Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:35 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the Ex hauled some split cedar fencing, a few bags of concrete mix, a couple plants and a few other odds and ends, and yet not a single photo was taken...

Man do I love the Ex and all it is capable of doing.

Tomorrow is a two hour run up to a church girl's camp to pull security for the night. Nothing like a road trip with the dog and some camping in the back of the Ex!

Old 07-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Hey Razzi, can I post up my AMP boards and front bumper in the "Free" section if I only ask for a "small" rehoming fee?
I'm not Razzi, but I can answer that for you my friend, and unfortunately there can be no exceptions.

Stewart

Old 07-12-2016, 10:01 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I'm not Razzi, but I can answer that for you my friend, and unfortunately there can be no exceptions.

Stewart
I guess he won't be playing his trumpet at your birthday party

Old 07-12-2016, 10:05 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
Man do I love the Ex and all it is capable of doing.

Nothing like a road trip with the dog and some camping in the back of the Ex!
Wait until you reach Stewart's age, that'll change

Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
So I was towing on two lane blacktops with zero shoulder in high wind and high temps. Around 96 degrees. I tow a 10k lb camper with two slide outs also the excursion was full of stuff and kids. Here is a picture of my gauges. I would go as high as 230 then the fan would kick in and back down to 220 and that would happen on and off depending how hard I had to push the throttle. I was in the mountains outside of Amarillo,TX. On my rig 230 degrees was pretty common with the heat and the hills and or course 10k lbs hooked up.

Originally Posted by hav24wheel
That's the thing, idk with this rig.. This is the first time pulling heavy in the heat with it. I've only had this rig for 8-10 months. But with a Mishimoto low temp stat I thought they would be lower. Like 210 at the most. Trans temp was good, EGTs stayed good, oil was about same as water. I'm thinkin the clutch fan isn't up to par.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:40 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Stewart
They are much to big/pain to ship. I don't plan on listing them for sale anywhere other than CL to be honest. Had I been serious I NEVER would have made that post

Old 07-13-2016, 08:38 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Watcher58
I think we need a new thread "What did your X do to you today?" Ouch!
Better call it" How much lighter is your wallet due to the EX today".... Oh wait, that's the powerstroke section...

Old 07-13-2016, 08:38 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Dropped off the EX for the True Trac. I'll see if the guy can get a pic before the cover goes on.

Turbo rebuild this weekend. Adding new clamps and the intake crush sleeves. If I have time I'll be changing my PCV bypass as well.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Had some hair raising fun this weekend... Friday there was a pop and then metallic swishing when I hit the brakes. Figured it was a good sign to do the brakes despite them being fairly recent. Oh well, stuff happens and defects in parts are hiding with Murphy in the corner, waiting for the least opportune moment.

Next day I go to limp it to the parents where my big tools are still stored (recently moved to a new house), and there was yet another pop, the pedal got super firm, and then NO brakes. Scrubbed speed off by dragging the passenger tires on the curb touch'n'go, then hooked into a parking lot and coasted in circles to bleed speed down along with trans downshifts. Sure enough....

Limped it home and ripped it apart, was NOT expecting this:

$300 later, rear brakes are entirely new minus caliper brackets and dust shield. Budget didn't allow me to replace the parking brake, which has been toast since my ex drove the truck 6 miles with it set years ago. After this recent... excitement... I shall be replacing the parking brake assemblies as soon as finances allow.

But wait! There's more! The wife's car (back up vehicle) decided to blow the transmission! THE SAME DAY! What's more, it was already replaced once under warranty two months ago, which is ridiculous. It's a 2012 Cruze with less than 80k on it. And THIS dealership is trying to say she hit something due to the driver rocker being munched from a curb check two years ago. Saying she hit something and it ripped the cv shaft out of the trans... Nevermind that the alignment is true, the undercarriage is spotless and zero damage, and the cv shaft is in between the upper and lower control arms which, you guessed it, are PERFECTLY FINE.

I can't wait to get rid of that damn car. Clean full size Bronco, body-totaled Super Duty, some interior and drivetrain/axle swap, and she has her new vehicle.

Flip side, the Excursion was an easy fix. Thank God her trans blew up here, she just got into town on Friday after driving from Phoenix.
Hey what you expect , it's a chevy !

What exactly happened to the brakes ? Did the piston seals blow or something?

Reminds me to fix my parking brake...

Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt

That sucks. Since I learned of the phenolic pistons I questioned their reliability. But they seem to be doing ok on most trucks/X's. At least till they get a crack in them.

Also while on it there should have been a tiny bit of brake pedal left at the very end of its travel to work the still good (front) brake system. Basicly right at the floor but still something.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:37 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Installed and painted new timken wheel hub assemblies

Old 07-13-2016, 12:46 PM
74Mav
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CEJONES56
Drove the ol girl up Pikes Peak two days ago while visiting my Brother in Colorado Springs.

JESUS!!! I swear I got vertigo looking at this pic...

Old 07-13-2016, 01:34 PM
MDH16
Junior User
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
Driving home from Seattle, had a guy pull up next to me on the highway and start taking photos, he then rolled down the window and yelled, "I Love Your Truck!"

Then at the drive-thru, the kid taking the money, he could not stop starring and commenting and pretty much drooling on it. He said it was something like the Diesel Brothers would make... My response, "nope, mine is still practical."

Must be something in the air, because the Ex got a lot of love today.
You know it's the strangest thing. My Ex looks bone stock, it's clean, but stock. It's nothing like some of the works of art that you guys have built (yet, give me time and money). I get more comments and compliments on that truck than anything I've ever driven. Strangers just walk up to me and tell me how much they like it, the most common comment, is something along the lines of "man, I love those things, I wish I'd bought one when they still made them" or "is that a 7.3 Excursion? Awesome!"

Old 07-13-2016, 01:56 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by MDH16
You know it's the strangest thing. My Ex looks bone stock, it's clean, but stock. It's nothing like some of the works of art that you guys have built (yet, give me time and money). I get more comments and compliments on that truck than anything I've ever driven. Strangers just walk up to me and tell me how much they like it, the most common comment, is something along the lines of "man, I love those things, I wish I'd bought one when they still made them" or "is that a 7.3 Excursion? Awesome!"
What color? Pics? Congrats!

Old 07-13-2016, 03:10 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by lamb1133
Converted the EX into a mobile puppy whelping comand center.

Good luck with the pups... like the collar.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?