Sponsored by: Moser

My lifted 2WD F250

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:32 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_Dom
paint the sob... green dents make me sad.
There is getting to be less and less green dents. I happen to like them, they bring attention to their selves b/c there aint a lot of vehicles that color green anymore.

Good lookin truck if you ask me.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 AM
HeeHaw78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice lookin pick-up bud. but why lift a 2wd?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
And moronic posts make the little baby jesus cry...
His truck is BEAUTIFUL in person. No need to change it!

Originally Posted by HeeHaw78
very nice lookin pick-up bud. but why lift a 2wd?
So the rednecks from elsewhere in the country can all ask the same question over and over again...

That or - because it's fun to be able to pull up in 2wd to a place where other, lesser drivers could only get to using 4wd. Just one more way to prove we are better drivers

All bashing aside (sorry - but I hate that question as it usually comes from uninformed "trail" or "mud" type guys) the real reason is due to the terrain we have here in the southwest and what these trucks are set up to do. With a capable driver behind the wheel 2wds can go darn near anywhere a 4wd can here. Sand and silt are the usual places 2wd can have trouble, but with enough motor (his truck has a healthy 460) this isn't really an issue. And trying to get a 4wd to function and stay alive through 16-20+ inches of wheel travel gets expensive and tricky.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...and if I ruled the world, green dents would be mandatory

Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Blown 331
Good looking truck. I'm sure it gets around just fine with those tires and engine.

Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
And moronic posts make the little baby jesus cry...
His truck is BEAUTIFUL in person. No need to change it!

So the rednecks from elsewhere in the country can all ask the same question over and over again...

That or - because it's fun to be able to pull up in 2wd to a place where other, lesser drivers could only get to using 4wd. Just one more way to prove we are better drivers

All bashing aside (sorry - but I hate that question as it usually comes from uninformed "trail" or "mud" type guys) the real reason is due to the terrain we have here in the southwest and what these trucks are set up to do. With a capable driver behind the wheel 2wds can go darn near anywhere a 4wd can here. Sand and silt are the usual places 2wd can have trouble, but with enough motor (his truck has a healthy 460) this isn't really an issue. And trying to get a 4wd to function and stay alive through 16-20+ inches of wheel travel gets expensive and tricky.
Makes sense. 4x4 almost seems like necessity to me even for my 77 which doesn't see a lot of rough terrain. But I guess if you get around without it and the 2wd suspension works better for your needs than go for it.

Sorry my truck makes you sad.

Kept the pic small to avoid derailing the thread.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown 331
Good looking truck. I'm sure it gets around just fine with those tires and engine.

Makes sense. 4x4 almost seems like necessity to me even for my 77 which doesn't see a lot of rough terrain. But I guess if you get around without it and the 2wd suspension works better for your needs than go for it.

Sorry my truck makes you sad.

Kept the pic small to avoid derailing the thread.
Blown, your truck makes me sad b/c it isn't mine, lol.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 PM
76Hauler
Elder User
well, maybe you otta look somewhere else

Old 10-14-2010, 09:40 PM
76Hauler
Elder User
eheheh hahah

Lifted 2wd trucks are alomost like shotguns, you aim and shoot and most of it hits some of what you're aimin at!!

Thanks for all the coments, much appreciated. Lifting a 2WD won't work for rock crawlin' or mud boggin, but like chase said, for cookin' through the desert and buzzin' around fire roads/ pole roads, 2WD can usualy sufice. Less insurance, one less axle to worry about, no weight from a transfer case, makes for lighter weight fun truck that's a challenge to get places.

** BTW blown 331, no worries on derailing this thread, post up a B I G pic of that truck, looks awesome! Diggin the conversation so far....

Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
That is one heck of a nice truck!! Of course I have a million questions, but won't start. Really sharp engine too.

When I started my project, I couldn't find replacement springs for the front. The F250s didn't have the 'pigtail' bottom. I ordered the springs for the extended cab which had them. Are yours aftermarket? Can you post what mods you have in the front end.

Note: I would protect that radiator from flying stones when off roading.

The only problem I see with that truck is that it is one year too young!! Are you smog exempt?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 PM
76Hauler
Elder User
*Yes, springs are after market from AutoFab in San Diego, SoCal.
*Yes, YES I need to get a skid plate soon for my radiator, last thing I need is to puncture that bottom tank!
* Yea, I'm just shy of the cut-off for smog, BUT, my truck was from Arizona, so it only has to pass Federal standards. It never had a smog pump on it or injector tubes on the exhaust maifolds.** I'm not sure if these trucks even came with smog pumps and tubes, does anybody know?**
If you want F250 Restorer, send me a PM with a list of what you're wantin' to know, I'll do my best!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 PM
bendog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Badass! I've always liked the looks of the prerunner dents. Love the wierd original colors, especially the odd two tones. Just makes a cool truck more unique.
Soo fun to go blasting thru the desert, especially at night!
Stop bugging Steven, he's got work to do! On his own trucks.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:40 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 76Hauler
for cookin' through the desert and buzzin' around fire roads/ pole roads, 2WD can usualy sufice.
This is why I am rethinking my ford crew. I was going to convert it to 4wd, but in reality, I spent all that time and $$ on the last truck only to find out that with good tires and a locker in the back, I did 99% of what I needed in 2wd, so I think (at least for now) just upgrade my truck instead of convert it.

Trucks like your's give me inspiration. Of course, being green doesn't hurt either...

Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 AM
JBandit03
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Always loved seeing this truck.

79Hauler and ChaseTruck754 were the last two driving forces in me not converting my supercab to 4wd. I was teetering for a good while since the previous owner threw in 460-C6-205. Half the work was already done for the conversion haha. With a good driver, locker, and good tires, I havent had a need for 4wd(knock on wood). I know there will be a time that I'll be hooking up a strap and cussing myself out for not throwing a front axle in though.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 AM
spedbugy
Senior User
[quote=76Hauler;9441457 * Yea, I'm just shy of the cut-off for smog, BUT, my truck was from Arizona, so it only has to pass Federal standards. It never had a smog pump on it or injector tubes on the exhaust maifolds.** I'm not sure if these trucks even came with smog pumps and tubes, does anybody know?**
[/quote]

I think that by federal standards you don't have any pollution control equipment til '79.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:18 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JBandit03
I know there will be a time that I'll be hooking up a strap and cussing myself out for not throwing a front axle in though.
There is a reason I am building 2 trucks and 1 is a diesel, 4wd with a winch - it's the recovery vehicle

Quick Reply: My lifted 2WD F250