Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
What did you do to the X today?

I did the intake heater element delete today. Couldn't find a plug so I made one. The plug if you are wondering is metric, M22 1.5mm thread pitch. I used blue loctite only when installing the plug in the intake.

Pics for your pleasure.

Everything that comes out with the heater:

Turning metal:

Threaded:

Milling the flats for the hex, at first I was only going to put two flats on it but I figured that wouldn't be good enough for you guys so I did the hex and messed it up. lol

There it is:

See the hex isn't right because I did it quick and just eyeballed it.

The following users liked this post:

Top Answer

07-19-2022, 09:16 PM
jmko
Trailering
Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Full LED swap

Replaced dash lights with VLED lights. They are brighter and fit more snugly in bulb base than Amazon cheapies. They are worth the premium, imo. TIP: Do NOT use led’s for indicator lights (ie seat belt or check engine), because they glow even when off. I just put in fresh incandescents for inidcator bulbs. Another tip: make sure bulb polarity is correct - check that bulbs work, and if not, flip them. Dont be like me and forget to check turn signals!

Replaced all dash lights and in overhead controls. Tip when removing dash: Disconnect battery, engage parking brake, Turn key to ON so accessories work but dont crank engine, then move shift lever all the way down to first gear. Its really the only way to remove dash without breaking any plastic. Be careful with a black plastic insert underneath the topside of the dash.

It’s a 7.3 and yes i actually get 17mpg even when I calculate by hand!

splurged on $140 vled V6 extreme for reverse lights and they are worth it! This truck is huge and i want to see well and i want people to see me coming. https://www.vleds.com/v6-triton-extreme-kit-w-3156.html

VLEDs off

VLEDs ON

VLEDs overhead up front are white and bright! tip: the delicate metal ribbon on one of the map light bases is torn, but I just pushed the two pieces together and put everything in and they stayed connected for a long road trip. (watch youtube and youll see what i mean)

Confession: I bought cheaper Amazon bulbs for middle rows because my daughter likes the really warm colors, and VLED doesnt offer those.

Back to bright white VLEDs for the trunk!

VLEDs for running boards. If youre cheap and get Amazon bulbs (ie spend your money wisely haha), id recommend getting 4 VLEDs for running boards anyway. They really do fit a lot more snug and I worried that a looser fitting bulb might jostle loose in the running board. Note you can really see the difference in the interior bulb warmth: front is cool white and middle rows are warm.

These mirrors came with incadescents that you could hardly see and were white. Replaced them with Sylvania ZEVO amber bulbs. Cheaper than VLEDs and they look good.

Sylvania ZEVOs for brake and side marker lights. They are bright and it’s a name brand’s premium light so hoping they last

Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Paul T
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my black lab to the vet today. I had my 7 year old sit in the 3rd row seat to keep the dog in the back. Coming home I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed the 7 year old asleep. A few minutes later I looked again and the lab was sitting in the 3rd row seat beside the sleeping girl. If the 12 year old had not been in the 2nd row seats the lab would have eventually been in the seat beside me.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:14 PM
DRM
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I added some 20" rims and OEM SuperDuty take-off tires to mine.

The following 2 users liked this post by DRM:
Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Turq
New User
Project for the day

I (with the help of a good friend) did the B mod springs today. Added all new poly bushings in the springs. Added about 1.5in to the rear.

That put the rake back in the Ex's stance; I had the V codes done by the dealership on Thursday. You should have heard them complain that their quote was too low by the time they finished the job.

I can still fit the beast in the garage!

I will probably get some signature pics new week.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i filled mine up does that count? lol also going to aim the new headlights in a bit.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
I filled mine up too (the pump cut off at $100.00), while at the station the guy changed the sign from 2.89 to 2.93.

Today I am going to clean the interior, the kids have made a mess it.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:08 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
New Rancho RS 5410 steering stablizer and alignment on the 2000 X.
The 05 is getting the RS 5410 next week!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 AM
SD26
Senior User
Got my X back from the body shop just recently. A tornado hit us in June. Insurance company wanted to use used glass, but that's hard to find.

Found a new chrome front bumper to replace the rusting painted one, and the body shop put it on for me.

Anyone interested in buying a brand new Excursion front grill in mineral gray? Would like to change that to the 2005 cut off model, and moving that along would help me out.

Really missed driving my Excursion. Shop did a great job!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Drove the X with the intake heater delete mod last night. Seams to be good!

btw I could really use some votes in this ford truck picture contest.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...und-8-a-6.html

Old 08-08-2010, 02:24 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I just tracked the shipping progress of my Rancho RS9000 shocks and steering stabilizer. Can't wait for Tuesday!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:22 PM
slenser
More Turbo
Yesterday I had a new air filter installed. They did the install for free since I was returning for them to re-fix a job they did a couple days ago. Then when I got home I changed out the transfer case fluid with some Royal Purple. I can't wait to change out the f & r differential fluids, tranny fluid and install the new Bilstein steering stabilizer I ordered. I love my truck.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:17 PM
joenmell
Junior User
I have a problem with the passenger door panel. My wife likes to put her foot on the door pocket and it is broken off. Came like this when we bought it and I have tried numerous ways to get it fixed. Wound up getting a small "L" bracket and some screws and just put a bracket on it. Looks kinda "rigged" but it works until I can afford some new door panels.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Hollywood703
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did a brake job on my front brakes....Now this may not sound like much, but I only ever did my first oil change myself about 2 months ago....I am mechanically inclined but found it easier to take it to someone to do it....No assistance other than the Forums....so im pretty happy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hollywood703:
Old 08-08-2010, 10:28 PM
blackford4x4
Freshman User
Pulled the front end out gonna pick up the v code springs tomorrow. The bolts holding the front of the spring are a real pain in the . Gonna hold off and put the B's on the rear this weekend.

This is the reason for the swap... well the reason to have to do it now been wanting to for awhile now.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I started work on the only rust on my X, the bottom of the drivers side front door. I pealed back the skin where it folds over the shell of the door, cleaned all the loose rust out and POR-15ed everything, folded the lip back and por'ed again. After the por set up a little I took a syringe and injected por-15 into the clip holes for the lower rubber piece. So the whole bottom crack of the door should be submerged and sealed once dry with POR-15. The passenger side front door just had a little minor surface rust just starting at the seam, I also cleaned that door up and injected it as well with por. Tomorrow I will be able to paint it back white and eventually put the rubber back on.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?