for buying as cheap a bed as I can find):

Here she is in all of here mis-matched glory:

It didn't take the youngens very long to take over the old bed:

Quote:
The XTR stickers are a Canadian branding, like the F150 Lobo down in Mexico. Maybe the previous owner liked the look of the sticker, or brought the truck down from there. You can order them through Ford if you want them.
This truck was re-imported to the US from Canada, so that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info.

My brother's truck: 01 Excursion 4x4 w/7.3, Edge, leveling kit, airbags under it's butt, DVD, and french fries mashed into the carpet.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Posting Guru

Wagion has a very good reputation on FTE.Wagion has a very good reputation on FTE.Wagion has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you are going to take the bed back off to paint it why didn't you use regular bolts to hold it down then put the OEM bolts in when it is on there for good don't you think your going to run into the same problem when you go to take it off the second time?

Has anyone used bolts other than OEM to replace there bed? What did you use?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagion View Post
If you are going to take the bed back off to paint it why didn't you use regular bolts to hold it down then put the OEM bolts in when it is on there for good don't you think your going to run into the same problem when you go to take it off the second time?

Has anyone used bolts other than OEM to replace there bed? What did you use?
Good point. I'm probably going to have to spend another $115 on bolts when that point comes! Truth is, I thought of that, but the wife wanted her grocery-getter back for the weekend, so I was under a looming deadline.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 AM
Elder User

JockD has a good reputation on FTE.JockD has a good reputation on FTE.JockD has a good reputation on FTE.
The stock bed bolts are not regular Torx heads. They are Torx Plus TP45. You will notice that the regular Torx bits do not fit properly, which is one reason they break while trying to remove the bolts.

That said, I had no luck removing my bed bolts with the proper tool. The bolt heads started to strip out, so I cut them off with a cutoff wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder. I removed one by welding a large nut onto the head and using a powerful impact wrench, but that was more trouble than it was worth.

The stock bolts do indeed form their own threads. Google "Trilobular" for more information.
Jock - 2001 F250 Reg. cab 4X4, 7.3L with CCK, auto, 305,000 mi., homebrew pw and pdl, heated towing mirrors with a timer. Stahl Grand Challenger Utility Box, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Big Rear Sway Bar, Walker BTM + Resonator, headlight relay system with daytime running lights.

Honoring Robin Hurt - Payson PSD. Robin, we'll visit again when I catch up with you!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Posting Guru

jc8825 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jc8825 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBurner View Post
You speak the truth! I just paid $115 for 8 bolts and 6 nuts! OUCH! My bunger hurts.
A few years ago I had to buy the plastic clips that hold the front bumper on a Honda. It required 16 clips and ran around $120 and those were just plastic.
- Ron Paul
Old 08-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Elder User

Futuresweets-10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBurner View Post
Good point. I'm probably going to have to spend another $115 on bolts when that point comes! Truth is, I thought of that, but the wife wanted here grocery-getter back for the weekend, so I was under a looming deadline.

You probably will... I had a similar situation with mine. Bought a new bed, and bought new bed bolts.... Put it on and a week later messed the new bed up worse than the old one. Went to take the new bed back off and had to grind 3 or 4 of the new bolts off.

PICTURE REMOVED
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 PM
New User

O1SUPERDUTY is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anyone have part numbers for the bolts?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Posting Guru

2002 F350V10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
how many do you need? they are 2 lengths, from the front of the 8 foot bed to the rear, it goes, long ,long,short,long. I have some spares.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 PM