Sponsored by:

Installed Hellwig Sway bar today - interesting

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:49 PM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Hellwig Sway bar today - interesting

The directions sucked - really - I threw them away after an hour and looked for info online.

I thought maybe they would just bolt right up where my stock bar was - nope. Took all the stock stuff off.

They bolt to the bottoms of where the U-bolts that hold the lower shock mounts to the axel. Only problem was that the new U-bolts didnt fit through the old equipment so I had to drill them out. The U-bolts didnt line up with the holes so I had to use a vise to squeeze them a little so they fit (appearantly most dont have to do this but some do based on year).

Also where the end links bolt to the frame you were supposed to use the emergency brake cable bracket bolt hole to attach. - no way - too small and threaded for wrong size. I ended up using the stock holes on both sides.

Test drove - feels a little stiffer but not overly.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:59 PM
joenmell
Junior User
What year model is your Excursion? I have a bar on my 04, but I have heard the Helwig will make a big difference.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:46 PM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
2005 - I purchased it from a dealer who claimed it was one of the last ones off the line in 05.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Captain Midnight, you took the stock rear bar off your X to replace it with the Hellwig? Why?

You could have used urethane bushings, or a stock truck rear bar instead, and still had everything that makes the stock rear bar installation so sweet. No using your lower shock mount, no drilling, no frustration.

Just curious.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 AM
ajorn
Senior User
I'll take that stock bar off your hands if you're interested in getting rid of it...pm me with price...

Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LONG discussions previously about the benefits of the different bars...
some like stock, some like the f350, some like the Hellwig....

Just like the vehicle color, we gets what we likes ....

just know that composition of some bars, i.e. torsional strength, is different for different bars...
and some believe the Hellwig is the strongest... YRMV or better yet, your Opinions may vary

Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
LONG discussions previously about the benefits of the different bars...
some like stock, some like the f350, some like the Hellwig....

Just like the vehicle color, we gets what we likes ....

just know that composition of some bars, i.e. torsional strength, is different for different bars...
and some believe the Hellwig is the strongest... YRMV or better yet, your Opinions may vary
I wonder if the Hellwig bar for an F350 would work on the Excursion? These should be bigger yet than the stock 350 bar...

Old 08-09-2010, 07:36 PM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
X-hibition - well... I replaced it because I had already ordered it. I tried my eX out with our 31 foot TT and it was wiggling all over the road. My plan was for Hellwig, shocks and potentially a host of other mods to help. My dad came up to help me get it setup correctly with the WD hitch and that fixed it. Stock it worked great - in fact I was very impressed - very stable when correctly setup. Since I had already ordered I decided to install the Hellwig. I have no regrets (yet) and after feeling the Hellwig I believe it to be the superior bar - no question it is much thicker. I believe it to be the best solution out there but I guess time will tell. I test the TT setup on Saturday again and leave on Tuesday on a trip to Yellowstone.

Ajorn - lemme see how they work on on the trip and I may take you up on it when I get back.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Captain, if it's working for you that is all that counts.

My trailer is quite small compared to yours and I tow fine with my stock rear bar. Of course I have different springs, diffferent shocks, different wheels and tires, urethane bushings in my end links, and RAS...but other than that it sounds like we have the same set up. Run what ya brung.

See you in Yellowstone some time.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:05 PM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
The new Sway bar is working great - last chance for someone to take the stock bar off my hands before I trash it. $100 including shipping - Ajorn... Anyone...???

Old 11-26-2010, 08:14 PM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CPT...where are you located?

