Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Senior User

dturnersr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission fluid refill 07 Expedtion

Okay guys I need some help. doing a 100k service, etc. I dropped the tranny pan on my wife's 07 Expedition to replace the filter clean magnet, and pan. To my surprise I went to go refill the tranny....NO FILL TUBE OR DIPSTICK. It's my guess that the dealer flushes through the tranny cooler lines, but how do you know how much and how to fill it with out a flush machine. Any help would be appreciated. I should have know there was a reason the dealership did not stock the filter.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Senior User

dturnersr is starting off with a positive reputation.
6R Six speed overdrive service procedure

Well I have to admit when I went to service the wife's Expy I never dreamed it would have been so interesting. So, for you guys and gals who want to do your own servicing here goes the facts:

Ford's recommended service interval for the 2007 Expedition with the 6R six speed with two overdrive grears is 100,000 miles, extreme service interval is 60,000 miles. With that said the owner's manual is no help warning that there is a different than typical service procedure. Ford's intent it NOT to drop the pan, change the filter, yes there is a filter, and clean the debris magnet and pan. The accpeted service procedure according to my local Ford tranny guy is to use a heated back flush to service/replace the fluid. Being the typical old school wrench I found this out the hard way by dropping the pan, cleaning the magent, replacing the filter ($24.00 with a two day wait at local dealer), and reinstalling the pan after cleaning it up. Image my surprise when I could not find the filler tube/dip stick. However, you can service this tranny yourself. There is nut on the passenger (right side) of the transmission where the fill tube typically is found. When you remove this 1" tall nut it has a yellow plastic dipstick inside that comes out of the metal nut. It clearly states to remove the dipstick from the nut. Because it is almost impossible to check it with it in due to the catalytic converter proximty. Ford spec's show capacity of transmission is 11.1 qts. I used 9.3 qts. of Mobile 1 synthentic transmission fluid @ $7.50 a qt. to refill bring the level back to hot full in park on the dip stick. I put in the fluid using a pump that fits a one gallon container which the Mobile 1 bottle caps matched. I put in 5 qts before starting to check after each subsequent quart until I used 9.3 qts. I'm giving you fair warning there is not much room between the catalytic convetor and transmission housing to get the dip stick or fill tube in (be careful to keep the plastic tubing off the Catalytic convertor). Based on the dry specification I left about 3/4 qt. in the transmission cooler/torque convertor/valve body. In my case I used this truck for 80% highway use, 5% towing up to the 9K limit, and the remainder in town driving. I had very little debris on the magnent, pan, and in the filter. But, I feel better knowing I have cleaned it all up, and replaced the filter. Is it a pain YES, is it worth it, that you will have to decide, but you can service your own 07 Expy. I would have taken pic's but I can't post them yet, but with this information you should be able to get through it IF you want to diy.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Postmaster

berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fords practice of not replacing the filter and inspecting the pan/magnet is just dumb. You did the right thing.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator

Tags
1997, 2001, 2007, expedition, expedtion, explorer, fill, fluid, ford, mobil, oil, qts, refill, service, transmision, transmission