2005 Expedition transmission = dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 PM
KingDruid
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jk080
When the clip or snap ring breaks and pieces jam the valve the symptom is a neutral when shifting from 3rd to 4th not 2nd to 3rd.

That is going to be a different kind of failure and its related to the direct drum.

Your transmission will have to be removed and more than likely have to be rebuilt.
I was afraid of that. I thought this was the same situation because this only happens when my overdrive is on. If I turn overdrive off it works fine. Does 1200 to rebuild the transmission sound like a reasonable price?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Reason why it shifts into neutral when overdrive is on is because the forward drum releases in 4th and if the band or the direct drum has failed there is nothing to hold and it will free wheel (like neutral). Turn the overdrive off and the forward drum wont release and it will still drive forward.

In your case it is shifting from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd but there is no 3rd and 2nd gear just keeps pulling until the 3-4 shift and it lets go.

1200 for a "rebuild" is cheap for me, my thoughts are for a shop to that at that price and make money they most likely will go in and clean it, fix the problem and maybe a few more spots that show wear and put it back together. There is nothing wrong with this, it should work but for a complete rebuild that includes the converter and addressing bushings and valve body updates and other fixes that are out for this transmission and a decent warranty somewhere around 2K is not uncommon.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 PM
KingDruid
New User
I put everything back together and now it doesn't move at all on any gear. R, drive, 2 or 1. Not sure where I went wrong, I made sure everything was put back the same way, but I guess I miss something.

Any ideas? I may just tow it to the transmission place, but I don't want him to clean up after my work so I may fix it before I take it over.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:31 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Possible missed the manual valve?

Old 02-11-2015, 03:40 PM
ALPHADOG707
New User
were does the E-Clip exactly-go guys? thanks.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:06 PM
fakirone
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALPHADOG707
were does the E-Clip exactly-go guys? thanks.
I know I have no idea.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:58 AM
gotroxs
Senior User
The clip goes into one of the valves that pointing down into the valve body. One of the 2-3" valves has a clip to restrict how far the plate/valve goes down.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 AM
gotroxs
Senior User
I know this is an old thread but it has been very helpful. I jsut had the same problem on a 2005 Ford Expedition. Found the broken e-clip in the exact spot this thread mentions. Did everything mentioned here an put everything back together and now it shifts from 3 to 4th. Amazing that it was exactly as the thread described.

BUT... after everything is back together we have new issues. I am getting occasional hard shifts. Any gear, any speed...just hard. What did I put together back wrong? Any ideas?

Old 07-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Carolina Alcantara
New User
I know this happened several years ago. But I 'm having problems with my Expedition 2005 .
As I am a woman and know nothing about mechanics, two mechanics have promised to fix the problem by saying different things. One told me that the problem was the fuel injectors, and the other something I did not even understand.
Last week I took it to another place and today I was told that is the transmission.
I wonder if it´s the same problem you had. What were the symptoms of your vehicle?

Old 10-06-2015, 11:23 AM
CraigW75
New User
I have a 1998 Expedition with a 4R100 transmission that is acting up on me.
It's shifting at an extremely high RPM 1-2 and 2-3 but will cut the transmission out at about 5500 rpm, and grind when put into park...If I shut it off and put it in neutral change it from 2h to 4x4 low it will re-engage and let me do it all over again from 2h.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Jz_101
New User
Hello, I am real desperate for I just purchased my used 05 expedition cheap in August 2015 and 2 month later the tranny is gone and so is seller. I dropped pan and installed filter and filled up with 6 quarts and 1 Lucas anti-slip, just fine silt at bottom of pan looks like fluid never been changed before in 177000 miles.
Drove like a champ for 50 days, now I have a tranny issue and your posts seam to be dead-on with symptoms and solutions. So my 2005 Eddie Bauer Expedition's transmission decided to crap out on me a couple days ago. It drives fine until up to 40mph It tries to shift into Over Drive and then it just goes into revs high and thats it. If I turn off the OD I can drive all day at 40mph.
There are no codes. You gave another user (fakirone)a senario about an OD e-clip that broke off in the valve body and has the 4th gear valve stuck; "As far as the problem goes, the overdrive servo pistons has a small e clip the holds the servo together, this clip is known to break and fall down into the valvebody and jam the valve for 4th gear. If you can find a shop that is willing to remove the valvebody and check this out you might be able to fix it without rebuilding it. "

Do you have a shop that I can take or tow my 2005 Expedition to so you can work your magic?
I live in Riverdale GA exit 238 off 75

Old 02-03-2016, 11:39 AM
hex_tec87
New User
Transmission Problems

My 2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer transmission is messing up it does not want to take off when I come to a stop sometimes have to force it (give it gas) to go but once it takes off it drives really smooth and the rest of the gears are fine it's just everytime I come to a stop that the first gear gives me problems

Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
It could be low fluid level, or a failed forward clutch. If the trans fluid level is fine, then this will need a rebuild.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:34 PM
Cory Shell
New User
Well I have the same symptoms (no OD, but works fine with OD off) on my 2005 Expedition 107k. Tore it down and found the small E clip broken off the OD servo shaft (the big C clip that holds the servo is intact). Found the biggest piece on top of the valve body and the tiny broken piece at the bottom of the pan.....I checked the OD valve in the valve body to make sure nothing was stuck in it and it was clean and clear. I pushed up on the OD servo shaft (since it doesnt have the e clip on it) and could see thru the peep hole that the OD band was moving upwards also so it appears to be still engaged with the OD band. Im at a loss here where to go other than replacing the small e clip on the servo shaft. With that missing would that cause the no OD condition or is there something else that is involved? Mark Kovalsky or one of the other experts on here might have an idea what might also be in play? thanks

Old 08-07-2017, 11:26 PM
sparky11
New User
E clip falling off

I am having a problem almost the same mine is also slow going into drive,plus shifting into neutral when changing gears anyone else?

Quick Reply: 2005 Expedition transmission = dead?