1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 F100 Gas Tank Removal

Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Steves55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55 F100 Gas Tank Removal

This weekend I would like to remove my orginal gas tank and since this will be my first experience, is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of? It appears to be a simple process but I know that sometimes what appears simple can be misleading. Thanks for any tips.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All very straightforward, Steve. Remove your running board and have at it.

himmelberg

Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Old 08-10-2010, 12:13 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steves55
This weekend I would like to remove my orginal gas tank and since this will be my first experience, is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of? It appears to be a simple process but I know that sometimes what appears simple can be misleading. Thanks for any tips.
Undo all hoses, lines and wires, yes I know that sounds stupid but I almost did it myself. Wear eye protection to because while your under it losening the nuts and bolts all that crap will land in your eyes. Make sure you have some way to lower it with out having to muscle it around, if it has gas in it that is and finally don't be a ret@rd like me and hop under it with a smoke...lol As dumb as alot of this may sound it happens alot and its not just me. I'm just the one who is willing to admit that I do dumb stuff...lol

Old 08-10-2010, 12:56 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
before you even mess with it get some penetrating oil and spray those threads on the straps.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Steves55
Senior User
Originally Posted by Old F1
I am going to either use a polyproholine (spelling) or a steel tank from LMC; haven't made up mind yet. My original is just about shot and I think that it has been the source of my problem with my carb.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 PM
tardster
Elder User
I am going to either use a polyproholine (spelling) or a steel tank from LMC; haven't made up mind yet. My original is just about shot and I think that it has been the source of my problem with my carb.
I got my new tank from LMC, I had thought about going with the plastic tank but then decided since the diff in price was only 20 bucks I'd go with the metal tank. Be sure to get new straps and rubber when you order your tank, I tried to reuse the old straps and someone told me to get new ones because they were easier to work with.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Steves55
Senior User
Originally Posted by tardster
I got my new tank from LMC, I had thought about going with the plastic tank but then decided since the diff in price was only 20 bucks I'd go with the metal tank. Be sure to get new straps and rubber when you order your tank, I tried to reuse the old straps and someone told me to get new ones because they were easier to work with.
Thanks for the tip regarding the straps. I will be sure to order a set along with new mounting hardware. My straps and hardware look like they have seen their better days. In-fact, I shot some PB Blaster on the bolts last night. I spoke with the nice folks at Mid-Fifties about their plastic tank and think I will go that route. Additionally it accepts the stock sending unit without needing an adapter. The only difference is that it is a 15 gal tank. No big deal..I like the idea that I will never have to worry about rust.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:39 PM
tardster
Elder User
Thanks for the tip regarding the straps. I will be sure to order a set along with new mounting hardware. My straps and hardware look like they have seen their better days. In-fact, I shot some PB Blaster on the bolts last night. I spoke with the nice folks at Mid-Fifties about their plastic tank and think I will go that route. Additionally it accepts the stock sending unit without needing an adapter. The only difference is that it is a 15 gal tank. No big deal..I like the idea that I will never have to worry about rust.
All I did to use my sending unit was unscrewed it from the round piece that gets bolted down to the tank on both and switched them. It took me less than 5 minutes to switch them, but I do like the idea of no more rust...lol

Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
And just to be a smart alec, I recommend you empty it before you drop is out! Lots easier that way!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
DumbLuck
Senior User
while PB blaster works, a 50/50 mix of tranny fluid and acitone works wonders. I've yet to have a nut or bolt stay stuck after a good soaking in that magic juice. FYI : it WILL eat paint and plastic. (dont ask)

Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Steves55
Senior User
Oh yeah! That will be the first thing I do. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Steves55
Senior User
55 Gas Tank Removal

I am in the process of "trying" to remove my old gas tank. I removed the running boards with no problem at all however the bolts that hold the 2 running board braces are frozen. Do the braces need to be removed as well or do I just need to remove the 2 gas tank straps? Thanks.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:05 PM
tardster
Elder User
I am in the process of "trying" to remove my old gas tank. I removed the running boards with no problem at all however the bolts that hold the 2 running board braces are frozen. Do the braces need to be removed as well or do I just need to remove the 2 gas tank straps? Thanks.
I didn't remove anything except the tank straps, it took me a sec to wiggle it out but I was able to change them with no problems. It would probably make it easier but its up to you...

Old 08-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
My braces were riveted on to the frame and I didn`t see a real need to mess with the rivets so they stayed in place and my tank came out ok after I loosened the straps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 55 F100 Gas Tank Removal