Who makes a performance 7.3l engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:28 PM
FossenRacing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who makes a performance 7.3l engine?

I will say it right now so everyone knows
I am a gasoline guy. i know a little about diesels but not much.
I recently bought a 2003 king ranch with the 6.0l. i wanted a 7.3l but for 7 grand I will take her. was in great shape and i knew its history.
It ran great for a while and i thought i stumbled across the best 6.0l ever made. then reality struck and the dreaded check the old engine light came on. then it started idleing wierd. then going down the highway it would lag a little and i'd step into it a little more to keep up my speed, then it would just kick in and go like a SOB. then my lights started strobing.
Code reader said that it was injector control pressure sensor, my local dealer said they could book it in and do it for $300 plus labour.
Now i am one of those cheap son of a guns that like to do my own wrenching, so that i know its done best and any other hick-ups along the way are dealt with also.
Then i thought well **** i want the 7.3l in there.
ive swaped plenty of motors and trannies so why not. mostly in older trucks but i am a wizz with wiring.
I thought well hell in 03 the 6.0l was introduced and the wiring has to be close with the 02 7.3l.
But i want a mean motor so my question is:
Is there any Reputable company that make a 7.3l longblock or turnkey crate. or should i get a stock crate from FoMoCo?
I plan on using a 7.3 tranny, either auto or 5 speed.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:48 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
There have been some posts about H.O. 7.3's and some links to ebay but I don't remember anyone actually buying and using one. Usually if someone wants a stronger 7.3 they build it themselves. Some of the diesel specialty shops could build you one or locate one. Just have to start doing a search on the web and check local diesel shops. Sorry, not much help on specifics. Although, Black Magic in Cedar Rapids, Iowa Home Page and Clay at RiffRaff Riffraff Diesel may be able to help you.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:38 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FossenRacing
I will say it right now so everyone knows
I am a gasoline guy. i know a little about diesels but not much.
I recently bought a 2003 king ranch with the 6.0l. i wanted a 7.3l but for 7 grand I will take her. was in great shape and i knew its history.
It ran great for a while and i thought i stumbled across the best 6.0l ever made. then reality struck and the dreaded check the old engine light came on. then it started idleing wierd. then going down the highway it would lag a little and i'd step into it a little more to keep up my speed, then it would just kick in and go like a SOB. then my lights started strobing.
Code reader said that it was injector control pressure sensor, my local dealer said they could book it in and do it for $300 plus labour.
Now i am one of those cheap son of a guns that like to do my own wrenching, so that i know its done best and any other hick-ups along the way are dealt with also.
Then i thought well **** i want the 7.3l in there.
ive swaped plenty of motors and trannies so why not. mostly in older trucks but i am a wizz with wiring.
I thought well hell in 03 the 6.0l was introduced and the wiring has to be close with the 02 7.3l.
But i want a mean motor so my question is:
Is there any Reputable company that make a 7.3l longblock or turnkey crate. or should i get a stock crate from FoMoCo?
I plan on using a 7.3 tranny, either auto or 5 speed.
The big question is, How much money are you going to sink into this endeavor? Give the boys at Swamps, or Empire a call and they can certainly provide you with a hopped up 7.3, but realize that you are looking at $10K to $12K for a mildy built motor and tranny. Pair that with the $7K you already have into the truck, and you might find it easier to just start over with a 7.3 based truck

Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
If smog laws similar to California's ever arrive at your doorstep, you'll have to replace the 7.3 with another 6.0.

I believe this exercise will prove to be completely futile in the long run.

I'd just buy a 7.3-powered truck and be done with it.

But it's YOUR time and money......

Good luck!

Pop

Old 08-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
If (and this is a really big IF ), you have the cash, Zane at Wide Open Performance has a really nice, cryo treated long block.

"Our 7.3L PSD Long Block is custom built here, in-house, to the highest standards. This is the same engine we run in our 10-second F350 and our Quad Turboed Power Stroke Dragster. These will be capable of support 800+ horsepower. We start off by cryogenically treating the engine block, crankshaft, camshaft, and pistons. This short block contains performance pistons, billet connecting rods, WOP main stud girdle kit, H11 head studs, fire ring head gasket kit, new water pump and oil pan. The heads are completely rebuilt using our Hi-Rev valve springs, chromoly pushrods, hardened seats and Inconal stell performance valves. The motors are fully machined, balanced, and blue printed. It will come fully assembled ready to accept your high pressure oil system and turbocharger. For more details on this long block, please call, as custom builds to customer specs are available."

Wide Open Performance - Online Store

Cost: $15,600.00

If I had a spare 20k burning a hole in my pocket, that's what I'd get.

Stewart

Old 08-08-2010, 04:01 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
If smog laws similar to California's ever arrive at your doorstep, you'll have to replace the 7.3 with another 6.0.

I believe this exercise will prove to be completely futile in the long run.

I'd just buy a 7.3-powered truck and be done with it.

But it's YOUR time and money......

Good luck!

Pop
I was thinking the same thing as Pop. You can put a newer engine in and old vehicle, but not the other way around. They look for that emissions crap during inspection in some states.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
The loop hole to that is (POSSIBLY!), since both engines were offered for that model year, he could get it approved.

It's like my 1990 5.0 Mustang. They came from the factory with 302 engines, but I can put a 351 into it because Saleen put them in the Mustangs that model year too, and they were considered factory built cars, where smog is concerned.

It would have to be researched, but I bet it would be ok'd since his truck is an '03.

Stewart

Old 08-08-2010, 04:27 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wasn't Kris PowerstrokeJunkie selling his monster of a motor here or did he sell it already?? For just the motor it was 7,000.00 but it was built.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:50 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
Don't forget you'll also need to swap out the torqueshift tranny with a 4R100 and the wiring for tranny and engine also. A lot easier to start with a 7.3L based truck.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:54 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a crew cab Lariat or XLT 7.3L swap out all the body parts and interior parts from the 6.0 and resell the 6.0 as a lariat or XLT it would be alot cheaper then swapping in a 7.3L heck if you was going that route might as well swap in a cummins for the price.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
The loop hole to that is (POSSIBLY!), since both engines were offered for that model year, he could get it approved.

It's like my 1990 5.0 Mustang. They came from the factory with 302 engines, but I can put a 351 into it because Saleen put them in the Mustangs that model year too, and they were considered factory built cars, where smog is concerned.

It would have to be researched, but I bet it would be ok'd since his truck is an '03.

Stewart

Good point. I didn't think of that. Mike has a good point though about the trans. Its a whole different beast.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:16 PM
kccatpower
Senior User
i hate to say it but for the price of a 7.3 motor could you do upgrades to make the 6.0 reliable? not real familiar with what it would take on the 6.0 but seems like it would be cheaper and easier than a motor swap.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 PM
97oneton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
If (and this is a really big IF ), you have the cash, Zane at Wide Open Performance has a really nice, cryo treated long block.

Wide Open Performance - Online Store

Cost: $15,600.00

If I had a spare 20k burning a hole in my pocket, that's what I'd get.

Stewart
i think you would be better repairing the 6 0 and selling it, then finding a 7 3 to build,on that note if you want bad azz and have the money call wide open.they have the fastest obs for a reason

Old 08-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Want-A-Be 7.3
Senior User
If you wanted to keep the 6.0L there are some tech features in www.powerstrokemag.com Sept. 2009 for 6.0L Power Stroke recipes on a budget build, also in July 2009 issue, they have a tech feature "Every 6.0L problem solved", For the money you'll have trying to drop in a 7.3 you could make a dependable 6.0 since you already have the truck. just my $.02 worth