1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

off topic / off subject

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
off topic / off subject

i noticed that some of my cohorts and friends here have been trying to reach me via my cell . well guy's i got a new one , or more appropriateley the wife did , . mine died 2 weeks ago and i have not wanted and did not myself replace it . it was nice not having the da-- thing bugging me , no offence guy's , but it always seemed to be ringing when i'm busiest or trying to drive the work truck in traffic . as i said theres a new one now , but , and again no offence , i wont be turning it on , so try reaching me at home !! the only reason i gave in on this fancy goofy new one is the post office requires one in the truck ............. otherwise i'd still not have one .

Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
If the PO wants one in the Truck have them issue one

Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
"Don't call me, I'll call you!!!"

LOL!

Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
julie you are so right !!!!!!!! it's been nice not having to deal with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dick i don't want one of their phones as they have gotten to the point , no kidding , that they have employees actually "scanning " in and out to go too the freakin' restroom in some cases !!!!!!! i don"t think it"s any of their da-- biz where i am and what i'm doing as long as i'm on route and not late . this is the only place i have worked that you get penalized for being efficient !!!!!!!!!!! so nope don't want their phone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! every one thinks i'm nut's but i want to get back to what it was 30 years ago when i didn't have to deal with all the dumb a-- electronic gizmo's and such .

Old 08-09-2010, 02:09 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Gee Dick, I didn't recognize you wrapped up in a bun,lol

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
If the PO wants one in the Truck have them issue one

Old 08-09-2010, 06:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
John Stossel did a show a few years ago about all our new gadgets we have to make our lives easier in reality make our Love's more hectic. Cell phones were one of the main ones. For example, before if you worked away from your office or shop you went to your job site, did your job and then after you were done you found a phone and called into office to check your messages and see what's going on. Once you checked your messages you hopped into your vehicle and drove to your next assignment or home without really thinking for a while about who was trying to get a hold of you or what was going on back at the office, not until you got to another phone to check in. Now, you're constantly barraged with people calling every five minutes with questions and demands. You have no escape. You're constantly being disturbed by the damn phone while you're driving or trying to get something done. If you don't answer your cell phone you have people getting even more irritated with you. You have no respite for it.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
No phone, no worries.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Seems like it rings at least convenient time.......I love the built-in answering machine. Have had a cell since 1992......and still hate them....LOL

Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I used to have a pager, those weren't quite as intrusive as cell phones, IMO, but they still would go off at the worst times. My wife used to page me at night while I was working late to nag me about working later than I told her I thought I would be. She stopped after I flung a pager against the wall smashing it to little pieces when she paged me one night around 11 o'clock. It really ticks me off when I'm trying to get something done so I can go home after a long day and have some one nag me about working late, like I really enjoy doing it. She doesn't call me at night if I'm working late because she's afraid the phone might end up the same way as the pager, she's learned.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You don't have to answer them, ya know...

I'm looking for a way to cut down the cost. Is it REALLY worth at least $700 a year??

Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
When I was forced to stop working I was carring 2 cell phones, 1 pager, and 2 radios (one 2 freq, one 10 freq) plus 2 radios in my truck.
Now I don't own a working watch. (I do carry a whistle when I work in the back lot so I can let someone know I died.)

Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
You don't have to answer them, ya know...

I'm looking for a way to cut down the cost. Is it REALLY worth at least $700 a year??
Ross, the problem is if you use one for work you have to answer it. If you don't your boss will get very irritated that he/she couldn't get a hold of , "What the heck do you think we got you a cell phone for?!!". As a self employed person I can't afford to not keep in touch with my customers. I am a one man operation, I can't afford to have some one sit next to my office phone to take messages and a cell phone is a lot cheaper than an answering service, the type with live people. I'm in a very competitive business (who isn't?) and if I don't answer my phone NOW my customer could very well move down the phone book to the next vendor who will answer their phone. It's not that I want to have that blasted thing strapped to my belt but my customers expect it. It's a common tool of life now and everyone expects you to have one. Just tell some one you don't have a cell phone and I'll guarantee if they're younger than 60 they'll give you a look like you've just crawled out from under a rock.

Ironically, I rarely ever receive a personal phone call on my cell phone. We ported our home phone over to my wife's cell phone because it's cheaper than having the land line phone and even doing that we rarely get a phone call. I feel we're kind of odd because it seems almost everyone else I interact with always interrupt our in person conversations to answer their cell phone. I rarely will answer my phone if I'm talking face to face with someone. I'll leave it go to voice mail unless I know the call is very important. It's very rude, IMO, to ignore a person you're talking to talk on a cell phone.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:44 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
My sisters got my mother an "emergency" cell phone, but since neither of them is technical, they never bothered to explain the "concept" to her. When I ditched my home land line for my cell, and called her on it, she told me my phone must be "really powerful" to reach all the way to Illinois!

Bob, I feel your pain, they need to include a pamphlet on cellphone etiquette with each phone. I swear, if you stand by a busy road, and watch the cars going by, you won't see a single woman go by who isn't jabbering away on their cell (plenty of men, too, but ALL the women) -- and it is against the law here.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Ross, it's against the law here too, it just passed in July. Today I almost got nailed on the freeway by a dingy woman, sorry but it was a woman, who came within 12" of my truck as she was merging into traffic. She crossed a solid white line, I didn't see here, I was kind of busy avoiding having the side of my truck caved in at 70 mph, but my son said she was looking down texting.

We bought a cell phone for my in-laws so they could use it when they do the very little traveling they do. These people lived on the farm all their life and until we got married, me and the wife that is, my in-laws thought it was strange that you could dial 7 numbers and connect directly with the person you're calling. They had a party line up until 1987 and they thought that was the norm. Imagine trying to explain to them how to use a cell phone. Dial number, push "send", listen, talk. A concept they just don't get.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
as of now it's against the law for anyone under 19 to be on one in a car period , for everyone , it's a no-no in a school zone and in construction zones . yet despite peeps i and others know getting busted and ticketed , i continued to hear the da-- thing , and the funny part is it was never the boss but occasionaly . some peeps got rather irritated yesterday , one of my days off as i didn't answer the phone . as i told them , i'm no longer answering the thing especially at work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all sounds etc. are off so let 'em call !!!!!!!!!!! i do know however i am rather fond of thid idgit box and the convenience it offers for chatting or locating things .................. if it's important or an emergency they can call the boss or the plant too call one of the offices i'm running too and leave a message !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for some reason they seem too think i actually want to listen to the non stop droning in my head of the pointless conversations and attempt to drive a loaded truck with one arm ............................ at least with my friends and such it was something interesting to hear , about our toys or the big fish story from the weekend past .......................