1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Can I remove the cat on a 96 Ranger 2.3 without problems??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:45 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by amiprez
CAt Removal is NOT a Fedaral law... Its state law !!
I live in PA only certain county's require Emissions like Monroe does NOT there for you can run w/a test pipe and take out the cat !!
check your local county emissions ..96 will run fine w/test pipe...
Emissions are FEDERAL!
States do not have the authority to require auto makers to post emission standards on their vehicles.
Do the research!

Rog

Old 08-14-2010, 03:33 PM
miggun
Junior User
100 Zellen Rennsportkatalysator mit FIA Homologation 76mm

200 Zellen Motorsportkat Rund 76mm

Something like this could work great and you don't violate the laws!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:19 PM
bankshot
Senior User
Originally Posted by kawa
Emissions are FEDERAL!
States do not have the authority to require auto makers to post emission standards on their vehicles.
Do the research!

Rog
They are federal laws but are enforced by the states. Some states are much stricter than EPA emissions standards (CA and AZ for example).

Where I live (Oregon), I have an older f150 and removed all emissions equipment. I simply reregister it every two years. In California the truck could be impounded and would certainly fail inspection. The f150 is in violation of federal EPA laws but Oregon does not choose to enforce it.

Lighten up.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:38 PM
amiprez
New User
Thumbs up

Right Federal requires them to POST it on all vehicles
BUT !! states can do what they want with the requirements...
I was just stating that He does not have to spend tons of money to fix the trouble just check with HIS Local area to see if CAT is required as mine is NOT !! so if it is not required its not law breaking .. as your local is the INSPECTION STATION not the Federal
I am Lighting up Im not controling .. Just Merely Suggestion an easy solution thats cost effective to the Pockets !
Thanks

Old 08-18-2010, 01:41 PM
amiprez
New User
No Need to USE Profanity " RTFM "

Old 08-18-2010, 03:00 PM
grandmas77f150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow I didn't know the federal government trolled forums.

Just remove that cats and call it a day, it's your truck

Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by amiprez
CAt Removal is NOT a Fedaral law... Its state law !!
I live in PA only certain county's require Emissions like Monroe does NOT there for you can run w/a test pipe and take out the cat !!
check your local county emissions ..96 will run fine w/test pipe...
Before you say that you had better be prepared to provide some prove. Have you ever read the EPA Clean Air Act, passed in 1988/1989? Guess what, I states that all States must meet the Clean Air Act as minimum guidelines.

So unless your State or County has passed a law specifically saying it is exempt from the CLean Air Act, its not. So if this magical law exists, post a link and let us have a look.

From a simple function standpoint, no you cannot remove the cat without triggering a CEL. You have to go out of your way to fool the system if you don't put a new cat on. O2 simulators are illegal. The non-fouler method is still illegal, and not 100% effective. You will run into lots of people who claim they do it and it works. I have seen many many vehicles where it ultimately did not work or it only worked for a little while. How many people are you gonna find that will admit that later on it stopped working?

As I stated earlier, an O2 simulator only mimics one of the criteria the computer uses to determine the converters function. On some early systems, possibly including your Ranger, it might work. But it also closely mimics a sensor that is not working correctly, so you have a descent chance of actually going out of your way to create a problem.

Are you certain the rattling noise is even coming from inside, or do you just have a loose heat shield?

Old 08-19-2010, 10:16 AM
amiprez
New User
Thumbs down

First of all It was not put on my Ranger ..
as mine was bought in PA but later found out it was built in CA so needless to say I have CA Emissions .. So I have a different CAT & Y pipe system.. In which I didnt know when it waz bought !!
Anyway The vehicle I am speaking of is a friend of mine that own a Auto garage In which I was told was Very Legal to do... The Truck is still running today its been 6 years and the Truck is still VERY much running Chevy S-10 and Has PASSED PA inspection each year ..It still being run each day to work by a friend ..
Do you have a job ?
how is it you have all the time to sit and play on Ford Tuck Sites and correct People that have done things that HAVE WORKED on Vehicles ..
Nice talking w/you
BYE BYE..you almost make people want to STOP using this site..

Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 AM
amiprez
New User
Smile Than You I Agree with Your comment

grandmas77f150

Than You I Agree with Your comment

Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 AM
amiprez
New User
Thumbs up I Luv the NON LEGAL INFO

Thank You All for the Non Legal Info ..
As I thought this site was for people that just need input on things they have done or known to have worked for others... Not all that Legal --
" mumbo-jumbo"
since most people dont follow state laws
Unless it effects Inspection of the Vehicle...
Thank You for all the Help
Some People need to stop worring about The Laws and just Live Life ...

Old 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM
bankshot
Senior User
Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
Before you say that you had better be prepared to provide some prove. Have you ever read the EPA Clean Air Act, passed in 1988/1989? Guess what, I states that all States must meet the Clean Air Act as minimum guidelines.

So unless your State or County has passed a law specifically saying it is exempt from the CLean Air Act, its not. So if this magical law exists, post a link and let us have a look.
The law was passed in 1990. And you are correct that it is against Federal law to run a vehicle manufactured with a cat without one. It is also illegal to modify an exhaust from original - single into dual for example (even with cats). The method of enforcement is the issue. No state other than California, that I'm aware of, will inspect a vehicle on the road for emissions. That means its technically illegal to have no cat - but what difference does it make if there is no enforcement? Most states inspect vehicles on a schedule and if they don't comply, must do so or not be driven.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
whats ironic is:
a majority of the precious metals required to make a catalytic converter are done so in the russian city of norilsk. and it also happens to be among the most polluted and toxic places on earth. a false color satellite image of it is pretty disturbing.

plus:
a catalytic converter converts exhaust to co2, which is a greenhouse gas number one leading cause of global warming.

the actual problem is that there are way too many vehicles on the road. EVERYBODY has a car now, SEVERAL CARS....so does the wife, and each kid. our demand for burning gasoline exceeds the supply. this is the problem. i sure as hell dont want our government to put limits on ownership, i myself have 4 vehicles...i'm just saying, that actually is what the problem is.

to top it all off. i like simplicity. and cars are just getting rediculously complex, and cheap. the lifespan keeps getting shorter and shorter. a cat is nothing but a nuissance to me if its just another part that i'm going to have problems with, and costs a fortune to replace, as well as everything else related to it.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:13 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
whats ironic is:
a majority of the precious metals required to make a catalytic converter are done so in the russian city of norilsk. and it also happens to be among the most polluted and toxic places on earth. a false color satellite image of it is pretty disturbing.

plus:
a catalytic converter converts exhaust to co2, which is a greenhouse gas number one leading cause of global warming.

the actual problem is that there are way too many vehicles on the road. EVERYBODY has a car now, SEVERAL CARS....so does the wife, and each kid. our demand for burning gasoline exceeds the supply. this is the problem. i sure as hell dont want our government to put limits on ownership, i myself have 4 vehicles...i'm just saying, that actually is what the problem is.

to top it all off. i like simplicity. and cars are just getting rediculously complex, and cheap. the lifespan keeps getting shorter and shorter. a cat is nothing but a nuissance to me if its just another part that i'm going to have problems with, and costs a fortune to replace, as well as everything else related to it.
That may be your opinion. I don't doubt the area where the mine is located is badly polluted, this is one of the legacies of the Soviet Union, and truth be told had little to do with the mining of precious metals so much as it was a systemic problem with Soviet Communism. It is false that those mines produce the majority of the precious metals used in catalysts. The majority comes from the mining operations in South Africa, where conditions are much better. Significant portions also come from the Stillwater mines (Montana), several mines in Canada, and smaller quantities are produced from copper and gold mines.

