1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Locating correct center support bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:48 PM
richis69mach
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 F150 5.4 Supercab longbed center support bearing failed (spicer also destroyed). I have been trying to locate one but haven't had any luck. Oreilly, Napa and Pepboys all offer the same bearings by SKF, part #HB88515. Everything on the center support is exactly like the one off my truck except for the inside diameter of the bearing itself. The one off my truck measures 1.375, the one from SKF measures 1.575.

Oreilly offers brands like Anchor with the correct ID but the way Anchor builds them, will not allow you to assemble the drive shaft correctly.

The bearing off the one from my truck is made by NSK with a part # 35DSF01. I haven't had any luck finding just the bearing itself either. Right now my only solution is to use the frame and spicer from the SKF and try to locate the the same or replacement bearing from NSK if its available.

Anybody have any suggestions or has had this issue? Know where to locate the correct bearing or unit?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Here is a posibility, sometimes all the vendors use the same info for their computer listed part reference and it contains an error they all will have.
Ask one vendor to look up for the a year behind and the year after yours to see if a different part number comes up.
If so, see if it can be determined if your truck may have had a running production change or was built near the end of the model year and got the next model year hardware in the build.
Saw this happen before.
Good luck.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:55 PM
PeteRo
New User

I have the same problem, Did anyone ever determine where to get the correct bearing with 1.375" ID?

Thanks
Pete

Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 PM
richis69mach
New User
After exhausting all options I tried one of those websites that say they will locate any bearing for you. I was kind of skeptical about it but to my surprise it worked.. Their website is Bearing Location Service - Timken, Ntn, Ina, Skf, Link-Belt, Dodge. I input the model number of my bearing and got a call from them within 20 minutes. Its been a while back but I believe it was about $26.00 when I bought it.

So what you have to do to make this work is you have get a hold of the center support from SKF part number HB88515. This is the only one that will work for your truck. Once you have the center support you'll have to carefully knock out the bearing that comes with it and replace it with the bearing you will get from Bearing Location Service - Timken, Ntn, Ina, Skf, Link-Belt, Dodge. Also, don't throw away your old center support bracket because your going to have take the mounting plate off the old one and put it on the new one. The holes in the new one didn't line up and was impossible to mount. Hopefully you'll get lucky and get one with the holes that do line up (test fit it to find out). It sounds like a lot to do but it was actually pretty easy to do as long as you have the right tools. The hardest part is taking apart the drive shaft to get to the bearing. I took it to a shop and had them take it apart. They can also press everything back together and then just simply install it. To knock the bearing out I used a pretty big socket. To put the new one in I used a bearing and race seat kit (so that it wouldn't do any damage to the bearing)that you can rent at Autozone. And you will also need a 33mm socket (got this at O'reilly) to tighten the the drive shaft nut. As you tighten this, it will press the bearing back onto the shaft and your ready to install once its tight.

I hope this information is useful and good luck with your project.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 PM
richis69mach
New User
After exhausting all options I tried one of those websites that say they will locate any bearing for you. I was kind of skeptical about it but to my surprise it worked.. Their website is Bearing Location Service - Timken, Ntn, Ina, Skf, Link-Belt, Dodge. I input the model number of my bearing and got a call from them within 20 minutes. Its been a while back but I believe it was about $26.00 when I bought it.

So what you have to do to make this work is you have get a hold of the center support from SKF part number HB88515. This is the only one that will work for your truck. Once you have the center support you'll have to carefully knock out the bearing that comes with it and replace it with the bearing you will get from Bearing Location Service - Timken, Ntn, Ina, Skf, Link-Belt, Dodge. Also, don't throw away your old center support bracket because your going to have take the mounting plate off the old one and put it on the new one. The holes in the new one didn't line up and was impossible to mount. Hopefully you'll get lucky and get one with the holes that do line up (test fit it to find out). It sounds like a lot to do but it was actually pretty easy to do as long as you have the right tools. The hardest part is taking apart the drive shaft to get to the bearing. I took it to a shop and had them take it apart. They can also press everything back together and then just simply install it. To knock the bearing out I used a pretty big socket. To put the new one in I used a bearing and race seat kit (so that it wouldn't do any damage to the bearing)that you can rent at Autozone. And you will also need a 33mm socket (got this at O'reilly) to tighten the the drive shaft nut. As you tighten this, it will press the bearing back onto the shaft and your ready to install once its tight.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for all the detailed info, rich. I've saved that off to a file. My center support bearing is fine now, but someday...

Old 11-17-2014, 02:54 PM
snipesrr
New User
Originally Posted by richis69mach

I need a center line bearing for 2000 F-150, 139" wheel base. Got an after-market and it did not work. Is this what you got?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM
richis69mach
New User
I did get an after market bearing from an online supplier. The site is called Locateballbearings.com. This is for the bearing only not the housing. If your housing is still good then your in luck but if it isn't then you'll have to get that seperately, and replace the bearing that comes preinstalled in it. I got an SKF housing for my truck.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:19 PM
snipesrr
New User
Originally Posted by richis69mach
I did get an after market bearing from an online supplier. The site is called Locateballbearings.com. This is for the bearing only not the housing. If your housing is still good then your in luck but if it isn't then you'll have to get that seperately, and replace the bearing that comes preinstalled in it. I got an SKF housing for my truck.
I called them and they no longer have it. Thanks anyway.