2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Champion 7989

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 PM
rodinator1234
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Champion 7989

For those of you who have replaced your plugs with the Champions, what are your reviews. Anyone have any signifiant mileage with those plugs? 50k? I'm debating on what to do. I don't have any problems now at 53k, but a plug change is on the horizion.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone that I have read about replacing them with these plugs has been extremely pleased with the outcome and performance of the plugs. Will be doing mine with them before too long.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:37 PM
tmuti13
Junior User
I've got 37K on mine and no problems.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:06 PM
iilijah
Junior User
I went ahead and just replace with autolites. I already have the lise tool, so i cant seem to justifiy spending extra money on other plugs. If the 2 piece design is cheaper, then why not use it? It is not like i will have to buy the tool again.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Lime1GT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
yah, but has anyone put 50k+ on yet and removed to prove how simply their patented plug comes out with out breaking,

Here's my point of view. The problem with the plug/cyl head design, allows the plug's barrel to stick in the cyl head's bore from carbon build-up.

If you use the Ford two piece plug and the barrel sticks, you can still break loose the plug's thread which will indeed cause the crimp to stretch. Although the stretch has occurred with the threads broken loose you can now use carb cleaner to soak past the threads and help break-up the barrel's carbon to help remove the rest of the plug.

If the barrel sticks on the champion how will you break the threads loose to add carb cleaner to soak to the barrel? It's a one piece plug. Something has to give. They claim you can use up to 75 ft/lb torque in a video I watched. Where will it break after that? Look at the plug and find the thinnest part. If that plug breaks between the thread and socket flats, how will you remove the plug?

Think I'll stay with the two-piece plug.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 AM
tmuti13
Junior User
limegt, i took my old stock plugs out after 49K miles with no problems and i feel that the reason why is i ran lucas fuel system cleaner which breaks up carbon deposits. I did this for a couple tanks before taking the plugs out and none broke. I also soaked the plugs in pb blaster for about 30 mins before taking them out. even with the champions, i will run the lucas for a few tanks before replacing them again. i actually run it in a tank about everyy 3K miles to keep everything clean.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Lime1GT
yah, but has anyone put 50k+ on yet and removed to prove how simply their patented plug comes out with out breaking,

Here's my point of view. The problem with the plug/cyl head design, allows the plug's barrel to stick in the cyl head's bore from carbon build-up.

If you use the Ford two piece plug and the barrel sticks, you can still break loose the plug's thread which will indeed cause the crimp to stretch. Although the stretch has occurred with the threads broken loose you can now use carb cleaner to soak past the threads and help break-up the barrel's carbon to help remove the rest of the plug.

If the barrel sticks on the champion how will you break the threads loose to add carb cleaner to soak to the barrel? It's a one piece plug. Something has to give. They claim you can use up to 75 ft/lb torque in a video I watched. Where will it break after that? Look at the plug and find the thinnest part. If that plug breaks between the thread and socket flats, how will you remove the plug?

Think I'll stay with the two-piece plug.
I have been changing my plugs in all of my vehicles and have never had an issue with any of them breaking or even heard of them breaking until the 2 piece plug in our trucks. They break because they are two pieces not because of how long they are in. I have been doing this is 2 jeeps, and several fords and have never seen one break. Some of these vehicles going to almost 100k before changing the plugs out. And these aren't champion plugs these are any 1 piece plugs that I was using.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 PM
rodinator1234
New User
Thanks for the reply's. 37k and no problems is good what I was looking for. I've been running some MMO in the gas for a while and I will get some Lucas and run some of that before I do the change. I think I'm gonna buy the Champions and the tool. I really like the truck and like the way it runs, but I don't want to go much past where I am now before I change the plugs. It's gonna have to cool off here in Mo. before I do it though. It's hot.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:39 PM
MNPete
Freshman User
Good as new

I replaced mine and of course had to easy out 2 of them... replaced at 78000 miles, old ones were double platinum and looked brand new, except the 2 i broke off... I would have waited had I known till at least 120000... fyi

Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 AM
SMKNHD
New User
Is that champion recommended for the 07 5.4 S/C? I was gonna change the plugs but dont trust the Auto zone guys, no offense but, I would like to hear what is working for yall

Old 08-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SMKNHD
Is that champion recommended for the 07 5.4 S/C? I was gonna change the plugs but dont trust the Auto zone guys, no offense but, I would like to hear what is working for yall

This would depend on who you ask but it is what I am going to put in my truck. In the next 5-10k miles.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got about 50K on the champions so far......they work great

Old 08-14-2010, 10:17 AM
red dog
Junior User
I dont rack up the miles very quick, I only have 30,000 on my 2005 f-150.
I spoke with my local ford dealer about doing the plug change before i put many more miles on her. He said he'd be glad to do it but, recommended i dont worry about the miles if its running ok. He said they havent broken anymore plugs on higher mileage trucks versus lower mileage ones. He also said they have tried pulling the plugs cold, warm, and hot and it doesnt seem to matter that way either. He said again that he would do it but, if it were his he wouldnt bother until their was a reason to. He said when they break its no big deal with the tool extractor and that they have used the tool many times and it works well. I might be looking at the new truck in the next couple years so i decided to take his advice and save some money. Like many others i have read a million posts on the plug issue, many to get them out ASAP and some to do it when theres a reason to. Dont know which is really the way to go but glad that they have the tool when they do break.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe i'll pull my champions out later this week and see how they look......

Old 08-14-2010, 08:08 PM
rodinator1234
New User
If you pull one post a pic. if you would with the time in service. It would be interesting to know how easy one comes out and how it looked.

Quick Reply: Champion 7989