BDP vs CPR fuel system and housing size questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 PM
NavyMIDN08
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 97oneton
either fuel system will work and perform great
I gathered that judging from their back and forth banter. Makes the decision easier for me though. BDP offers the rest of the products i'm looking at as well, so it's one fewer vendor for me to coordinate with. And a little more hope for a package deal price...

Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All in good fun.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Me and Neal have gone back and forth on the CPR and Beans systems before and it's all in fun. In no way are we putting down the other systems at all. I can really mess with him now that he's on the DRD crew!!!! LoL

Old 08-13-2010, 10:39 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Neal you need to update your sig to rep the DRD lol

Old 08-14-2010, 09:07 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do both systems have interchangeable filters? Can you run different brands?

If I remember correctly, I was dead set on the beans setup because you can cross reference the filters better? Or maybe that was the CPR system?

The cost really turned me away from those kits. They seem to have a pretty good profit margin.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Beans uses NAPA filters. easily found.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 AM
NavyMIDN08
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FARM69
Do both systems have interchangeable filters? Can you run different brands?

If I remember correctly, I was dead set on the beans setup because you can cross reference the filters better? Or maybe that was the CPR system?

The cost really turned me away from those kits. They seem to have a pretty good profit margin.
The cost is high, but its the convenience factor. Plus, the guess work is out, and you've got a scapegoat if something goes wrong. I think this will be one of the mods for when I get home. Building up the base first, then adding on the power adders later. I think I'll realize the best gains if i've built a solid foundation first...

Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
What I think is confusing about the CPR systen is they put a 2 micron filter pre pump and a SS 100 micron filter post pump. So if something were to go wrong with the pump you are getting 100 micron size particles to your injectors.
Sounds backwards to me.

Beans comes with a 150 mircron pre pump filter and a 5 micron post pump filter. Both with water separators!
This just makes more sense to me.

These are just my opinions. Take it for what it's worth.
I was confused by this as well Neal, It seems hillbilly backwards to me. But... (more later)

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Holy donkey ***** that Beans fuel system is expensive!!! I think I'm going DIY on my fuel system when I get to that point.
Yea, That was also my thought chase. I mentioned to clay putting together a "cheaper" kit with everything you need. People are putting some really fancy kits together all home brew, and not spending anywhere close to the CPR kit and the BDP kit.

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I actually like the filter setup on the CPR better. How often have you ever seen a fuel pump go out and shoot junk into the fuel system??? I've helped a buddy of mine change out several SD pumps that went out and none of them shot junk into the fuel system. also i like the 100 micron aeromotive inline filter that dieselsite includes in their kit since you never have to change it out. all you do is unscrew it and clean it(it's stainless steel screen) and put it back in. We all have our different views on fuel systems though so you can't say that one is better than the other IMO. They are both complete kits, both perform their jobs nicely, and it seems both install pretty easily. The instructions with my CPR was also top notch, laminated and comes in a binder so it's easy to sort through with your hands dirty while your working. I think you will be just fine with either kit, it's just up to you which one you want to go with.
The 100 Micron screen filter is an awesome idea IMO, but I'd think to use it more as a trap, not a backup.

Also the IC from Banks is way too much money. You can get the same cooling capacity IMO from a 6.0 cooler. And they are easy to install.
Banks products are Overrated. Gale doesn't even like power-strokes.

The Beans uses NAPA filters. easily found.
Any fleet filter style setup is gold in my book.
There are a lot of heads out there you can get that will accept the fleet filter as well as their branded filter. I believe one or 2 of the CAT heads do this, or maybe it was an OIL Guard head that accepted CAT and Fleet Filter's.

Originally Posted by NavyMIDN08
The cost is high, but its the convenience factor. Plus, the guess work is out, and you've got a scapegoat if something goes wrong. I think this will be one of the mods for when I get home. Building up the base first, then adding on the power adders later. I think I'll realize the best gains if i've built a solid foundation first...
Electric fuel is one of THE best mods you can do for your truck.
Better filtered fuel will save injectors in the long run, Reliability.
The SD style setups make finding a replacement pump a breeze as well. No special order pump, just gotta run up to the local store, or the junk yard.

The stock fuel bowl on our trucks works, but, it just doesn't cut it in the long run. I have 300k on my truck with a stock fuel system.
Trust me, I worry.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Sorry guys. I forgot my other thought here.

This goes out for my "but..." in the previous post.

I forgot to add in the PDF and explain it

This is a study done by Bosch on fuel abrasiveness on the Pumps.

As to this fuel being filtered or un-filtered, I'm not sure, but the idea behind the CPR system is to pump clean fuel.

Which is also strange to me, because travis says his 100micron screen trap also ends up catching extra stuff as well. This personally would tempt me to run a 3 filter setup with the 100 micron screen first before any other filter. With a cleanable filter like that, it would save on the filter life by being able to just pull this and clean it once a month. Big stuff really gums up them small filters. This is also why the 2 micron pre gets me. Your getting great filtered fuel into the pump, but that 2 micron's gonna catch EVERYTHING, thus gumming up first with crud before the 100 micron even thinks about getting dirty.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
022003bosch.pdf (777.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:51 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Will, I failed to explain to you correctly what i see when i clean my 100 micron inline filter.... There is just a tint over the screen and thats really all. there aren't chunks of anything, but just a tinting over the screen. I've only cleaned the screen one time and that was after about 10k miles of use. just sprayed it off w/ carb cleaner and put it back in the truck. the 2 micron filter i have NOT found a cross reference for, but the filter is only like $12 and i order like 4 or 5 of them at one time so i'm set for awhile and i keep them behind the seat of the truck so i have them at all times.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Quit calling me Will.

And yes. You did explain it to me Travis.

I have no idea what you are picking up in the screen.

Anyways. Still researching.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:24 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
WillIAM, you know when you clean out your fuel bowl the kinda dark tint that you clean off the inside walls of the bowl? thats pretty much what is on the screen and thats about it.

All, I like how the filter setup is on the CPR. I've never heard of a pump going out and blowing chunks of stuff into the fuel, but the aeromotive inline filter should catch anything a fuel pump would send upstream IMO. The screen appears to be find enough to catch metal shavings if there were to be any. Some people worry about it more than others and put a 10 micron filter there, but i feel thats just way overkill. Not a bad idea, but i don't worry about it much.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
I dont' get any skuzz in my fuel bowl.

They overprice the fuel up here. maybe because its not scuzzy fuel?

friggen 87 went down in price, and diesel went up to 2.99 again. Gah!