Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Senior User

PSD2005 is starting off with a positive reputation.
rotella ELC in my 6.0l?

I just ran out of my warranty like 5 day's ago,and i've herd that out ford gold could be are week point in our cooling system. I have a coolant filter already,and i'm thinking of trying rotella ELC.I was wording if any of you all have try it or are still use it and if so how is it working out so far. THANKS
Old 08-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Posting Guru

lakewood is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD2005 View Post
I just ran out of my warranty like 5 day's ago,and i've herd that out ford gold could be are week point in our cooling system. I have a coolant filter already,and i'm thinking of trying rotella ELC.I was wording if any of you all have try it or are still use it and if so how is it working out so far. THANKS

Ford Gold coolant is the strong point of the cooling system, the weak point is the casting sand and debries, so still with the Gold coolant and your coolant filter, you should be good.

2005 F-250 CCSB FX4 Lariat PSD
2001 F-350 CCLB XL SRW PSD
I'm a Rev-X dealer. PM me for forum member deals!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Senior User

solaratomic is starting off with a positive reputation.
It really depends on who you talk to. Some guys have switched after warranty and now swear by it. Ohters wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. I myself plan on switching. But it's really your call. I would recommend using the search feature and reading reports of others.
Sold: 1996 F-150 5.0L 2WD Eddie Bauer / 2001 F-150 4x4 5.4L CC Lariat / 2005 Mustang GT
Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
And I heard the way to go was Texaco elc if that makes a diff.
2007 Thor Jazz 5er, 11k dry weight, 31'
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Elder User

djanzen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.djanzen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
Ford Gold coolant is the strong point of the cooling system, the weak point is the casting sand and debries, so still with the Gold coolant and your coolant filter, you should be good.
Actually Ford gold does not meet the BM1 standard that IH uses for there coolant.

2003 CC/SB/4X4 6.0 LARIAT 3.5 leveling kit by fab tech, 08 taillights and bumper, bocar front bumper, 05harley headlights, egr delete by ME. Auber egt, trans,fuel pressure gauges.
2011 F550,vmac compressor,Tiger 5000lb Crane, 11.5 Brutus service Body http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ice-truck.html
Old 08-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Elder User

djanzen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.djanzen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
Texaco makes about 75% of the ELC on the market today, it is just re branded to other company jugs.
And yes it is the way to go!!

2003 CC/SB/4X4 6.0 LARIAT 3.5 leveling kit by fab tech, 08 taillights and bumper, bocar front bumper, 05harley headlights, egr delete by ME. Auber egt, trans,fuel pressure gauges.
2011 F550,vmac compressor,Tiger 5000lb Crane, 11.5 Brutus service Body http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ice-truck.html
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Elder User

Nitrous is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
Can you provide any proof of this claim? Why is it the strong point? Can you provide evidence of why the same coolant that is in the 4 cylinder Ford Focus should be in a Powerstroke diesel? Could it be that Ford gold coolant is sold at the Ford dealership? Why does Navistar use Texaco ELC coolant in this motor? Navistar designed this motor so I think maybe the coolant they use ( and don't make any money from) is the way to go. The sand and gel that is found in the coolant filters may be attributable to precipitate dropout and not necessarily just casting sand.
03 F250 4x4 CC LB 6.0 XLT Sport, Camper Package, Prodigy brake controller, High Idle Mod, Isspro Boost Gauge, Magnaflow 4'' Cat-Back, Ride-Rite air springs, Bilstein shocks, Pro-Comp steering stabilizer, bedliner, Husky 16k 5th wheel hitch. Coolant filter. Urethane swaybar bushings.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous View Post
Can you provide any proof of this claim? Why is it the strong point? Can you provide evidence of why the same coolant that is in the 4 cylinder Ford Focus should be in a Powerstroke diesel? Could it be that Ford gold coolant is sold at the Ford dealership? Why does Navistar use Texaco ELC coolant in this motor? Navistar designed this motor so I think maybe the coolant they use ( and don't make any money from) is the way to go. The sand and gel that is found in the coolant filters may be attributable to precipitate dropout and not necessarily just casting sand.

Im not a scientist, so technically no, i've always been told to run gold coolant so i will, it would be nice if someone had a comparison to Ford gold and texaco elc or whatever else. Ill stick with the Ford gold for now, unless i see proof of other brands working better.

I didnt know navistar used Texaco elc, sorry for being a coolant noob

Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Senior User

CAMPINGTOM is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm keeping an eye on the gold coolant that's been in my truck for 10k miles since the egr delete. Someone suggested that high temp in the egr cooler was causing the gold coolant to form precipitates, while the elc coolant will not do that.

2006 E-150 work van

Old 08-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post

WOW.... did not now about Texaco maybe i will try it.How long have you all been use it?Also the EGR delete was not in my idea,i when with the bullet proof EGR.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPINGTOM View Post
I'm keeping an eye on the gold coolant that's been in my truck for 10k miles since the egr delete. Someone suggested that high temp in the egr cooler was causing the gold coolant to form precipitates, while the elc coolant will not do that.
There is quite a good technical discussion on this at TDS. Much of it is theory and opinion, but that is where learning starts IMO. I have been a staunch advocate of OEM fluids, but I am seriously considering the ELC coolant when my warranty runs out. Until then, I will frequently check the nitrite levels and flush the coolant every 40k miles (every 2 years). I believe that the flushes and the coolant filter will keep my system healthy. I will say that I was one of the group that found a TON of solids when I first installed the coolant filter. I know that my oil cooler is partially plugged due to the first 15k miles, but I monitor it and it is not too bad.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 08-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Senior User

Well having a hard time finding some,but i called International and he said that he had fleetrite but i thought he said it was EL1 50/50 not for sure tho.Fleetrite is the same as rotella is it?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
yes it is.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Posting Guru

i was at international today, bought fleetrite for my 7.3, they didnt have the red concentrated only green..... i'd rather change it more often anyways

Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Post Fiend

Just make sure it is coolant for diesel engines.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1994, 60, 60l, concentrate, coolant, diesel, elc, ford, navistar, powerstroke, powerstrokes, psd, rotella, shell, sold, texaco