Global warming is a myth, the whole greenhouse gas theory is based upon false assumptions, and the arguments are based largely upon truths that have been convenient to their cause. Simple fact, the earth has undergone a general warming trend ever since the end of the ice age, we have not had a major volcanic eruption in over a decade until the recent events in Iceland, which have already started to affect temperatures. The baseline study was based upon temperatures when sulphur dioxide was in the atmosphere lowing temperatures, so of course when you get no major volcanic activity you will see an increase in temperatures, a convenient argument for global warming proponents. They like to ignore simple facts in the name of political calculations. The most significant, abundant, and effective greenhouse gas on the planet is water vapor. Water vapor has an enormous ability to trap and hold heat and accounts for 99.5% of all greenhouse gas effect on earth. Carbon dioxide only accounts for about .3% of global warming, which means all other factors removed, if you increased the CO2 content of the atmosphere by a factor of 100%, you would only increase the average global temperature by .3%.

The last major eruption prior to the Iceland event, was Pinatubo, which ejected more carbon dioxide than the entire Industrial Revolution. Guess where that carbon dioxide came from by the way? It came from fossil fuels and limestone that gets forced into the earths interior and melted. The trapped CO2 and water in the magma is what makes that type of volcano so explosive, and the quantities release in one event re mind boggling.

Catalytic converters were introduced more as a basic safety measure than for the environment. The environment they protect more than anything is the human environment, nature has no problem absorbing exhaust. People on the other hand are affected by the noxious gases produced by vehicles. If you look at the number of people who are hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning, and realize what percentage of those are from cars, you would think twice about tampering with the converters. My brother nearly died from carbon monoxide poisoning on a car that had a cracked exhaust manifold, and the vehicle was moving. The truck ran perfectly otherwise, but carbon monoxide is extremely toxic even in small amounts.

I disagree with your opinion about the cars getting more expensive to maintain. Simple fact is the converter one your car will never fail, and you will never have to worry about it, if you just take care of the car. Keep it properly tuned up, and the converter will outlast the engine.

Tune ups are cheaper than ever before too. Back in the days of carbs, you had to constantly fiddle and tune them. If you set it up right, you could drive around town and be fine, but if you drive to another area where the altitude is different, you have to retune it. You had to do tune ups about every 30,000 miles, sometimes more often, and that would consist of plugs, wires, cleaning and adjusting the carb and check and adjusting other stuff and needed.

Today we balk and complain that something breaks when the car hasn't seen a tune up in over 100,000 miles. And most modern cars, excluding the cars that are designed as disposable, are good for over 200,000 miles, often much longer on original engines.

The only vehicle in our company fleet that has had a converter fail is my Dad's 2000 Dodge Dakota, and hey guess what, it outlasted the engine. That truck has 340,000 miles on it. His 1996 Ranger is about the same mileage and is still all original, converters and all, excluding tune up parts, and the PS pump, and the water pump. I'll tell you what, that is dirt cheap maintenance for that many miles.

My statements are based upon personal experience, and I drive a lot, and drive several vehicles. I personally do about 40,000 miles per year, my dad does about the same.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 PM
amiprez
New User
Wink reply

Boy Oh Boy !! I Never tought 1 Question would turn into so much work ! Again , I was only telling someone that a friend removed the CAT - Legally in OUR county and all is WELL !!!
My truck is also GREAT I drive 84 miles 1 way each day to work !! I have 178,000 on it 2002 Ranger ( Tremor ) ...
I DO maintain my Truck to the fulliest ..
However its not how you take care of it .. Its where it was made !
I wash,wax,clean the cabin in Detail under coat it , clean my engine
BUT nothing stops rust !!
Since I live in the Poconos and the winters are sometimes Harsh..
This does effect the metals
as I do NOT lose time off work for Snow day !! since Im a State Employee
its critical for me to work ... and Im sure the snow,salt, wetness plays a BIG part in metal rusting ?
Plus, Now a days I believe the Muffler system are made os Stainless Steel?
But My Truck was made in CA .. Ive already replaced The Y pipe !!
please ..from here on out I didnot EVER say I was an EXPERT on any of this stuff...
I was just merely giving a FACTUAL statement as to something I do know has been done ..
But Thank You for all the hours you spent typing your reply was interesting reading
Amy

Old 09-01-2011, 01:17 PM
51chris
Senior User
Thank you very much Conanski for the good info it very hard to find some one who would answer the original question and for all you emission senstive folks I'll plant a tree or somthing

Quick Reply: Can I remove the cat on a 96 Ranger 2.3 without problems??