Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Yesterday, I took my X out to strech her legs on a week long business trip. Already hit the first leg of the journey and so far she is loving it! This will take me all over east Texas and into the DFW area so my Adrenaline HPOP should be well broken in by the time I get back home. Love my X to death, it's ever so comfy and always the best for roadtrips...

Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 AM
DRM
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Must be nice having a 2 post lift in the shop!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's some serious rust.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by DRM
Must be nice having a 2 post lift in the shop!
Forgot to mention that I'm VERY jealous of that lift in the shop...plan on building myself a barn with the same lift or better.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 AM
tonyurban
New User
Installed my front two Bilstein shocks... I was too hot and irritated by a stubborn bolt to do the rears. Maybe next weekend.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hwybee22
That's some serious rust.

Thank god it is only the drivers side door that was that bad. Like I mentioned the pass. side door has a little rust but nothing like the D side. This truck was from central IN. and being a 2wd and older people pulling a camper before me I don't think the truck ever seen snow or salt. The rust didn't look as bad as it was which is normally the case.

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Forgot to mention that I'm VERY jealous of that lift in the shop...plan on building myself a barn with the same lift or better.

I've wanted a lift for years and years. Finally when the new shop was built I was able to pour the fiber mesh cement and make all the clearances for the lift. I do all kinds of work from fabrication to paint to just bolt on parts for people so a lift is almost a must. I will never ever ever go back to working off the floor again!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I did the intake heater element delete today. Couldn't find a plug so I made one.
Riffraff Diesel: AIH Delete Plugs

I used the tapped fitting since I hooked up my boost guage to it.

I am impressed by you making your own tho! I wish I had those skills!

Originally Posted by Turq
I had the V codes done by the dealership on Thursday. You should have heard them complain that their quote was too low by the time they finished the job.
What the heck were they complaining about? The fronts are easier than the rears. 4 bolts and the front bumper is off and the springs come out easy-sleezy after that.

How much did they charge you?

Originally Posted by blackford4x4
The bolts holding the front of the spring are a real pain in the .
Were they frozen?

Stewart

Old 08-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Dan Reinbold
Senior User
Stared out the window at it, desperately wishing I had some extra $. Man I love the thing!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM
slenser
More Turbo
Sorry to thread-jack, but what is the air intake heater element delete for? Is this something I should be planning for in the future? My list just keeps getting longer and longer! I'm not complaining, though. I love my truck.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by slenser
Sorry to thread-jack, but what is the air intake heater element delete for? Is this something I should be planning for in the future? My list just keeps getting longer and longer! I'm not complaining, though. I love my truck.

To open up the intake pipe more. The heater sits in the intake and creates a small restriction just before the air dumps into the motor. This is off of RiffRaff's site:

FAQ: What is the real purpose of the intake heater, and when does Ford say it will operate normally?
"To reduce white smoke during long idle periods at low ambient temperatures, the PCM will activate the intake air heater. Specific conditions must be present before the heater is activated: "
  • ambient temperature must be below 0 deg C (32 deg F)
  • engine oil temperature must be below 55 deg C (131 deg F)
  • vehicle power must be between 11.8 and 15 volts
  • parking brake must be applied on manual transmission vehicles
  • the transmission must be on park or neutral on automatic transmission vehicles
  • glow plugs must be off

Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 PM
blackford4x4
Freshman User
They had blue LockTite on them and are the crimped bolt the bolts laughed at my old POS impact, one more reason for a new tool trip to Oreillys new impact and things were better but still slow. Got the V codes on the front tonight and happy so far thought it would lift more, got about 1.5" holding off on the rear until cooler weather

Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Don't forget, how much of a lift you get is always dependant on how bad your springs are in the first place, as well as if the V's are new or used.

Stewart

Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
ARP Head Studs
Liberator Oil Cooler
Bulletproof EGR Cooler
New All Aluminum Radiator
SCT Livewire is on the way with Innovative custom tunes
Hawk LTS Brake Pads are on the way

Whew! I hope this truck runs a long long time after all of this cash that I've spent!

Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 AM
idahof350
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saturday I installed a K&N intake kit and switched it over to Royal Purple. Sunday I re-tuned the truck, new slightly less aggressive timing maps, an economy tune, and messed with the shift firmness and the shift schedule. Really happy with the new tune...

Today, well Monday morning, since I guess it's technically Tuesday now, we all got in the X and drove 730 miles from Southern California to Boise Idaho, and tomorrow we head up to Northern Idaho.

Really have to give the V10 credit, open highway we have averaged 13.75mpg, and the 730 miles were tallied up in just at 11 hours of driving.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:46 AM
hkaiser83
Senior User
Just added Freon to it yesterday. I have a leak somewhere =(

But this weekend I'm getting wheels and tires for it. Going to get the Goodyear Silent Armors in a 305/70/16 configuration. Not sure about the wheels to be honest. But something in a 16x9 or 16x10. Would like some welds. Going to do the Amsoil Bypass FIltration and Synthetic Oil this weekend if I get that in.

Taking the truck up into the Mountains in Colorado in November so I'm trying to get her prepared for it. Can anyone think of anything a Houston native Houston 05 4x4 6.0 PS Excursion would need?

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?