Old 11-26-2010, 08:34 PM
pkthomas
Senior User
I would be interested. I am in Arkansas.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:48 PM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
I am in MN but I am willing to ship anywhere in the states for free (well you do the math $100-$25 =$75 for the effort)

Old 11-27-2010, 04:08 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Originally Posted by CPTMidnight
X-hibition - well... I replaced it because I had already ordered it. I tried my eX out with our 31 foot TT and it was wiggling all over the road. My plan was for Hellwig, shocks and potentially a host of other mods to help. My dad came up to help me get it setup correctly with the WD hitch and that fixed it. Stock it worked great - in fact I was very impressed - very stable when correctly setup. Since I had already ordered I decided to install the Hellwig. I have no regrets (yet) and after feeling the Hellwig I believe it to be the superior bar - no question it is much thicker. I believe it to be the best solution out there but I guess time will tell. I test the TT setup on Saturday again and leave on Tuesday on a trip to Yellowstone.

Ajorn - lemme see how they work on on the trip and I may take you up on it when I get back.
I pull a 31 foot bumper pull also. I have a good WD hitch and am not impressed with how it pulls. I get a lot of sway when a large vehicle passes me, whether it's a van or a semi. Sometimes it's a struggle to keep it between the lines.

Not sure what I need....new bushings in the rear or what? Makes traveling a white knuckle experience most of the time.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:25 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBestKindOfEX
I pull a 31 foot bumper pull also. I have a good WD hitch and am not impressed with how it pulls. I get a lot of sway when a large vehicle passes me, whether it's a van or a semi. Sometimes it's a struggle to keep it between the lines.

Not sure what I need....new bushings in the rear or what? Makes traveling a white knuckle experience most of the time.
Older thread...but since you asked in here I'll answer...OP...sorry for the off topic...if bestkindofEx wants to start a new thread...that may be a better way to go and in line with forum rules...

I pull a 31' JayFlight BHDS with my Ex...I've talked with lots of people on here and on RV.net that pull with Ex's and all other kinds of vehicles...everyone has a different definition of 'sway' and as semi's pass there will almost always be a 'push/pull' effect you feel from the bow wave of air that is traveling in front of and around the semi truck that you feel hitting your trailer/Ex combo. As long as it is just a 'push/pull' and not 'sustained oscillations'...I would say it is a normal phenom...however the Ex can magnify things based on its characteristics...

Given that the Ex tends to have softer rear springs and a larger spacer block...the rear of the Ex seems to be more prone to axle wrapping which tends to impact towing stability...couple that with the possibility of a few other items on our Ex's being less than perfect (steering box being loose, ball joints being worn, tire pressure being non-optimal, just to name a few)...the Ex can be a finicky vehicle to dial in.

One area that is pretty consistent though that I have found with what causes most peoples stability towing issues is the fact that they have never been to a CAT scale to dial in their WD system and most find that they don't have the right tongue weight or they don't have enough WD and their front axle weight is too light when hitched. The ONLY way to dial in your WD system is to go to a CAT scale. Weighing at a CAT scale only costs about $8 for the first weigh and then $1 for each additional weigh that day.

The best on-line guide I have found for stepping through the WD setup process is RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Travel Trailer Hitch Set-up Procedure

Before attacking any other items on your Ex...I would recommend making sure your WD is dialed in.

Also what type of sway control are you using?...please don't tell me that you have a friction bar for a 31' TT ...because if you do...that is the FIRST thing to attack...but I'll wait until you reply.

I am in the process of planning our next summer's travels...an ~4500 mile trek from Indiana out to Idaho with stops in North Dakota (Teddy Roosevelt NP) and Montana (Glacier NP) before heading back into Yellowstone, Devils Tower, Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Badlands before heading home...we travel all over the country with our TT and I tow 12-14 hour days while getting to our destinations...my Ex is rock solid and allows me to do these long days towing our 9000# TT...so it is certainly possible to get your Ex dialed in and there is no reason that anyone on here should be fighting an ill handling setup with our Ex's...the mods I have done are somewhat minimal actually (RAS, Hellwig and Bilstein shocks)...the one that is NOT minimal (cost wise) is the Hensley Arrow hitch...but that was my choice to give me an added bit of comfort when towing. My 11 and 13 year old daughters have been in 35 states and counting before next summers travels...we'll add 4 more next year for them as well...

The Ex can be an awesome TV...let's get you dialed in my friend!!!

Joe.